Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

99 Firebird 3800 wants to die

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 Firebird 3800 wants to die

Okay so i had a miss fire and i thought i had it fixed so i reset the codes. I left the battery (negative only) over night and re attached it this morning to give it a test drive. Before i started it i unhooked my maf and cleaned it. I used proper air induction cleaner. It was a little dirty. I let it dry for 10-15 minutes before re installing it. I drove the car and i still could not accelerate up hills. I get to 30mph and it wants to stay there. I cant rev it more than 25-2600 rpms. There is currently no check engine light on. No ticking knocking or pinging from the engine. Oil is good and tranny fluid is good. Transmission shifts great doesnt shift hard either. Also after driving it was at 195 on the gauge which is where it is supposed to be. I put the car in park and gave it a slow rev as high as it would go. (4500 rpm just before redline) and i let out of it quickly and my car started to shake and wanted to die. I dont that a couple of times and same results. I unplugged the maf while it was running got back in and revved it slowly to 2500 rpm let out and of course it died. plugged it back in and fired right up. However it still shakes and wants to die after i rev and let out. Still no SES light. Any one had this problem and willing to throw suggestions?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on it? Maybe it has stoped up cats on it. Can u datalog or view data on it while its running?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 AM

147XXX and i thought about the cats as well. Seeing as how i had a miss fire and all. Maybe it clogged the cat. Maybe if i knew how to datalog it. Or better had the software/hardware. If you have a tutorial on that then i would greatly try it.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I responded to your other thread where you replaced a bad coil. I think you still have another bad coil. Don't go chasing new problems unless you are really sure all 3 coils are good.

Don't mean to repeat myself or nag, I may be wrong.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM

I only made this one because i couldnt find the other one lol. Thanks for repeating it actually. whats the best way to check the other coils? Just pull the wire off the plug and check for spark?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Teching In

I would check the cat as well, my 3.8 had that same acceleration problem and it was the cat.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Adam Zimmer
I would check the cat as well, my 3.8 had that same acceleration problem and it was the cat.
I am going to in a few minutes. Im just going to drill a hole before the cat. If it fixes my problem then i know. I can hear it rattle when i rev it slightly so i am almost 100% sure thats the issue.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 PM

it was the catalytic converter. I drilled 3 holes right in front of it and no more issue's. i have an appointment saturday to get a new one. Thanks all

Quick Reply: 99 Firebird 3800 wants to die