Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My head hurts!!!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My head hurts!!!

Hopefully someone can help me out on this because my head hurts and I can't do much right now to fix it (just had ankle surgery last month). I have a 2002 TA with roughly 40k on it and it has been sitting for about a month and a half and I went to start it the other day and it wouldn't start (even after I jumped it in case it was the battery). I know about the security (VATS crap) but the light isn't on at all (I haven't gotten around to replacing the lock cylinder yet) which confuses me to know end. I tried to swap out the relays from the fan to the starter and it still would do anything. Again it's killing me cause I can't do much right now and I want to drive my car when I finally get my damn cast off. Hopefully someone has some ideas for me on this.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do you know it's not the battery? Did it turn over? Where was it stored?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Sounds like your saying it wont turn. Use a screwdriver and "jump" the terminals on the starter to see if it will spin... Id start there. If it doesn't, I know its in a bitch of a spot, but give the starter a couple of good whacks while someone has it held in the start position. Starter may have hit a dead spot on ya man
Old 01-10-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If its not cranking then it could just be a battery, some batteries when they are dead enough wont take a jump start.
So if its not cranking over, check the battery voltage and replace if necessary...
Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Teching In

The voltage was a little low but it jumped up on the gage when I tried to jump it. The thing is that the starter never tried to engage that's what makes me think it's the VATS but the security light isn't showing up. Also this is a red top battery that I just bought over the summer.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Teching In

The bad part is I can't crawl under the car right now to do that with starter (damn cast). I'll have to take my battery to get it tested and go from there. The car was stored outside but I'm in NC so it got a little cold but nothing crazy (I grew up in WI so I know about cold and cars...lol)
Old 01-10-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ceroberts30
The bad part is I can't crawl under the car right now to do that with starter (damn cast). I'll have to take my battery to get it tested and go from there. The car was stored outside but I'm in NC so it got a little cold but nothing crazy (I grew up in WI so I know about cold and cars...lol)
The only thing that should stop you from getting under a car is not having a car!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by idle
The only thing that should stop you from getting under a car is not having a car!
True it's the getting down and getting up that wouldn't happen getting under the car is the easy part.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

I had a starter go out on a car after it sat for a while, so I would lean toward that being the issue.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Teching In

That's what I'm thinking cause everything else seems to be working. Have to look into doing the starter.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Teching In

The red top (OPTIMA) batteries are not what they use to be. I switched this last year to using the nex Excide gel battery.

The voltage was a little low but it jumped up on the gage when I tried to jump it. The thing is that the starter never tried to engage that's what makes me think it's the VATS but the security light isn't showing up. Also this is a red top battery that I just bought over the summer.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Mine was stored for three years and when I got it on the road the starter went on me within a month. Had 60K miles on it when I got it back out so that's why I'm thinking the starter
Old 01-10-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you try to jump start it with?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by N20zuki
What did you try to jump start it with?
My other car. I watched the gage move up as soon as I connected the cables.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Teching In

*Guage*
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MMWS6
Mine was stored for three years and when I got it on the road the starter went on me within a month. Had 60K miles on it when I got it back out so that's why I'm thinking the starter
I'm pretty sure it's the starter cause everything else works....I turn the key and I hear the clicking lights are on security light turns on the off just the starter doesn't turn over at all.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd grab a short piece of wire and jump the starter relay pin to the 12volt power pole there at the fuse and relay box. Starter should turn over. I forget which pin number it is, but I had to try that when I had VATS issues and ruled out the starter since it turned over.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RJDio
I'd grab a short piece of wire and jump the starter relay pin to the 12volt power pole there at the fuse and relay box. Starter should turn over. I forget which pin number it is, but I had to try that when I had VATS issues and ruled out the starter since it turned over.
I'll have to check that out, but I don't think it's the VATS because the security light isn't on or blinking (usually stays on when I've had issues before)
Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine you didn't use a lawn mower.

What kind of car, if it was something small like a Honda civic with a 45amp alternator it wont start your car, not enough power. The voltage might be there but not the amps.

But since you have another car, you can pull your battery out and take it to your local auto parts store and they can load test the battery to see if it needs a charge or is in good working order.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd go buy or borrow a legit battery charger, place on that Optima until it starts to trickle charge after a day or two. I've gone through battery issues with both my cars and I have Optimas in them, 1st one is my daughters daily driver, she drives 5 miles to school and 5 miles back, blasts radio and charges her cell phone in it, noticed battery struggles sometimes from lack of long driving / charging. My garaged T/A is started and ran about 20 minutes a week, it keeps it charged but at times I've gone out there and DEAD. I'd say both batteries need to be placed on charger or taken out for a lengthy road trip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My head hurts!!!