Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Hurst shifter option on 01

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Hurst shifter option on 01

My 01 was ordered with the hurst shifter. Is this the same shifter as a hurst aftermarket. I'm assuming it's a short throw. Just curious about few small details about the actual option. Since the car was bought I've been doing all the little things on it so I havent really got to drive it what is the overall opinion of the quality and feel of this shifter vs others available these days.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it's not the same as the Hurst Billet Plus. It's a pretty darn good shifter with a short stick. The factory stick has that annoying bushing that I feel makes for sloppy shifts. I had a short stick on my stock Hurst for awhile then I drove a Mustang with an MGW shifter and I was sold lol so I bought one of those and don't regret it at all.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compared to the stock shifters on other manual transmission cars I've driven (and being a valet for 7 years I've driven a lot) the the factory option hurst is pretty good.My T/A has one and I haven't missed a gear yet. It could be better though, I know when I had my 95 Mustang GT a few years back, the best $150 I spent on that car was on a Steeda Tri-ax shifter...a good short throw can make your car feel 100% different.

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter option on 01