Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New 2001 trans am ws6

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2001 trans am ws6

Well just got a new 2001 trans am ws6 m6 about a month ago with 30000 miles. Now it's time to start modding it, but need some help. I just ordered umi 3pt sub-frame connectors, slp flow-PAC, but my mI question is about the exhaust. I am getting American racing headers but didn't know which size to get and also will this require a tune? Also should I go wit off-road y-pipe or cartted. Also which cat-back would be best between magnaflow or adj. borla. And I'm on a 5000 dollar budget anything else you guys would reccomend.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Default Pic

Only pic I have of her
Attached Thumbnails New 2001 trans am ws6-image.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 01:46 PM
o2k
Staging Lane

congrats!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

The only reason to get shorty headers would be if you lived in a state that requires smog check. If not, full length long tubes are the obvious choice. Tough to install, but I have done it 3 times. No tune required. Get an off-road y-pipe and don't forget o2 simulators. Borla is prolly the best cat-back you listed but also prolly the most expensive.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Skeetwya
The only reason to get shorty headers would be if you lived in a state that requires smog check. If not, full length long tubes are the obvious choice. Tough to install, but I have done it 3 times. No tune required. Get an off-road y-pipe and don't forget o2 simulators. Borla is prolly the best cat-back you listed but also prolly the most expensive.
Thanks for the info. How do the o2 simulators work? They trick the car into thinking their are cats correct. And I am looking at American racing headers should I get off road or the ones with egr and air?
Thanks again
Old 05-19-2014, 04:40 AM
Staging Lane

Do you like to go fast? Do you like really really loud? I always blocked off the egr. Again, I would only consider keeping the egr and air functional if you live in a smog controlled state like I do (cali). You have the right idea for the o2 simulator. It just clips in and then attaches by magnet to your frame, like the skip-shift eliminator. It should take care of the SES light but it will mean that the SES no longer functions as a diagnosis for the car running poorly. The computer will always think the car is running well.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 AM
Staging Lane

By the way, you will notice a large increase in horse power from long tubes, you will love it. Really really wakes the ls1 up.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

SFC's were a great call. Are you going to drag race it? I have found changing the rear-end gear ratio and drag radials are the most cost effective way to lower ET's
Old 05-19-2014, 04:47 AM
Staging Lane

You might consider dumping the exhaust behind the rear axle too. It would save you having to buy a cat-back system. This won't gain you any power, but I like the no tail-pipe look. I feel like it is intimidating.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You do need a tune or it will screw with fueling due to increased airflow and run crappy. Forget about 02 sims tune out cat codes when tune is done. But may consider cats as LS1's are notoriously raspy without themesp depending on your choice of cat backs. Both of the catbacks you listed are great choices it boils down to your budget and exhaust tone you are after
Old 05-19-2014, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Running o2 simulators will not make the SES light inoperable...it will just make the PCM think there are working sensors there.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Banned

Hamilton county in TN requires smog test and i have LT Headers
Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

american racing headers make a great product! if you can do the do it yourself e check like i can in my area. all you have to do is make sure the ses light is off and you will pass.

sub frame connectors
long tubes and ory
eliminate skip shift

really depends on your budget. ready to lower it? BMR or strano springs IMO. Bilstein shocks recommended. adjustable panhard bar if you lower it.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the info now I just gotta find a place to install everything. Trying to get into cincy speed but can't get in
Old 05-20-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice t/a. I would always tend to go with the larger headers, they will make more power and give room to grow. 1 7/8 offroad. Delete the air system as you wont need it with cats, since you have an 01 you already have an ls6 intake and no egr so I would get the offroad headers and skip all of that together. Make sure to either pickup o2 extensions so the sensors will reach to the lt's or get new corvette o2's which come with longer leads. Also pick up a lid if you dont have one already.

You dont need a tune right away, a tune will just optimize your gains. wait till you get all your bolt on mods done and tune for everything at once.

Finally is the car auto or stick? If its an auto, the absolute first mod should be a stall converter if its an m6 a short shifter and gears. After all this get a tune

Last edited by redbird555; 05-20-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99z28383
Running o2 simulators will not make the SES light inoperable...it will just make the PCM think there are working sensors there.
right, but the sensors always read like everything is okay and what if he has a major air/fuel ratio mess-up?

I always drove on long tubes with no tune. I agree the tune would optimize the performance gains, but I would argue that the gas usage is terrible. I didn't notice a difference. Wait till you put a cam or change your rocker arms, or do the other modifications that add horse-power. Tune should be after you are done buying go-fast toys.

tune > o2 sims all day
Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Rear 02's have no effect of fueling they are there for cat monitor purposes only.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

If you are a auto get a tune after header install, delete torque management, increase line pressure, quicker shifts, it will be worth it.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you like to go fast? Do you like really really loud? I always blocked off the egr. Again, I would only consider keeping the egr and air functional if you live in a smog controlled state like I do (cali). You have the right idea for the o2 simulator. It just clips in and then attaches by magnet to your frame, like the skip-shift eliminator. It should take care of the SES light but it will mean that the SES no longer functions as a diagnosis for the car running poorly. The computer will always think the car is running well.
Originally Posted by 99z28383
Correct which is fine for lt's but i would just take that money for a tune.
right, but the sensors always read like everything is okay and what if he has a major air/fuel ratio mess-up?

I always drove on long tubes with no tune. I agree the tune would optimize the performance gains, but I would argue that the gas usage is terrible. I didn't notice a difference. Wait till you put a cam or change your rocker arms, or do the other modifications that add horse-power. Tune should be after you are done buying go-fast toys.

tune > o2 sims all day
Uggh ya but he would be putting them on the rear o2's which are only to monitor the catalytic converters. they do virtually nothing to effect fueling. front o2's control fueling and should never have o2 simualtors in place.

again though the ses will still detect other codes they will just need to be scanned as the light will always be on.... still i'd rather save the simulator money for a good tune.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Banned

If you get a good tune and put fake cats on your car you will be fine i know several people that do that and pass their emissions test all the time

Quick Reply: New 2001 trans am ws6