Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Trans Am interior question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am interior question.

Hello all.

I purchased a 2000 Trans Am (Non WS6) a couple of months ago. Something I caught (but disappointed I didn't on the test drive) was the front seats do not have the plastic hard cover in the back with a net to hold small items. My 98 WS6 (I owned a long time ago) had seats like that and I thought all T/As with leather seats were similar. The power controls on my 2000 the driver side are different too than other T/As. Instead of plastic control switches on the side it has metal switches with an alignment that reminds me of 3rd gen seat controls. Now at first I thought I had purchased a car that someone quickly had the seats resurfaced in vinyl and had to put different switches in and just was going to deal it... Until I found a 2001 model on ebay today that has the same seats I just described in my car. All other T/As I viewed (WS6 or not) have the seats I first described with the hard plastic back and swithces. Was there some kind of option I am not aware and I have the base leather seats OR coincidence both cars had similar resurfacing done? (Car on Ebay is in Oklahoma, Mine was purchased from California..)

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Thank You.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

from what I've seen there are 3 firebird/formula/trans am front seats:

1. standard cloth seat

2. Leather seat

3. Leather seat with hard plastic back

I wonder if the difference between the 2 leather seats is that one is the one with the lumbar support and the other is the one without it, maybe I don't know I just know there are 2 different leather ones.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 PM

i can sew some on for ya just send me the covers they are wicked easy to remove im going to do mine soon too
Old 04-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't know what year this seat line up became effective - I'm guessing it was 98 & up, but here is how it played out.
- Most Trans Ams got the leather seats with inflatable lumbar & side bolster bladders, hard backs, and six-way plastic button controls (the one in the pic is the earlier '94 style with different controls).
- Some non-WS6 Trans Ams got the non-inflatable soft-backside leather seats with six-way metal button controls (like your car and the car on ebay).
- Formulas and base Firebirds when ordered with leather got the non-inflatable soft-backside seats with metal button controls.
- Formulas came standard with cloth seats with the metal button controls.
- Base Firebirds came standard with manual cloth seats.

What's interesting is that my 94 Formulas both had the hard back inflatable leather seats with manually adjustable thigh bolsters. The adjustable thigh bolsters went away at some point on these seats, and at some other point, the inflatable hard backs were no longer available on Formulas.

Last edited by RevGTO; 04-10-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

RPO ;
AC3 power 6 way, bucket, driver
AG1 Adjuster, 6-Way Power, Driver Seat
AG4 Adjuster, 2-Way Manual, Driver Seat
AR9 front bucket, European style, passenger & driver (Think its the middle pic seats)
AH3 Adjuster, 4-Way Manual, Driver Seat
AK5 Restraint System Front Seat, Inflatable, Driver and Passenger
AQ9 Seat, Passenger and Driver, Recline
Old 04-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. I will look up the RPO code on the door next time I get to it. (Car is in a family farm house garage while I move to new location.)

I will be back for more questions I am sure.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am interior question.