Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

No power electronically dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No power electronically dead

So the 2002 WS6 dead on me today when I was tring to take buddy to his apartment. Nothing everything was black (no power, no clicking) as soon as I turned the key. The vob worked to open car initally. I disconnected and reconnected battery after that the power came right back.

My security light has been on for about 4 weeks now with no other issue. I washed my car at a self car wash on day and after that light was on. Im not sure if that played a factor or helps point me in a direction. I didnt open engine bay just a external clean like always. I disconnected the battery for a few hours and reconnected it to see if it will clear, no luck.

Battery will last a few days if I let it sit. I will have to jump it or charge it. Daily use to sitting 4-5 days its fine may start slow.

I measured the resistance on my key and its .001 from vats key chart.

Ive read the other threads, some say battery and some say tumbler. Anybody experiance this? Im on duty today so I cant take a look now. I plan on getting the charging system tested at autozone first. Any insight?

Last edited by fc_soldier; 12-01-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:30 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If I understand what you wrote, the car was totally dead, you removed & reinstalled the cables at the battery and now it starts and runs.

Sounds like your bad battery connection issue is fixed.

For the remote: https://ls1tech.com/forums/6555482-post3.html
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 AM
Teching In

What you read is correct, I reconnected battery and it started. But I did that to "reset" my issue. It very well could be battery I guess but I did it thinking it will rest my security system/VATS.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:49 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If your battery is dead after a few days, it may be bad. OR you may have a parasitic draw on it.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:27 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the battery is going. I've found that even with a new battery I have to keep my car on a trickle charger if it's going to sit for more than a week at a time. Otherwise, it kills the battery like nothing, and if you keep running it down like that it shortens the battery life. The trickle charger cost me like $25, and I never have any issues any more.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Teching In

DO you think this is why my security light is on also?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by fc_soldier
DO you think this is why my security light is on also?
I doubt it. The "Security" light will come on under a few conditions:

1) Resistor on the key is dirty
2) The reader inside the key cylinder is dirty
3) The wires responsible for the reader inside the key cylinder is damaged

Easiest solution that works for most people is a can of electric cleaner sprayed in to the ignition key hole, followed by compressed air in a can. Rinse and repeat a few times. Make sure your key chip is clean.

Harder solutions usually entail replacing or fixing the bad/damaged wires that make the reader function.

The security light itself has nothing to do with a bad battery/loose battery connection - as far as *I'M* aware... correct me if I'm wrong someone (someone more knowledgable)
Old 12-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TAgamer
I doubt it. The "Security" light will come on under a few conditions:

1) Resistor on the key is dirty
2) The reader inside the key cylinder is dirty
3) The wires responsible for the reader inside the key cylinder is damaged

Easiest solution that works for most people is a can of electric cleaner sprayed in to the ignition key hole, followed by compressed air in a can. Rinse and repeat a few times. Make sure your key chip is clean.

Harder solutions usually entail replacing or fixing the bad/damaged wires that make the reader function.

The security light itself has nothing to do with a bad battery/loose battery connection - as far as *I'M* aware... correct me if I'm wrong someone (someone more knowledgable)
1) I cleaned the key resistor with a eraser. Not sure if that would help but I get a good reading off it, within 2%.

I guess for the other two I need to replace or at least open it up.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

my sister have issues... i just replaced her alternator last year nov. time with 44k miles. she always had light flickering. i think she got a faulty alternator from the factory.

Quick Reply: No power electronically dead