Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2001 trans am ls1 AT will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 trans am ls1 AT will not turn over

Ok so two weeks ago the bearing in my alternator started sqealing so i replaced the alternator and both belts. About five days ago i replaced my starter because the bendix would not disengage the flywheel. And now it will not turn over. This has happened twice since i replaced the starter. It will fire right up when i jump it. Then i can drive a day or two and it does it again. The terminals are tight and autozone has checked the battery twice and both times it tests good. Im stumped. I even made sure everything turns off when i turn the car off. So my question is do i get a new battery even though mine tests good or do i look somewhere else? The new alternator is putting out 13.75 volts and only fluctuates +/- .02 volts.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Next time after shutting it off check the voltage at the battery. Leave the headlights ON for 30 seconds prior to remove any surface charge. I would do this until the next time the problem presents itself,checking the battery voltage again so you can see if its a intermittent drain on the battery.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by uscav82
Next time after shutting it off check the voltage at the battery. Leave the headlights ON for 30 seconds prior to remove any surface charge. I would do this until the next time the problem presents itself,checking the battery voltage again so you can see if its a intermittent drain on the battery.

Ok. Will do. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery probably has a dead cell. Easy way to tell is test the acid or charge it for a few hours remove caps and make sure all 6 cells are bubbling. If one isn't it is a dead cell-bad battery

Quick Reply: 2001 trans am ls1 AT will not turn over