Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

whats with the power

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats with the power

I now have a 96 trans am Y82 6 speed. I was expecting a bit more performance than my 94 formula auto had. In my opinion the formula would wax the trans am. at least in low end. the formula launched great and could get to 110 pretty quick. I just dont have that feeling with the trans am. The car is over heating and I have to replace the tansmission mount but I wouldnt think those two things would cause such a power drop in a quick launch while engine is in normal running temp
Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Trans Ams are heavier, you have major problems ( I'm willing to bet a broken trans mount isn't helping the power reach the wheels ) and its pretty much the same car.

How much performance gain did you think you were going to get? Even if both cars were in absolute perfect running order, the difference would be negligible.

Also, you could just be used to the power, making the car seem slower than it is.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

I wasnt really expecting anymore, just being able to run the gears longer to reach certain speeds faster. but all in all it just seem weaker. I had to replace the trans mount in the formula, so the task is familiar to me. I guess I was just expecting the same performance when i got it and was a little disapointed
Old 08-23-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by McCall 94 Formula
I wasnt really expecting anymore, just being able to run the gears longer to reach certain speeds faster. but all in all it just seem weaker. I had to replace the trans mount in the formula, so the task is familiar to me. I guess I was just expecting the same performance when i got it and was a little disapointed
Human Butt Dynos can be very misleading.
Put it on a dyno and take it to a dragstrip, those are the only sure fire ways to see what kind of power its making and if its running right.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

On another note. I also have been confused on a few things about the car. Mainly the Trans Am base model code Y82. which from what I have seen and read it has all the trans am looks besides the high rise spoiler. But I have read that that option was 93 only and others have said not an option in 93 and it was only 94 and 95 so Idk. Either way my car is none of those years. I thought it was missing the center tail light piece also til some good light showed someone scraped the Trans am and bird decal or paint off of it so the only thing im unsure of is the that its a 96 trans am that has a low rise spoiler
Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

So its a Firebird with a bodykit?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

It has all the Trans am drivetrain and trim except the high rise spoiler
Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Well I solved the over heating issue. I took the radiator cover plate off and there was a plastic khols bag spread out between the radiators. beats me how it got there either a freak occurance or some DA put it there either way its fixed now and all i got to do is the trens mount
Old 08-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

I just got done putting the transmission mount in about an hour ago. feels much better. now with the over heating and trans fixed the car is running much better. Gears feel much stronger now without the transmission kicking
Old 08-25-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Good to hear that you got it sorted out.

Just for future reference, theres no difference between a Formula and a Trans Am when it comes to drivetrain, etc. Its all cosmetic between the two unless you're comparing a WS6 optioned Trans Am.

Actually, a Formula with the same diff/trans combo as a Trans Am would be ever so slightly faster due to the added weight of the Trans Am package.

Quick Reply: whats with the power