Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

flasher replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flasher replacement

I have a 98 firebird 3.8 auto.. anyways my flasher for my turn signals is pretty slow and loud, so I was going to change the flasher because its inexpensive... anyways can anyone tell me where its located? I know its in the cab but is it under the dash? or? sorry bout the questions thought someone would be able to tell me pretty easily rather then me take forever searching for it
Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this. Look for the thread "turn signal relay". Piece of cake. It was difficult to find until I popped the same question.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two of them. One for the flashers, one for the turn signals. One is locates under the steering column, the other is off to the side.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well my Flashers flash but my turn signals don't blink unless I manually blink it with my finger. .. They light up when I click iy on but they only stay lit upinstead of blinking.... do I have the same problem?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
Well my Flashers flash but my turn signals don't blink unless I manually blink it with my finger. .. They light up when I click iy on but they only stay lit upinstead of blinking.... do I have the same problem?
If all of your bulbs are in good working order, then you need flashers.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
If all of your bulbs are in good working order, then you need flashers.
fronts are bad but rears work, will their not flash if a bulb is bad? I thought it would blink fast... guess ill replace the front bulbs and see what happens
Old 04-22-2013, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
fronts are bad but rears work, will their not flash if a bulb is bad? I thought it would blink fast... guess ill replace the front bulbs and see what happens
In your car, if you have a bad blinker bulb, the they will not "hyper flash". The good bulb will light and stay on. You can manually flash all you want, but the burned out bulb will never light. These cars are notorious for their faulty front driving lights/ front blinker housings. They are a plastic housing, with plastic lens. When the day time running lights are on, they get hot. This creates a pressure difference between outside and inside temperatures. Making the lens hot, over time cracking and letting moisture in the housings. Ever notice water or moisture in the housings? Well, the bulb sockets mount from the bottom. This is were the water sits, and corrosion eats the sockets. You can go to a place like Auto Zone and get a GM socket. I tried this method first. But the after market part they sell never fit quite right. The bulb would always work loose in a few weeks. Plus water can still get in.
So I said screw it. I went to a junk yard, and cut off a front blinker off a Grand AM. Just about all GM cars use these. Hopped on ebay, ordered a new set of front housings, hopped on superbrightled.com and ordered the CORRECT amber daytime running lights with blinkers leds. This fixed my problem, and the front end looks brand new again. HOWEVER, if you do this you have to upgrade the flashers for leds, or they will hyper flash.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the front driver side drl works, it flashes when I unlock the car, but emergency flashers or blinkers it won't light up so maybe the second stage of the bulb is bad or something is wrong up front with the lighting
Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More times than not, it's just a bad bulb or socket. Try popping in new bulbs. My car had the black plastic base on the light melt in addition to the bulb blowing. Once I dug the old plastic out and put a new bulb in, it was all good.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well last night for the first time since I owned the car the blinker worked, it worked until I shutit off andit doesn't work anymore so Idk Wtf is wrong with it :/

Quick Reply: flasher replacement