Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

4th Gen Steering Ratios

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4th Gen Steering Ratios

So I have a v6 and plan to rework it into an LS1, and I've asked in a previous thread what steering rack I should use and came up with the Y87 or Trans Am rack. I did a search and found that they both have the same steering ratio correct? So it shouldn't matter which one I use, but I would imagine the Trans Am/Formula would be easier to find. But during the search I found that the WS6 rack has an even better ratio, so this brings up my new question, does the WS6 have the quickest ratio of the 4th gens, or does maybe the Firehawk have a quicker one, and are there any specific years or editions that have the best? Also, since I'm probably going to be getting most of my parts from Pick-A-Part or other junkyards, what is the Camaro equivalent of the WS6? And when I go to pull the steering rack, what all will I have to take off the car to make it work on mine?

As always, thanks for all the help guys
Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from everything I've seen and can find there are 2 racks

1. F41, the steering rack found in LT1 93-97 and ALL V6 models. this rack uses the steering coupler with the rag joint.
2. FE2, the LS1 98-02 ONLY steering rack (which is the "quicker" of the 2) this rack uses steering coupler WITHOUT the rag joint.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Steering Ratios