Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2002 Trans Am radio/key question

Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Trans Am radio/key question

Hello all.
I have a 2002 Trans am, and what I wanted to ask was, can you in any way modify when the radio turns off, let's say after you open your door and you take out your key from the ignition and you want to let the radio stay on until it shuts down by itself a little later?

Why I ask this questions is because I had a 1998 Trans Am convertible before I had this 2002 T/A and I LOVED it because that's what it would do. I would turn off my car, take my keys, get out of my car and leave the radio/aux/CD on. It would stay on for maybe 6-8 minutes then it would later on turn off by itself. It would only turn the radio completely off when both the driver and passenger door opened.

But with my 2002 T/A once I turn off the car and open the door, the radio turns off automatically unless I turn the key down. But then there's the annoying beeping the car makes when you leave your door open so it's annoying when you're trying to clean your car and listen to music in lower audio levels(my 98 T/A would not make the beeping noise for long).

If someone knows how to modify this, please let me know.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I just checked my 2001 owner's manual for you and didn't see any 'override' features that would let you play the radio after the door is open. It has to do with the theft deterrent system. The manual did state that the radio would play for 10 minutes after the key is turned off but once the door opens, it's over. I didn't start checking into the theft deterrent angle so perhaps the extended play feature exists with certain theft modes, maybe while disabled?? I'm just guessing. Maybe someone else will have an answer for you.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

Your TA should have the RAP feature, retained accessory power, I think, and the redio and power windows work for 10 minutes or until the driver's door is opened. I would suggest getting a battery powered radio.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My '98 doesn't keep the radio on if you open the door, it only stays on for 10 minutes if the door isn't opened. The radio and power window controls stay working.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am radio/key question