Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 firebird 5.3 swap, lots of pics and info!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:40 AM
NKN
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I had a few questions.

I'm aiming to swap out my 2000 3.8L Firebird with a LM7 this summer and I was wondering a few things.

First off, do I have to replace the drive shaft on my bird or should I be alright?

Secondly, a friend of mine with a third gen firebird was going to perform the same swap I'm doing, and aside from different parts for the specific years, it should generally be the exact same process as they're really similar cars, right?

Sorry if it's been asked a hundred times before, I'm just trying to get everything together so I know what I need/what to do, first big project I'm doing.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by NKN
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I had a few questions.

I'm aiming to swap out my 2000 3.8L Firebird with a LM7 this summer and I was wondering a few things.

First off, do I have to replace the drive shaft on my bird or should I be alright?

Secondly, a friend of mine with a third gen firebird was going to perform the same swap I'm doing, and aside from different parts for the specific years, it should generally be the exact same process as they're really similar cars, right?

Sorry if it's been asked a hundred times before, I'm just trying to get everything together so I know what I need/what to do, first big project I'm doing.

Thanks,
Chris
The drive shaft length shouldn't change. As for the third vs. fourth gen swaps, they are different processes. The fourth generation cars are best done by taking the engine through the bottom of the car and the third gens are easy to do either way. They have a larger engine bay. The wiring on the third generation cars is completely different. With a painless LSX harness it's a bit easier, but again the process isn't the same. I'm unsure about the V6's in a fourth gen, but you may have to change motor mounts. On a third gen, you'll have to notch the K-member and change the motor mounts.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:04 PM

So, question I had when doing this swap.. What radiator is used? Is it just any standard LS radiator? I have an '02 Firebird with the 3800 Series II in it and I'm swapping it for an L59 (LM7 w/ E85) out of a Yukon XL. I'm currently basing my "shopping list" off of this list: http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm
I have already found the LS K Member and I already have the engine. Thanks guys!

Also, I pulled the ECU and wiring harness with the L59 out of the Yukon XL, will I be able to re-use those or should I get an F-Body harness and ECU?
Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Ls radiator is what I used on mine, you have issues with guages and such in the car using a non fbody harness.i went stand alone on my swap so I don't have much experience there. Just about any OE harness can be made a stand alone though since you can disable most of the items that would.cause issue with HPtuners.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Ls radiator is what I used on mine, you have issues with guages and such in the car using a non fbody harness.i went stand alone on my swap so I don't have much experience there. Just about any OE harness can be made a stand alone though since you can disable most of the items that would.cause issue with HPtuners.

Thanks! I found the radiator with the trans hookup since I have a 4L60E in it currently. I've already got my eyes on new gauges, and will be picking up those with a new k-member to mount it on. I plan to take it to a professional tune shop to have it fully dyno'd and tuned, but should I still eventually invest in a HPTuner?
Old 10-23-2017, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

that all depends on the goals of the car personally, if you arent going to mod the setup at all once its finished, id be content letting it be done once as long as its done right. Which is the hard part is the done right part. Ive said it a lot lately that anyone with HPtuners calls themselves a tuner so you gotta be careful, if you find a good reputable place the above shouldnt be a problem though
Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Default Wiring help 01 firebird 3.8 auto TVs to ls1 t56 swap

Originally Posted by Y87bird00
The v6 trans has different input shafts and a few other things, the original ls1 4l60e had to be rebuild because of slipping clutches.

I had to change fuel lines yes, but I simply added a return line using a t block, just copying the v8 style.

I am using an ls1 pcm, it works just fine with my v8 f body harness.
hey was your car a traction control car? And did you have to change the dash harness?
nathanlw82@gmail.com
Old 08-23-2018, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Default L59 swap

Originally Posted by pcamp96
So, question I had when doing this swap.. What radiator is used? Is it just any standard LS radiator? I have an '02 Firebird with the 3800 Series II in it and I'm swapping it for an L59 (LM7 w/ E85) out of a Yukon XL. I'm currently basing my "shopping list" off of this list: http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm
I have already found the LS K Member and I already have the engine. Thanks guys!

Also, I pulled the ECU and wiring harness with the L59 out of the Yukon XL, will I be able to re-use those or should I get an F-Body harness and ECU?

i did the exact same swap as you, in 2002 the radiators should be the same, mine was and I have never had a heat problem. With the harness if you plan to you the e85 then you will have to likely use the Yukon harness. I went 93 and a t56 so it was easier for me to get a ls1 harness and ecu. If you do use the Yukon harness the it will be almost a complete harness rebuild and you will have to flash your Ecu with a tune for an ls1 fbody. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about to do this same swap, but LT1 to a 5.3
My question is if I decided to keep the truck intake which is pretty tall, I have ws6 hood. Will it clear the intake?
Old 06-10-2021, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

This is my hood, will the truck intake clear?
Old 06-10-2021, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

QUOTE=LT1DG;20358345]Image snip..........
This is my hood, will the truck intake clear? [/QUOTE]

No. It will not. That hood has no more clearance than a stock hood. Sure, you've got the ram air scoop bulges, but in the centerline its got the same clearance as the stock hood. You might be able to get a shaved truck intake to fit, but not an unaltered one.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
QUOTE=LT1DG;20358345]Image snip..........
This is my hood, will the truck intake clear?
No. It will not. That hood has no more clearance than a stock hood. Sure, you've got the ram air scoop bulges, but in the centerline its got the same clearance as the stock hood. You might be able to get a shaved truck intake to fit, but not an unaltered one.[/QUOTE]

You might be right, but It's way more elevated then stock hood. i did a comparison when I swapped hood.

So might not need to shave that much

​​​​​​
Old 06-10-2021, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Old 06-11-2023, 04:26 PM

Default 2000 firebird 3.8 to a 5.3 ls

Hi I need a little help im about to be doing this swap as well and while reading through I couldn't find anything about changing the motor mounts or adding a motor plate I have very limited help and information I already have the motor I just need to know what I would have to change to mount it if you could give me a list or any places to look that would be greatly appreciated and that bird looks amazing now.

Quick Reply: 2000 firebird 5.3 swap, lots of pics and info!!