Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

How can I quiet my exhaust system down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I quiet my exhaust system down?

Ok, here is the run down. 2002 Trans Am with Long Tube Pacesetter headers, removed cats, and SLP Loudmouth II catback. Don't get me wrong, sounds real good getting on it on the highway. But cruising around town and at idle it is brutally loud. Not to mention too raw. I like the exhaust note to be a bit deeper and not as loud. Something akin to way my wife's Trailblazer SS sounds. We bout it with muffler already removed but still has the resonator attached.

What I was thinking that maybe an additional muffler or resonator could be added back to help quieten it down. Or maybe even reinstall catalytic converters. I know removing those probably made it louder. I love muscle car sound but don't like near straight pipe sound. There has to be a way to get it to quiet down short of redoing the whole system.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Teching In

You pretty much said it. Some people add another bullet muffler/resonator. Personally, I think you would be happy with a hi-flow cat in the I-pipe. Will take care of alot of the "raw" raspy sound and quiet it down some. Plus, a decent one only costs like $100.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Yes it is very raw and raspy. I like it to be deeper and where I can here every cylinder purr. I will attach a video later to give an idea in how loud it is. But I'm sure anyone with the same setup knows how loud it really is.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

magnamouth or borlamouth,imo if your going to deal with a car that loud you should have duals,sounds alot better to n you will thank mewhen ya do a cam n etc,duals r loud but sound good,imo the slp powerflo sounds decent but to pricey,most just swap bullets,
Old 08-01-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Magnaflow or a Borla XR-1.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Magnaflow or a Borla XR-1.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ncorrell
You pretty much said it. Some people add another bullet muffler/resonator. Personally, I think you would be happy with a hi-flow cat in the I-pipe. Will take care of alot of the "raw" raspy sound and quiet it down some. Plus, a decent one only costs like $100.
And I'm sure would kill that fumy smell coming from the exhaust right? I don't why people remove cats. They pollute the environment when removed and don't really add that much horsepower to a car.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
magnamouth or borlamouth,imo if your going to deal with a car that loud you should have duals,sounds alot better to n you will thank mewhen ya do a cam n etc,duals r loud but sound good,imo the slp powerflo sounds decent but to pricey,most just swap bullets,
Thanks for the advice but I'm not going to true duals. Exhaust is definitely glowing well enough with 3 inch pipe. Just needs to quiet down.

Quick Reply: How can I quiet my exhaust system down?