Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

BOOT HAD LOTS OF FLUID. Help! Rack and Pinion.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BOOT HAD LOTS OF FLUID. Help! Rack and Pinion.

So I was trying to remove the bolt for my passenger front lower arm and I forgot to move the steering wheel to the left to gain room for bolt removal....Long story short I punctured the rack and pinion inner rod BOOT, lots of fluid spilled out like a faucet. I was already having problem with air in the steering 'cause my reservoir is leaking.

My question is:
-Is it normal for this much thin fluid to be in the boot? Someone told me I have a bad gasket in the rack and it spilled into the boot.
-Is it OK to just let it spill into the airtight boot and forget about it? ...I'VE ALREADY REPLACED THE BOOT.

I might just replace the whole rack if anyone thinks I should. I hope it's an easy job, I already have my tie rod ends disconnected.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, a member on this site said I need to replace the rack...
Good thing I know someone who has a used one, close friend so I'm not worried. Always good to know a fellow F-body owner....he's been parting out one of his...good for me.

Always make sure to check if it's the right rack...mines would need to be the FE4 suspension package, not the F41.

Quick Reply: BOOT HAD LOTS OF FLUID. Help! Rack and Pinion.