Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Should I keep the original parts?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Should I keep the original parts?

So when I got my WS6 it was basically bone stock. Now as I am replacing/upgrading more and more parts, my pile of old parts is getting bigger and bigger. My dad keeps telling my that I should keep all the original parts so that when I sell it, there is a larger demand for a stock car.

Thing is that I do not plan on selling this anytime soon. I'm 19 and plan on keeping this for at least the next 10 years. So by then I assume the car will be in the mid to high 100,xxx's (have 70k now). So from a buyers perspective, is a relatively high mileage "classic" (if you can call it that yet ) car more valuable if it is stock?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plans change.

Regardless, I didn't and don't want to take the time to put my car back to stock if/when I sell anyways. If you do, good for you, but those parts also aren't going to be worth much being that age and you're talking about cars that are already 10+ years old.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Lots of people have done it. To me, it seems a little shady way of selling it. People tend to believe stock cars have been taken care of better than modded cars. That's why the stock cars tend to bring more money. Maybe if you sold it with the notation that it was once a modified car, then that would be better.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the part to me. Stock wheels and exhaust I would plan on keeping. But OEM parts like radios, speakers, I would toss them. Never know when an aftermarket part might break and you'll need to swap asap for what ever reason. I would say don't throw out anything you aren't able to get your hands on cheap and fast.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Depends on the part to me. Stock wheels and exhaust I would plan on keeping. But OEM parts like radios, speakers, I would toss them. Never know when an aftermarket part might break and you'll need to swap asap for what ever reason. I would say don't throw out anything you aren't able to get your hands on cheap and fast.
So hold on to stuff like factory air box and exhaust components, but get rid of original Monsoon speakers and HU? I'm thinking all electronic stuff I'm safe to toss but mechanical components I should keep.

Again this is waaaaay down the road, but I like planning ahead
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to be a very long time before the value of these cars sees a significant increase. Certainly more than a decade. As someone else stated, plans change. You may think you'll still have your car 10 years from now but then this thing called life happens.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by newchevyman
It's going to be a very long time before the value of these cars sees a significant increase. Certainly more than a decade. As someone else stated, plans change. You may think you'll still have your car 10 years from now but then this thing called life happens.
Exactly! I'll wager right now that this car will be gone in 5 years, never mind 10 years. I never held on to a car longer than 6 years my entire life until I bought my 'new' Formula at age 42 in 1996 and kept it for 9 years. Cars break, you tire of them, or as stated above, 'life happens'. I probably told everyone in my life that this car is the one I will keep forever. I must have said that a dozen times over my 40+ years of having a license.
M4N14C, your Dad is right about keeping the parts but you are also right that the car will have very little collector value with 6 figures on the odometer in the future. Parts can always come in handy but if it is a pain to keep them (like storage issues), sell them. Enjoy your ride!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know why some of you guys are being so negative. Ive had my car for 6.5 years, since I was 17, and I dont plan on getting rid of it. I kept my stock parts, but they are honestly just collecting dust, and my car is never going back to numbers matching, original condition because my stock engine is trashed. I just kept the parts because selling them was too much of a headache for very little money.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

unless you have a rare combination of options I really wouldn't bother, shocks don't store well (uncompressed) and I don't think any collector is gonna want the factory shocks at that kinda mileage. most odds and ends parts are only good if you need an emergency backup, I wouldn't be thinking collector value, these cars are still to new, if this generation ever becomes "collectable" is yet to be seen, just incase the biggest things are to keep all original body parts (like if you swap hoods), don't change the color of the car and if the engine or tranny take a dive rebuild them instead of replacing to keep it numbers matching.

unless you have a limited edition like the one linked in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...day-9-6-a.html I really would be expecting a "collector" to be interested in any regular old WS6 (there are far more with far fewer miles).
Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

If it doesn't cost you anything to keep them, why not?
Throw parts in a tub in the attic for the future then decide.

Have you seen what a nice 1970 bird radio sells for these days?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I keep the original parts?