Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Advice Please

Old 05-26-2013, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Please

This is my car and I bought it when I was 18. I am going to keep it till the day I die because it is the first car I ever purchased and I love seeing an old man driving a car from his generatoin. My car is a 2000 Pontiac Firebird and I got my license in 2002, so I like to say this is my generation model.

Please excuse me I'm very new to engines and am learning basics (VERY NEW) My vehicle is only a V6 3.8L. My original plans were to rip it out and put a V8 or just somthign big in it. I have been researching and it seems putting money into a 3.8L can actually result in a nice fast machine. I am juggling the two ideas and leaning toward keeping my 3.8L. Its rare to see it in my area and would like the attention it would bring. The only thing I feel i will miss is the rumble of the V8.

My Question : Is it a dumb idea to stick wtih my 3.8L or is it a viable option. I dont need to be SUPER fast but I want to be able to beat at least a stock 8. Please all the input is appreciated!

..Another reason I would love to keep the 3.8L is to show all of my friends and co-workers who give me crap for having a 3.8L and a "Fast" looking car and shut them up.

Thank you for your time!
Attached Thumbnails Advice Please-23606_10150111646560626_6273504_n.jpg  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of budget are you working with? This will let others know how to better answer your request .
Old 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM

I'm new to forums also.... I dont know how to make the picture big on my post!! I try with my facebook link but its a broken image.

I have an agreement with my wife that budget will not be an issue. I would say up to 15k.

I know i can buy a new car but THIS is my first car.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is going to be tough to make that v6 faster then the stock ls1. Is a turbo out of the question? I really am not sure if anyone makes a kit for the v6. For your budget you can do a complete ls1 swap. Where are you located? If you are close to a large LS based shop they could help you out with this better then me.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris Meyer
I'm new to forums also.... I dont know how to make the picture big on my post!! I try with my facebook link but its a broken image.

I have an agreement with my wife that budget will not be an issue. I would say up to 15k.

...If you feel that emotionally attached to your car then maybe you should keep it as is and buy an actual TA and go happy modding. That way you'll still have your first car when you're 75 years old and have a fast toy on the side, lol. 15K budget will get you a really nice car with plenty left over for mods.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by snake_skinner93
...If you feel that emotionally attached to your car then maybe you should keep it as is and buy an actual TA and go happy modding. That way you'll still have your first car when you're 75 years old and have a fast toy on the side, lol. 15K budget will get you a really nice car with plenty left over for mods.
Or it will get you a decently modded car off the vehicle classifieds.

If I had a budget like that, I would build. You can find longblocks and everything else you need for well under that limit. Just depends on your goals and desires.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm an older guy and have a different viewpoint. You might consider this idea.
I bought my first car when I was 16 years old, a 1964 Olds F-85. It was in decent shape but didn't have the highest HP engine. I always thought about having that same car again and sometimes still consider it. The thing is, I would be extremely pleased to have a better example than the one I actually owned. Having said that I would take that $15,000 and buy one heck of a sweet low mileage LS1 F-body (get it in the same color if you want) and keep that one for the rest of your life. IMO it would be such a better car to own, and yes, it will be fast!! There would be hardly any difference between the car you now own and the 'new' one, except for the incredible performance. Think about it. The V6 aspect that is slightly bothering you now is going to bother you even more and more as time progresses, no matter what you do to it. Best of luck!!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 98 3.8, and I did love that car, and considered the very thing you are. However, I decided in the end that it would be best to get a good low mileage TA.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:05 PM

I do appreciate all of the input! I did consider buying another one but my wife said I either put money into my current car or I do nothing. I told her i would sell my car when we were in financial trouble and she about slapped me and said she knows how much it means to me! Love that woman.. Everybody seems to be leaning toward just putting a bigger engine in it. I really like that idea but im just afraid once I change the engine how much will i have to change. Will my car be able to handle it and will that stay in my budget?

The reason i leaned toward the V6 improvements was just because its rare and it would be unique. I believe the Grand International ( Not sure if its right but what im told) has the 3.8 and it is a screaming machine!! To be honest my friends have ricer cars and I just want to be able to blow them out with my V6 because of all the crap I have gotten for having it.

I live in Central Wisconsin and I guess a little background might help. I dont need to be the fastest car ever but I just want some snap and just be comparable to a stock V8 at the minimum. I"m a volunteer firefighter and full time police officer. (Rookie)

Please keep the discussion going! At the moment I feel the persuasion is leading me to just put a bigger engine in it
Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ws6fitz
It is going to be tough to make that v6 faster then the stock ls1. Is a turbo out of the question? I really am not sure if anyone makes a kit for the v6. For your budget you can do a complete ls1 swap. Where are you located? If you are close to a large LS based shop they could help you out with this better then me.
No a turbo or supercharger is not out of the question.. They make one for the 3.8 L Monte Carlo that has been moded to fit my car. I would do something like that! I just dont know enough bout either "booster" yet to make a choice if its the right thing to do.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

No a turbo or supercharger is not out of the question.. They make one for the 3.8 L Monte Carlo that has been moded to fit my car. I would do something like that! I just dont know enough bout either "booster" yet to make a choice if its the right thing to do.
With the right tune it will be fine . A power adder is really the only way I can see you beating a stock ls1.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nitrous or a custom turbo system would be the way to go if you're staying with the 6 and want to be quick. I kept my six and bought an 8 too

there are some guys with quick v6 f-body cars on fullthrottlev6.com that may have better answers if you truly decide that's the way you want to go with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice Please