Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Possible electric gremlin???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible electric gremlin???

Hey guys, I have researched this on here for 3 days now. My fans don't kick on, so obviously my car over heats. I just changed my coolant temp sensor, thermostat , and the 3 fan relays to be sure. I figure better to start with the quick n simple before anything else.

Well, wether I turn the A/C on or not. Nothing. Let it idle, nothing. Take for a quick drive , nothing. Had a friend use the HP Tuner software not to tune, but check everything. He programmed the fans to kick on high and they whirled up and went! I'm lost, any hints? Thank you, I'm trying to get this fixed before getting her tuned.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must determine if the B+ wire(s) that powers those fans relays has an open, or if the gnd wires are open.

I have a 96 F-Body manual and the wiring diagram in the 6E section indicates there is a fusible link which powers fan relay 1 and a 25 Amp fuse that powers fan relay 2 & 3 - if either of these is open, or if the control circuits (i.e. - fan relay to PCM wires) are open, this could be the issue.

A quick check: Set your A/C to Max cold and Recirculate, this commands both fans on HIGH, then check for B+ and Gnd at the two pin connectors - if you have both B+ and Gnd, then your fan motors have failed, but I'd bet it's a F/Link or fuse.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Possible electric gremlin???