Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

99 Firebird missfire 3800 non Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 Firebird missfire 3800 non Supercharged

Okay i relaced the 3,6 coil pack becuase it was bad. then i replaced all the plugs and wires. Double checked to make sure they where all on/ correct firing order. However i am still getting a missfire (ses flashes) and when i go up a hill at 50 mph i am doing about 30 by the time i get up it. So i was wondering if maybe my Cat was clogged or if that could even cause me to lose power going up hill. I reset the ses light and erased all the codes. The ses light started flashing and after about 10-12 flashes it stayed solid. Anyone have any ideas? SES light is the only light on. all the grounds seem okay. I took off all the ones that could be for the coils used a brush and cleaned the connector and the metal to ensure it had proper ground. Still nothing. I dont know what else to do. If i take the O2 out from the cat could i drive it with it out and see if that seems to help? Anything will help thanks all!

::EDIT:: Okay so i forgot to ask something on the previous post earlier. Could a bad/dirty maf cause all these symptoms as well aside from the iss fire which btw i think i have that fixed ill update tomorrow to let you know for sure. But i was doing some research for another post on here and some of the issues i had found that it can cause seemed like it could be but i wasnt sure. Any opinions?

Last edited by Jrclayton; 03-19-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Run to autozone to get your computer scanned to see what codes are coming up for the ses light. it could be a lot of things but you need to read the computer to see what the problem is
Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

When you say that you replaced the 3-6 coil pack because it was bad, you mean that you replaced one of the three coils on the coil pack, the one that goes to cylinders 3 and 6, right?

Because your symptoms still sound to me like a blown coil on the 3800 series II engine. Did you have the other 2 coils checked out? I had the same symptoms exactly when a bad spark plug wire blew a coil on my previous V-6. Problem is more obvious when under a load, like climbing a hill.

I would be sure of the other 2 coils before I looked for another source of the problem.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

what you describe is the exact scenario I experienced a few months back, my code was a Cylinder 3 misfire and so I had the plugs and wires done (the old ones where shot, some fell apart when being removed) and everything was fine driving for a couple minutes then the misfire with the lack of power to climb a hill returned so I let the engine cool off and swapped a spare coil pack the P.O. had given me (he swapped the motor so he had a complete spare ICM with coil packs) and the misfire disappeared once that was confirmed as the issue I proceeded to replace ALL the coil packs, because if one is done the others aren't far behind.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 PM

It is fixed now. actually it was caused by a clogged Catalytic converter. Im assuming the missfire and fouled plug ruined the cat. I drilled 3 holes right before the cat and a;; symptoms went away. i am getting it replaced tomorrow. As for the missfire i was still having in the original post it had burnt through a plug wire because the exhaust was getting so how from the clogged cat. I hope anyone who reads this finds it helpful.

Quick Reply: 99 Firebird missfire 3800 non Supercharged