Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Little help with new to me 02 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help with new to me 02 Trans Am

OK guys, first post and need a little help. Just picked up a new to me 02 Trans Am. 105k miles, automatic. I dislike automatics but I am paralyzed in left arm so its easier to drive. Now for the issues....Car is all stock except has a WS6 hood, and the muffler was cut out. Still has factory man&cats. The motor has a miss or vibration to it. while in park or neutral, raise the RPM's to about 1200 and you can feel it vibrate in steering wheel like something out of balance or a miss.. No engine codes are being thrown. I changed plugs.. No change.. OBD2 shows nothing.. My buddy hooked his laptop to it, showed bad rear o2 sensor. the front readings and rear were never in sync with each other. Would that cause a miss? I know o2 sensors make minor adjustments within a certain RPM range but would it cause this? Very annoying!!!! Ideas? advise? Thanks

Also when I was detailing the car right after I got it I noticed in the driver side back seat floor had oil all the carpet. Seems like clean unused oil, but not sure. Engine bay is super clean,,{on top side} but after getting under the car, everything pretty wet. looks like probable pan gasket, could me more....But the question is....Any way that the oil in floor is related? or is it just a probable spill in the floor?
thanks again
Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

there is no conceivable way oil leaking from anywhere on the motor could end up in the backseat floor board, odds are the guy knew he had a major oil leak and kept oil in the car to keep it topped and it spilled and he just didn't clean it up good enough.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:40 AM

Yea, I figured that.... Lol. My main concern is the vibration, or miss.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

did you do the wires too when you did the plugs? there are several different things that can cause things like that.

Quick Reply: Little help with new to me 02 Trans Am