Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

daily driving a f body question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default daily driving a f body question

So I am looking for a Trans am, finally replacing my 96 WS6, one of the things about that car that I hated was it was to nice, wouldnt take it to work because I did not want to let it sit in the sun, I know OCD big time, my plan this time is to drive it and enjoy it, a cpl of the cars I am looking at are crack free and rip free, is there a secret to keeping the dash and doors from cracking? I always thought people forced the windows open in the cold cracked the doors, but now I hear it happens in the heat also, is there a way to prevent this? lots of armor all? LOL I'm thinking the seats are doomed for daily use just because I'm 6'4 and in/out can be tough,

Thanks, like I said I want to drive this car, pretty much every day its not raining my truck has 90+ miles now and I would like to keep it for a while, buying a t/a is cheaper then a new truck
Old 03-09-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The doors crack because of the staples. There is a writeup on here that shows you how to fix it. I've heard mixed results on armor all. Some folks say it makes your dash greasy and dries it out others say it does the opposite. I just wipe mine down with a damp rag. I don't use armor all on my dash. It hasn't cracked yet.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, I actually use black magic, but probably a moot point LOL
Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

what staples?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a big staple on the inside of the door panel that when the window moves up and down it flexes the panel because there is that big staple against it. I think it is a sticky somewhere. It shows you how to take apart the panel and fix it. If they're already cracked it won't help though.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use to D/D my hawk everyday year round. The salt sped up the problems with the hawk rims. I kept a windshield protector on it everyday that it wasn't parked under a roof. I have a small crack on the dash that came 4years later after the hawk was only driven on good days. So far my doors are good. I have known about the cracks since I bought it so I stayed away from puttingthe windows up tight, and not putting them down all the way, forcing out the bulge. I had a X that drove her 02 trans am year round 100 miles everyday on interstate in snow and rain. No cracks on dash or doors.
I believe in the General Maint and repairs you will find about the How Too's known as the sticky's.https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ng-thread.html
Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

salt won't be a issue, don't plan on driving it in the rain, but if i got caught in the rain oh well, My prev 96 WS6 only came out on guarantee no rain days, lost many nice days that did not end up raining based on a chance she would not come out
Old 03-09-2014, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a sunshade for the windshield, Covercraft makes nice, custom fitted ones for these cars. Use the t-top shades and tint the windows if you prefer. One of the first things I did was tint the rear hatch glass, for looks and to protect the rear seats and carpet.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

All of the above and use some leather conditioner every couple of months or so. My A4 has been my DD for 10 years in all kinds of weather extremes, parked outside for the entire workday, and no cracks.

I spray a slight amount of leather cleaner on a rag when I wipe down the dashpad. It adds a little moisturizer but doesn't create the gloss reflection on the windshield like a silicone based product will.

At 6'4" you'll have to be careful of the side bolster getting in and out if it's a T/A. Formula seats are not as nice, but but the bolster is smaller and easier to maneuver around with out rubbing on it.

Last edited by RevGTO; 03-10-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

some good info, thanks guys

Quick Reply: daily driving a f body question