Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Water in 4th gen tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in 4th gen tail lights

Has anyone tried making bulb connector gaskets out of neoprene to keep water out of the 4th gen tail lights? I'm thinking of trying it unless there's something I can just buy and slap in.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking bulb socket gaskets

I just bought a '96 WS6 and my left rear tail lamp housing was damn near full of water! from what I have read here and other places, these tail lights are well known for "Delaminating" in other words- the clear outer panel starts to separate from the rear portion, I believe the water running down the rear hatch glass (Coupes) rolls right across the top of the tail lamps, and pours right into the housings. I'd say this is where the water is getting into your housings from. most everyone says to drill several small holes across the bottom of the tail light housing to drain the water as it comes in. these are pretty difficult to get the clear cover off to re attach to the main housing without breaking them, but depending on how bad they are delaminated (separating) you may be able to squirt a little clear RTV sealer between the edges and then clamp the two sections together until they dry. sure beats paying $250+ per tail lamp....... I really doubt the bulb socket gasket is the culprit.
HTH,
Ben Smith
Old 09-01-2019, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

My passenger side taillight was about half full when I noticed it. I removed it and poured out the water, then put a hair dryer on it for about 2 hours "on and off" I ran a bead of silicon all the way around the seam of it. I think mine was leaking on the top of the housing where the water runs down the sides of the hatch directly into the taillight. I haven't seen anymore water in the taillight since I sealed it up about 3 months ago.

Quick Reply: Water in 4th gen tail lights