Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

'79 Firebird AC upgrade with LS2 swap - What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '79 Firebird AC upgrade with LS2 swap - What do I need?

My '79 has factory AC that hasn't been upgraded. Parts seem to be in good overall condition.

We're putting in a (Corvette) crate LS2 6.0 and I'd like to sort out the AC, but need confirmation on how to go about this.

- My assumption is that I should use a corvette compressor for easier pairing with the engine
- Compressor mounting kit for the LS2
- Additionally I need to upgrade the accumulator, hoses, o-rings, charge port - is there a kit for this somewhere? All I can find come with a compressor

Any other advice for this? I'm new to both LS swaps and AC upgrades...
Old 06-10-2023, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Are you planning on using the Corvette FEA? On my 2nd gen Camaro LS swaps I use the 2002 Camaro FEA. Either way I'm almost sure you are going have to notch the subframe to make clearance for the AC compressor. I believe there a folks that make AC compressor relocation mounts that make a "high" mount but I don't about hood clearance. The issue with the stock AC plastic housing is clearance to coils on the right side.
I haven't run AC on my 2nd gen swaps. This is my 80 project and you can see the clearance is decent with no AC.

Old 06-10-2023, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@LS1 TJ Yes using all front end from the LS2

I found various different mounting solutions for the compressor, high and low mounts etc and adjustable ones too. We should be able to figure out this part once we have the engine mounted soon.

Same for the AC housing - will know about the fitment when putting the engine in place.

I guess my question at this point is what do I need to pair a Corvette compressor with the rest of the system and which parts need to be replaced when doing an upgrade to 134a

Quick Reply: '79 Firebird AC upgrade with LS2 swap - What do I need?