Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Building up Stock98 TA V8 ls1 5.7L

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building up Stock98 TA V8 ls1 5.7L

Just got the title to my 1998 trans am and im ready to make this thing a street legal monster. before we get into Heads & cam talk lets keep in mind that it is a STOCK 98 ls1 with 120k on the engine and new re-built trans in it.
runs great, engine is well maintained. BUT I want to shave some time down off a Q-mile. what are the VERY first smart steps I should take to begin improving horsepower, air flow , ect. starting from the ground up....
also my 98 TA rattles like crazy, sqeaks from the hatch back a lot , also lots of vibration while breaking ,..thinking about drilled and slotted roaters any suggestion???PLEASE HELP!!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

deffinately lid and exhaust first with a frost tune, if auto, stall, if stick, rear gears. should pep up the car significantly! to possibly fix the hatch rattle, you can just adjust the rubber bump stops on the truck, just raise them up for a snugger fit.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Beezy
Just got the title to my 1998 trans am and im ready to make this thing a street legal monster. before we get into Heads & cam talk lets keep in mind that it is a STOCK 98 ls1 with 120k on the engine and new re-built trans in it.
runs great, engine is well maintained. BUT I want to shave some time down off a Q-mile. what are the VERY first smart steps I should take to begin improving horsepower, air flow , ect. starting from the ground up....
also my 98 TA rattles like crazy, sqeaks from the hatch back a lot , also lots of vibration while breaking ,..thinking about drilled and slotted roaters any suggestion???PLEASE HELP!!
Lid, long tube headers, off road Y-pipe, your choice of catback (not flowmaster 80 series), dyno tune. That will have you making some solid numbers. If you have an auto get a stall and maybe some gears of the rears.
Drilled and slotted rotors are for looks, and can crack (especially the cheap ones). Get some quality BLANK rotors and some good quality pads, like hawk HPS. The pads are what matter when it comes to braking power.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=17&ModelID=7
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=191&ModelID=7
As for your rattles, try and find them and fix them. If you are getting rattles from shitty ride quality then look into a good set of shocks (not autozone replacement crap).
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Dont forget tires, there is no use in making the power if you can't put it down.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Teching In

fer sure thanks guys ,,I keep you posted on pics and info on the mods I do.....if any one else has tips or advice PLEASE SHARE! everything helps again thanks!1
Old 12-26-2013, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

To give you an idea an SLP flopac, LS6 intake kooks 1 7/8 long tubes (no cats), magnaflow cat back, yank ss4000 converter, 3.73 gears, 255/50r16 drag radials and starting with a frost tune but then tuning it myself with HP in my 95k mile '98 Trans Am at 3850lbs race weight went 12.08 at 110mph with a 1.56 short

Rattles well it's never going to be a European sports sedan in terms of build quality but I'd suggest UMI three point bolt on subframe connectors, will help some with rattles and shaved .03 off my 60ft when the car was bone stock, they work and fit well.

And I highly suggest learning how to tune yourself, or have it professionally tuned on a dyno AND the street. Box/mail order tunes are a good starting point if you don't know what your doing but the tolerances allowed in certain sensors mean it can never be spot on and if you want it to run its best the tune has to be on

Good luck

Quick Reply: Building up Stock98 TA V8 ls1 5.7L