Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

?? about 93-97 trans am's

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ?? about 93-97 trans am's

Ive been looking for a ls1 t/a and have expanded my search to include lt1 t/a's in hopes of finding a ride cheaper and getting into one sooner.

1- do lt1 t/a's have the same body control module and headlight gear problem?

2- did some lt1 t/a's come with the "low rise" firebird style spoiler instead of the "high rise" trans am spoiler? Ive seen a few cars with trans am badging, ground effects and front bumpers with the low rise spoiler, i figured it was rear ended and the owner found a cheap low rise spoiler/hatch and threw it on.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

I would stick with the ls1 if it were me. Idk your price limit but you could get a ls1 GTO or maybe even a ls2. And its easy to make power with them over the lt1.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

don't know about the BCM (I would assume so).
Headlight gears, is a definite YES, they are the same gears just mounted on opposite sides (98+ passenger is 93-97 driver side motor and vice versa for the other motor).

as for the hatch, yes, there was a thread on this on here recently and if I remember correctly it was an option on 93 and 94, but don't quote me on that, I'm sure someone from that thread will chime in soon enough.

personally I would just save up and go LS1 (but I would also research the subtle differences between years, like how the 98 has an oddball fuel pump not found in other years and things like that, that could impact future plans for the car). I'm just a fan of the 98+ front end a lot more.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
don't know about the BCM (I would assume so).
Headlight gears, is a definite YES, they are the same gears just mounted on opposite sides (98+ passenger is 93-97 driver side motor and vice versa for the other motor).

as for the hatch, yes, there was a thread on this on here recently and if I remember correctly it was an option on 93 and 94, but don't quote me on that, I'm sure someone from that thread will chime in soon enough.

personally I would just save up and go LS1 (but I would also research the subtle differences between years, like how the 98 has an oddball fuel pump not found in other years and things like that, that could impact future plans for the car). I'm just a fan of the 98+ front end a lot more.
Get an LS1. Save yourself the trouble. Im going to do full bolt ons for my car and then swap in a cam and Ill be barely making the power stock LS1s make. A high miles LS1 will run hard as hell and you should be able to find a clean one for around 5k.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSmiff
Get an LS1. Save yourself the trouble. Im going to do full bolt ons for my car and then swap in a cam and Ill be barely making the power stock LS1s make. A high miles LS1 will run hard as hell and you should be able to find a clean one for around 5k.
You can say that again. I just saw a dyno sheet last week of a 318k mile early LS1+T56 with LT, ORY, no cats and a lid still lay down 330ish whp.

Whats compression loss again?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by anotherreject04
Ive been looking for a ls1 t/a and have expanded my search to include lt1 t/a's in hopes of finding a ride cheaper and getting into one sooner.

1- do lt1 t/a's have the same body control module and headlight gear problem?

2- did some lt1 t/a's come with the "low rise" firebird style spoiler instead of the "high rise" trans am spoiler? Ive seen a few cars with trans am badging, ground effects and front bumpers with the low rise spoiler, i figured it was rear ended and the owner found a cheap low rise spoiler/hatch and threw it on.
1.) Yes.

2.) Yes. The low rise spoiler was standard on the Trans Am from 1994-1997, with the hi rise spoiler being an option called the "T43-Uplift Spoiler."

The flat spoiler got increasingly more and more rare as the years went by.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSmiff
You are wrong thinking a LT1 with a cam will make the same power as a stock ls1. A bolt on LT1 is more equal to a stock ls1 and a cammed LT1 is close to a bolt on ls1.

OP, a '93-97 f-body is a good choice if you can find a nice one. The door panels and dash pad don't crack like the later cars and the roof sail panel doesn't delaminate.
My '94 has the low rise spoiler, it's a base TA. In '94 the Trans Am GT and Anniversary TA had the high rise spoiler.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers, im still looking. I actually like the lt1 front end a little better. Finding a lt1 in good shape that hasnt been scavenged and frakenstiened together by people who call themselves "mechanics" is a task. For the price of a nice lt1 i can find a ls1 for a few dollars more.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW the BCM did not appear until 1996. Some people (myself included) say the 95 is one of the best years for the LT1 era cars

1. you get the better vented optispark and MAF
2. you don't have to deal with the BCM or the extra emissions related stuff from 96-97 cars

the only drawback to a 95 is the funky OBD port. 95's have an OBD2 style port under the dash but use an OBD1 computer. thus an OBD2 scanner won't read codes and an OBD1 won't either unless it's got the specific adaptor for 95 GM cars. A $50 cable and Scan9495 and TunerProRT will fix that though.

Also depending on the state, 95 and older cars are exempt from emissions testing because some states are phasing out the roller tests which are required for OBD1 cars.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
Also depending on the state, 95 and older cars are exempt from emissions testing because some states are phasing out the roller tests which are required for OBD1 cars.
Don't come to Northwest Indiana. We test cars 35 years old and up.

So right now, if your car is newer than 1979, have fun with cats.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i bought a super clean 95 camaro lt1. single owner with 61000 miles. just look over the car real well and ask for any paperwork/receipts to show it has been taken care of. Mine came with a folder of paperwork all done at a Cadillac dealership (he was a service tec there) just got to go with ur gut. if it seems sketch it probably is. alot of the ls1 fbodys are beat to **** as well.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
Don't come to Northwest Indiana. We test cars 35 years old and up.

So right now, if your car is newer than 1979, have fun with cats.
Ironically, i'm from NW indiana and had to have mine tested up there . I was referring to illinois which did something right for a change.

i now live back in FL, which is where i bought my car originally, and have no emissions requirements.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
Ironically, i'm from NW indiana and had to have mine tested up there . I was referring to illinois which did something right for a change.
Or the rest of the state. Or pretty much EVERY other state.

Does anyone know of any other areas that still test OBDI cars ( aside from California )? I know of the areas that require emissions at all, most have a cutoff after 15 years.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by guppymech
You are wrong thinking a LT1 with a cam will make the same power as a stock ls1. A bolt on LT1 is more equal to a stock ls1 and a cammed LT1 is close to a bolt on ls1.
OP, a '93-97 f-body is a good choice if you can find a nice one. The door panels and dash pad don't crack like the later cars and the roof sail panel doesn't delaminate.
My '94 has the low rise spoiler, it's a base TA. In '94 the Trans Am GT and Anniversary TA had the high rise spoiler.
I dont see where the argument is here lol. I just trolled the classifieds to see if I was right to be sure. I saw at least 6 stockish LS1s for $6500 or less that looked damn good. Sure for the same amount you could get a cammed bolt on lt1 but even with the wildest cam and bolt ons youre limited to 350~ hp with an auto 365-375 with a stick just because the stock LT1 heads are so shitty. Then you start getting into H/C/I territory. If I could do it all over again I would get a LS1 and just go from there.

Im no LT1 hater as you can see by my sig this is my second LT1. And its going to be a ******* monster whenever I can get the time to finish putting all this **** in that I bought for it. But stock for stock Im still giving up 60-70 hp that I have to purchase a way to make up.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TechCam97
1.) Yes.

2.) Yes. The low rise spoiler was standard on the Trans Am from 1994-1997, with the hi rise spoiler being an option called the "T43-Uplift Spoiler."

The flat spoiler got increasingly more and more rare as the years went by.
Yay my car is one of 4857 in 94. Eye fill speshul haha

Quick Reply: ?? about 93-97 trans am's