Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Window switch/motor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window switch/motor question

On my 2002 TA my windows are slow as molasses to go up or down, But my drivers side will only go up/down about half way before it stops and you have to leave it alone for a few minutes before it will finish going up/down. Input on this would be very helpful. And thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you need a new motor(s).
Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Teching In

That's what I was thinking. The only going up half way is what gets me.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea some people go through window motors quicker than a set of tires

Instead of just replacing it, consider upgrading it. It's harder but odds are you will never need to take your door apart again
Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine did that before it went out just don't put it down because sooner or later it wont go back up
Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The motor stops because the circuit breaker trips and has to wait to auto-reset. The breaker trips because the tracks are sticking and the motor is too. Mine was verrry slow so, I bought a replacement motor for mine 5 years ago. While awaiting arrival, I took off the door panel, greased the tracks, and tweaked the alignment. The replacement motor is still in the original box.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurch634
On my 2002 TA my windows are slow as molasses to go up or down, But my drivers side will only go up/down about half way before it stops and you have to leave it alone for a few minutes before it will finish going up/down. Input on this would be very helpful. And thanks in advance.
I have the same problem with my Formula. The window motors shutting off for a period of time is an issue with a relay on the body control module.

Here's a thread on what needs to be done:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
The motor stops because the circuit breaker trips and has to wait to auto-reset. The breaker trips because the tracks are sticking and the motor is too. Mine was verrry slow so, I bought a replacement motor for mine 5 years ago. While awaiting arrival, I took off the door panel, greased the tracks, and tweaked the alignment. The replacement motor is still in the original box.
Nooooo. See above.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Nooooo. See above.
Nooooo? What does that mean? Are you implying that I am lying?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Nooooo? What does that mean? Are you implying that I am lying?
Nooooo, he's not saying you're lying, DrEvyl is saying that he thinks the BCM is the culprit.

Meanwhile, I too think the window tracks need lubing but there's no circuit breaker that I know of that trips and resets itself.

When these motors get hot, their DC resistance goes up and they draw even less current-from a already flawed and crappy GM window wiring system.

I believe there's also a resistive link in these motors that further limits the current-so the windows can't choke your puppy who's not smart enough to pull his head in.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

The self-resettable circuit breaker is in the inside (I/P) fuse panel. There are two identical ones for Windows and Defogger. They WILL reset after several minutes typically; that is their designed use. You can buy the circuit breakers at most auto parts stores: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...146258_0_86924

Also there are "PTC Resetable" fuses inside each motor that do the same thing but are less rugged. This is the item that fails most often in the motors. They are extremely inexpensive buy very, very difficult to replace without destroying the motor.

The BCM relay that controls the Retained accessory power (RAP) is a single-pole relay and has one supply connection and one feed connection. The feed connection supplies power to BOTH motor circuits. The OP said only one side has the stopping problem. The BCM fault would affect both side equally and it would not reset after just waiting.

Trust me about electronics. I am a 65 yr old EE with 45 years experience in the test and measurement field and am still working every day.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The self-resettable circuit breaker is in the inside (I/P) fuse panel. There are two identical ones for Windows and Defogger. They WILL reset after several minutes typically; that is their designed use. You can buy the circuit breakers at most auto parts stores: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...146258_0_86924

Also there are "PTC Resetable" fuses inside each motor that do the same thing but are less rugged. This is the item that fails most often in the motors. They are extremely inexpensive buy very, very difficult to replace without destroying the motor.

The BCM relay that controls the Retained accessory power (RAP) is a single-pole relay and has one supply connection and one feed connection. The feed connection supplies power to BOTH motor circuits. The OP said only one side has the stopping problem. The BCM fault would affect both side equally and it would not reset after just waiting.

Trust me about electronics. I am a 65 yr old EE with 45 years experience in the test and measurement field and am still working every day.
I took my window motors apart and bypassed the internal fuse mentioned above. I'm still using the factory motors and they work like new. I don't like disabling safety features but I've yet to see a problem...no kids or dogs to get decapitated by the window :p

I had symptoms similar to yours before I did this. I think the best solution would be to align and lube the tracks since the repetitive overloading of the window motor is what causes the internal fuse to fail in the first place.

Last edited by s7ven; 08-28-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I am a 65 yr old EE with 45 years experience in the test and measurement field and am still working every day.
I figured that Gary. Most of us oldies use an actual name instead of something like "imabuttman99ricerZ28formy"
Old 09-07-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1 for the Autotrix kit. At least check out their install guide for the motor swap and some schematics for how the wiring works.

Quick Reply: Window switch/motor question