Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

if you daily drive your firebird or t/a please check in here

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default if you daily drive your firebird or t/a please check in here

If you daily drive your bird can you please go over what issues you have had if any, what parts have needed replacing, any out of the ordinary maintenance issues etc...
Can you also advise if your motor/tranny are stock, if modded please explain.
And can you post how many miles you have, how many miles you drive a week/ month etc...
Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I daily mine to work and everywhere else, 190k+.... I've replaced front passenger wheel hub, all 4 shocks and Springs, replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, driver side headlight motor gear, drl sockets, bulbs, turn flasher and hazard flasher, brakes, oil, power steering fluid, coolant flush, I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting, but mind u I've only owned the car since mid January lol

Hope that helps with whatever it is you're looking to find out
Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea since starting back up on this forum a few days ago ive been browsing the threads and have read a lot of your posts about issues you have had, all of the little gremlins are what make me nervous about jumping into another fbody. I will have to sell a perfectly good motorcycle and a perfectly good honda beater car before i can remotly afford another fbody. My wife will rip my nuts out of the sack if our "new used" car has this many issues.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, there are some gremlins, but most of them have been identified for some time on this board, and in many cases, cheap and easy fixes are available. Ask me how I know ...
Old 05-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

I daily drive mine, it's my only vehicle. 119,000 miles, bought it with 64,500 bone stock. Other than the mods in sig, I've replaced the passenger window motor, plug wires, front driver caliper(this morning), IAC, TPS, pads + rotors, radiator cap, fuel cap, breather oil cap, a few trans mounts. I blew up the motor from broken valvesprings, broke the stock 10-bolt from a 4.11 gear change with drag radials (no duh, it was gonna happen!)

Driver's window motor is on its way out along with the left blinker harness, cracked dash (two days ago, sad), bad solder joint on the Body Control board, headlight wire connectors, cracked interior door panels, and the rest of the F-Body Blues.

I drive at least 20 miles per day, 70-80 at most sometimes. Any extended highway drives are around 90-150 round trip. 10,000 a year.

Trans is a fully maxed out 4L60E with the beast , sonnax HD servos, HD overdrive clutches, stage 2 shift kit, HD trans cooler, etc. FTI 3500 stall with a 1.86 STR. Motor is a balanced and blueprinted, forged internal 383ci built to within 2/10,000 inch bearing tolerance, 11:1 cr, HD oil pump, 6-bolt main, magnum pushrods, dual valvesprings, ti retainers, etc. I get on it a lot and this thing is solid, but only after fleshing out all of the weaknesses and gremlins.

2001 NBM Formula A4 T-Top DailyDriver
383ci b&b | 230/236 114+4 XER | ARH 1-3/4" LT | ARH 3" Y-pipe | FTI 3500 1.86 STR | Built 4L60E | BMR k-member | BMR F&R U&L control arms | torque arm | panhard | PST 3.5' | S60 4.11 | 315/35R17 555R
393rwhp / 377rwtq Unlocked
Old 05-27-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my pilot bearing and oil pump went bad on mine. A few light connections were also badly corroded, so i had to replace some wiring. On both my fbodies, ive had window motors go bad and sway bar bushings squeak.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I DD my bird. I bought it from some **** hole when I was stationed in Texas. Shocks, hub assembly's, all bushings, rack and pin, tie rod ends, taillights, headlight assembly, flex-plate (three times) and the block. Most of the other parts I had to replace like cracked exhaust manifolds, I didn't go the OEM route and just upgraded.

The only "issue" that I continue to have is the shitty mpg's.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP -

My bird has been my DD since 2004 @ 77,000 miles; it now has 213,500 miles.

What have I replaced in the driveline?

Everything.

Having said that, it is still my DD and I wouldn't have it any other way - I just put 1,700 miles on it last weekend!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 AM
On The Tree

All this bullshit is why you guys need a daily driver. Leave the berd to fight another day and keep the miles off them. When you hit 160k , all kindsa gremlins come out. Just sayin
Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

The car is a piece of ****. I luv mine like no other. But, it's not a daily. It's a weak , poor quality machine. That's why I hardly drive mine. Don't want it to fly apart like the GM junk that it is. Garbage! Pos. anyways, I love my 02. It's a pos. just keep the miles low and it'll be fine.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I DD mine (LT1) and with 160,000 miles of wear, I've replaced a few things:
Control arm bushings
Shocks
wheel hub
heater core flush
Passenger window fix
turn signal switch
bright switch
hatch struts
opti spark
intake elbow
console lid
wiper mount
rear control arm
rotors (warped )
Radiator hose
sway bar end links
tie rod ends
ball joints

Unfortunately I didn't put those 160k miles on it and all this stuff was worn out or broken when I got it.

Last edited by fbody_brian; 05-28-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Launching!

2002 T/A that I use as a 3 season daily. Bought it 3yrs ago with 146k, just turned 148k last week.

Havnt had to replace much imo...

Front hubs (didn't need it, was chasing a noise lol)
Both belts and idler and tensioner pullys
Front driving light sockets
Plugs
Oil change

The driver window motor is weak, but other than that she's still running strong and I have no complaints on this 11yr old car that probly had the **** ran out of it before I took possession.

Last edited by 02 NHRA; 05-28-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I drive mine every day. Has 81,000 miles on it.

The only thing that has ever went out that I did not consider to be normal maintenance was the driver's side window motor, which was easy to fix.

I have replaced the battery, brakes, shocks, oil, radiator flush, plugs, wires, belts and various other routine maintenance items. In fact I over-maintain the car.

But I have never had anything go out that I would say is due to faulty engineering or design. Mine is a very reliable daily driver.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

I don't necessarily DD mine, but i split the time between my SRT4(better MPG on the 80 mile drive to work) and my Formula. Just replaced the belt, idler pulley, belt tensioner, and alternator to try and get rid of a squeak

Other than that, havent really had anything mechanically go wrong. 308k is whats on the dash right now, oil pressure is good(need to replace the sending unit) but its always right where it should be. The problem you run into with the cars is that it seems people sell them when lots of little things start to go wrong: window motors, BCM, headlight motors, coolant light. So we as second-, or third-hand owners get stuck with doing all the hair pulling fixes before we get to mod the car.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Owned mine for a year. Bought it with 39k miles, now at 55k.
Replaced AC compressor twice, AC clutch, serpentine belt, intake manifold gasket, oil pan gasket, have a misfire code right now I'm trying to trace down, driver window motor, exhaust hangar, catalytic convertor (today), both headlight motors, 4 or 5 coolant flushes trying to get the oil out from when the intake manifold gasket went out, power door locks don't work after the factory alarm went out (on either switch, work on the new fob for some reason), the glue on my carpet melted, so it comes up when I vacuum the car, transmission tailshaft bearing/ searing, power steering pump and I feel like I'm forgetting other things, but I don't remember what. I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought it out of storage, though. Doesn't mean it still wasn't a mistake... lol
Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

I D/D my '98 T/A, full bolt-on/N2O car, 125k miles. The only things I would consider out of the ordinary was having to resolder the joints in the BCM, and replacing the bulb sockets/housings for front signals, but those are common issues anyways. Other than that, just normal maintenance and a lot of upgrades/mods.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I daily mine I bought it with 35k and after 2 years now I just crossed 50k last week I've done normal maintenance plugs wires brakes fluids its a 98 a4 btw only major thing I did was suspensions related I've changed front tie rods and sway bar links but the whole rear suspension need to be done since its 15 years old and the shocks in the rear are getting kind of weak I considered getting a daily driver so I don't rack up miles on my once "low mileage car" but on a college student budget its just wasn't possible and I realized its not a Rolls Royce its not a Bentley its a Pontiac. Not saying that I hate it I just rather drive it and enjoy it why would I let someone else enjoy it? I wanted to sell it to try to flip but I just couldn't let it go I love driving it and ill continue drive it everyday.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CopMagnet
The car is a piece of ****. I luv mine like no other. But, it's not a daily. It's a weak , poor quality machine. That's why I hardly drive mine. Don't want it to fly apart like the GM junk that it is. Garbage! Pos. anyways, I love my 02. It's a pos. just keep the miles low and it'll be fine.
Yeah, me too. That and I don't want some fucktard putting door dings in it. I daily'ed my red Trans Am the whole time I had it, but I was a lot happier once I relegated the Formula to the garage.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Teching In

I have had mine for 6 years. It had 33000 when I brought it. It now has 76000 on it and only thing I did was oil changes and drivers window motor but car was bone stock! Now that I molested it is another story. Pretty much stock not alot of problems but once you build them alot goes!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I've owned mine for 10 years, put almost 100K miles on it, it's knocking on 160K right now.

Done:
Rebuilt engine + mods
New suspension/bushings, etc.
Rebuilt 4L60E twice, now has T-56 swapped
New brakes
New seats (Corbeu)
New carpet
The car doesn't rattle, and I live in a part of TX where roads really aren't that smooth. Also pulling $20 in change from underneath the carpet helps, not sure what the previous owner was doing...

Needs:
Fix dented pass quarter panel and other minor dents
Replace sail panel
New paint all around

They're cars, they're meant to be driven. I'm going to enjoy it as much as possible because you never know when it might be taken from you in some senseless act (accident or theft or otherwise).

When I do move on to running it to a max effort engine and turbocharged, it might become a Friday commuter and weekend cruiser.

Quick Reply: if you daily drive your firebird or t/a please check in here