Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

How to convince my parents to let me get an LT1 Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to convince my parents to let me get an LT1 Trans Am?

About 3 month ago, I posted a thread asking if an LT1 Trans Am would be a first car. My parents didn't agree, but I did not have a job back then, so that was part of the reason. I now have a job, and I'm making my own money. My parents said I would have to pay for half of the car. I have 1 year driving experience, and 100+ hours recorded. I'm 16 and have my less restricted license. My parents always say I'm a great driver. The problem though is I think they're going to say no when I ask if I can get a Trans Am by paying for it myself. Since I'm paying for the car, I think I should have the right to choose the car I WANT. Not a POS Honda that they want me to buy. I'm totally honest when I say this, but I'm actually scared to go really fast. This is because I absolutely do not want to get pulled over, since I'd be in a world of hurt from my parents if I did. I will admit though that I mainly want a Trans Am because I love the roar of a V8, and I want a car that accelerates fast (every once in a while when no one's around). Plus I just want to have a cool car. I'd tell them I pay for gas and insurance. So how do I convince them? I know they are trying to keep me safe, but I know what these kind of cars can do if you're not careful.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BatFastard
About 3 month ago, I posted a thread asking if an LT1 Trans Am would be a first car. My parents didn't agree, but I did not have a job back then, so that was part of the reason. I now have a job, and I'm making my own money. My parents said I would have to pay for half of the car. I have 1 year driving experience, and 100+ hours recorded. I'm 16 and have my less restricted license. My parents always say I'm a great driver. The problem though is I think they're going to say no when I ask if I can get a Trans Am by paying for it myself. Since I'm paying for the car, I think I should have the right to choose the car I WANT. Not a POS Honda that they want me to buy. I'm totally honest when I say this, but I'm actually scared to go really fast. This is because I absolutely do not want to get pulled over, since I'd be in a world of hurt from my parents if I did. I will admit though that I mainly want a Trans Am because I love the roar of a V8, and I want a car that accelerates fast (every once in a while when no one's around). Plus I just want to have a cool car. I'd tell them I pay for gas and insurance. So how do I convince them? I know they are trying to keep me safe, but I know what these kind of cars can do if you're not careful.
read the bolded statements lol.
Theres the reason they dont want you to get one. Technically if they are paying half, they have at least half the say, and you should respect your parents wishes as well.

love the roar of a V8??
Buy one of these

every member on the board will agree that while not "as cool looking" as an F body, it does contain an LT1.

Plus wagons are sleepers.
I bet you could convince your parents to help you buy a 4 door station wagon
Old 12-17-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your forgetting another important thing, Credit. Someone will need to finance it unless your paying cash for the car. Oh and another bad thing, Insurance, here in Texas until your 25 its not going to be cheap, especialy on a 2 door sportcar, I can only imagine that other states are the same since Insurance companies like to stick to you.

I was 16 once '96 and my first car was a Nissan Sentra. As a parent of 2, I would not be convinced to buy any of my 2 kids a T/A at the age of 16.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Incrementalism is the Key

FB -

Q - How do you prove to your parents that you can (and will) be more responsible than them; and therefore should be allowed to play outside the "Kiddie Pool" area?

A - One month of responsible, ticket-free driving at a time, until they come to you and agree with your assertion that you are indeed "ready".

Please understand, I am very sympathetic with your Anti-<Insert the Brand Name of foreign car you dislike the most HERE> stance, however, at 16 that perspective is not reason enough to dive off the deep end and get a 300 HP V8.

Most of use here remember being YOU, however, most of us here also have our own horror stories about the stupid things we did. (But, I know - you'll be different!) So, instead of flogging that dead horse, let me make a different suggestion:

Get a L4 or V6 Pontiac (with a manual of course!) and learn how to work on it yourself - because if you do eventually get an LT1, you WILL work on it!

Show your parents that you can be responsible and in fact you ARE responsible; probably more responsible than your father (Because, remember, he was 16 once too!). After that year to 18 months of wrenching and learning (all while keeping your driving record 100% CLEAN!), they'll be more than willing to see your side of the story.

Personally, I suggest a 97 Firebird Formula with a 3800 and a 5 speed manual - it's still a 'Bird and there are alot of go-fast parts and mods for the little Buick that could!

Additionally, after modding it, you can transfer those items to your 'new' ride and return "the little brother" to it's stock configuration before you sell it!

Be safe and Have Fun!

: )

Originally Posted by BatFastard
Old 12-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

I can till you that when I was in High school I drove a 1985 trans am only had 18270 miles on her when I got it in 1993 . Best car I have ever had I loved that little 305 lol. but there is no way I would buy my son a trans am at 16 . Nope no way. At 16 it was fun to punch the gas and spin the car around and race and have fun but that car back then made 195 hp lol and the tq man come on . the lt1 makes what 275 or 285 p and 300 lbs . It would just be to easy to have the car come out from under you man and get yourself in a spot . Although it may never happen it is pos that it may happen and I wouldn't want to put my son in that spot. I would never be able to live with my self if that happened and I was the one that bought it for him. Now I might think about getting him a 1995 1996 impala ss . It will have the lt1 and that v8 sound but the extra weight will slow it down and make it harder to sling around . Just me look on it .
Old 12-17-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

I'll say it again, like I did your last thread. DON'T buy a car you like for your first car, I don't give a damn how good a driver you think you are you will be to temped to "play" and will get yourself in trouble.

Hell my first car was a 96 Tahoe (V8 Vortec 5.7) and I still pushed it to the speed limiter (about 100MPH) and know how a teenager is going to drive, do this walk thru your school parking lot and pick out the nicest cars there and see how many have jacked up bumpers and other dents that weren't there the first day those kids drove to school.

Get a beater so you won't care when you jack it up.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I graduated in 1998, and had worked hard and saved up 10k to put down on 99 ss camaro! I had went to the dealership and got them to spec it out! It was going to be awesome, orange with black interior six speed. They told me to let them know, they would save the build sheet and it would be here in 6 weeks! My payment was going to be less than 300 per month! Hell yea, I was all set.... Well until I learned that my insurance was going to be $568.00 per MONTH. Needless to say, I don't get the car cause I couldn't afford the insurance! When I had told my dad I was going to order a new camaro, he was quiet for a while, then he said "well son, if that's what you want, you have worked hard so get it, but you'll need your own insurance" at the time my 1990 s10 was on his insurance! So basically he dint want me to have the car and knew good and dam well I couldn't afford the insurance! I have always bin a responsible driver and often wondered if had had got that car how many more dates I could have had, how long it would have bin till I put a cam in it, how long it would have bin before I broke the pos rear end, ect. ect... That I will never know, but looking back on it now, my dad certainly had my best interest in mind! Be patient, honor your father and mother and there decisions, and I promise you when the time comes for you to get the fire chicken, it will all fall into place!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No matter how hard I tried to convince my parents to help me pay for a car I wanted, they would tell me no at everything I wanted.

Just like everything else in this world my friend, if you want it bad enough, earn it!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless your parents are "car people" like everyone you talk to on a car enthusiasts internet forum they will say no. And they have their reasons, you are 16 and under their roof so its probably in your best interests to listen to them. Driving a fast car is like an addictive drug when you are 16. The temptation will always be there to give it more skinny pedal. Want a cheap v8 car that you can mod and your friends will think is cool that you can convince your parents is safe? Look into a retired crown vic police interceptor, in my area they go for $2000. You can treat that car like crap and crash it up then get a true sports car when the time is right.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let them know that a stock LT1 is not fast. Go have your parents test drive the one you are looking at.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Teching In

As a 17 year old that currently has one, I will say it was the ULTIMATE battle to get one. I actually had to go a full year to get one and had to stay 100% ticket free while still keeping grades in AT LEAST a solid B average (good grade discount). You need to come to the bargaining table with a little bit of give and compromise. Now, I was able to use my families vehicles a 91 F150 (yikes) and a 99 Buick Century and eventually a 99 Bonneville. If you have the same possibilities, broker a deal for a time frame you both feel is fair and if you maintain their standards, ASK (never tell) them to AT LEAST consider moving you to a Trans Am. Whatever you choose, good luck!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

I was in the same boat as you , I wanted a v8 f body so bad at 16. My parents said nope so we negotiated I could get a v6. My first car was my 96 firebird 3.8. Trust me ,at 16 it's more than enough power . I modded it too a bit and it was a y87 car so it was plenty fun. I learned everything about these cars by tearing into that car too. I'd say get the 3.8 v6. Learn the feel of these cars, how to work on them, and most importantly drive them. Once you show ur parents u can handle a firebird with 200hp for a while then I'm sure they would let u upgrade. Plus u will get great mpg and lower insurance with the v6.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Transambrandon
I was in the same boat as you , I wanted a v8 f body so bad at 16. My parents said nope so we negotiated I could get a v6. My first car was my 96 firebird 3.8. Trust me ,at 16 it's more than enough power . I modded it too a bit and it was a y87 car so it was plenty fun. I learned everything about these cars by tearing into that car too. I'd say get the 3.8 v6. Learn the feel of these cars, how to work on them, and most importantly drive them. Once you show ur parents u can handle a firebird with 200hp for a while then I'm sure they would let u upgrade. Plus u will get great mpg and lower insurance with the v6.
Very good point sir! And (I know it sounds terrible) but save a little more and get a 98 or newer Firebird and then you can opt for the sport appearance package and from the research I've done, these cars seem to be able to contend with similarly equipped cars. Think about it! And be SURE to get T-Tops!! I kick myself every sunny day that I don't have them.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too wanted an f-body at 16. Didn't get one until I was 20 and that was likely a good thing. If I would have gotten one at 16 there is an extremely high probability that it would have ended up fetched up in the woods or a ditch somewhere.
In my teens I got into plenty of trouble with cars that had quite a bit less than 200hp.

Either way, don't make a car too much of a priority in your high school and college years. There's too much other enjoyable stuff going on to spend a lot of time worrying about having some particular type of car.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Back in 2000 I turned 16 and wanted a 4th gen Camaro Z28 BADLY! I had good grades, was a fairly good kid in general outside of school, and thought it wouldn't be a big deal. My folks said no so fast it wasn't even funny. So when school started my junior year I pulled up to school in my grandma's old car, a grey 1988 VW Golf GL 4-door w/ low miles like this:

I wasn't thrilled, but I didn't complain as it was a car and I loved the freedom it now afforded me! I did the maintenance myself, oil changes right at 3k miles, tire rotations, washed/waxed/vacuumed it out twice a month. My dad came out one day to me working on it and offhandedly said, "You sure do take care of that car." To which I responded, "Well, just because it's not the best looking car in the neighborhood, it doesn't mean that it has to be the worst." and went back to polishing the hood. That year my Nana died and left me a bit of money so I started to get the itch for a V8 American sports car. I was looking at some clean third gen F-Bodies, but my dad kept telling me to wait and to save my money because you never know what could come up. In May when school let out I got in my dad's truck and we went for a drive and ended up at a dealership where I got this:

An arctic white 1997 Camaro convertible:

I paid for half, my dad paid for half. It wasn't a V8, but good Lord I loved that car! I started my senior year of high school in style! Throughout the school year my dad noticed how much care and attention I showered over the car and a few weeks before graduation my dad told me to hop in the Camaro and take him for a road trip. We ended up in Fort Worth at another dealership where he traded my car in for this:

A bright red 1993 Camaro Z28 hardtop with a 6-speed:

My mother was a bit skeptical, but my dad told her that he never had to worry about a car with me and that I always took care of them so she never really voiced her concerns too much after that.

My point is this; Actions will always speak louder than words. You can't tell your parents you will be responsible with a car (any car), you have to show them. Repeatedly. Regardless, good luck with your venture!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend getting an LT1 as a teenager. I waited until I was in my 20's before I bought my first sports car and I'm glad that I did. When I was a teenager, I got myself into a Northstar Cadillac Seville. Cheap insurance, good safety marks, and a 275hp V8 engine. It introduced me to a quicker car while keeping me safe and my parents happy.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You could do what I did and just show up one day in an F-Body

I wouldn't recommend it though, my mom nearly had a heart attack. Eventually they saw I was responsible enough and now I give them rides all the time. But I'm 19, have a job and paid for the whole car myself.

Nothing wrong with getting an older Mustang. Cheaper, easier to drive, still a nice exhaust note. Remember your next car won't be your last car, nothing wrong with getting a "starter" F-Body
Old 12-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Launching!

TechCam laid out the blue print for you. The first car I ever owned was my 79 Trans am. I bought it myself when I was 19 years old. I had been saving since I was 17.

Get a car to get you though school and save money until you can buy what you want. These cars are only getting cheaper.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

When i was 16 i bought my first car with my own money. It was a 1993 Plymouth Laser RS, that my cousin had, didn't run & sitting in a field. I gave her $400, & 2 weeks later i drove it home. The car was a beater, it was pretty rough. I learned how to spin wrenches on that car, fixed it up here and there. Then i traded it, and kept trading. After throwing a few bucks here and there i ended up with what i wanted at the time. i say take what you can get, turn it to the best it could be without sinking alot of cash, and trade around. A fresh driver behind the wheel of any v8 RWD is probably bad news, even if you say you will take it easy, bc we all know the infamous stock GT drivers that think they are cool will want to race.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Launching!

My first car was a V6 Firebird and I've owned Trans Ams almost ever since. But now I'm also a parent and I would NOT want my son to have his first car be a V8 sports car. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's my opinion that it takes a bit more experience to really drive these cars safely. If you're set on a car like this, and winter driving is not a problem where you are, you should look into a V6. You'll still get experience driving a rear-drive "sports" car, and you can add some mods to make it a little faster/handle better, but you can't get yourself into as much trouble and insurance will be much cheaper.

I was 16 once and of course I still feel the need for speed but.... talking from experience you're likely far better off in the long road by taking baby steps. Be patient and one day you'll be ready.

Quick Reply: How to convince my parents to let me get an LT1 Trans Am?