Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New to me 2000 V6 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2000 V6 Firebird

Just acquired a 2000 V6 Bird in the Burgundy color. This is a DD for me as I have a 2000 Ls1 Camaro for a joyride car.

This is my first bird though so i was looking for some tips or any mods that anyone found to be cool or useful. Im keeping the engine the same but may decide to change up the interior and the exterior just for a fun project.

Any idea would be appreciated or Post ***** some pictures of some burgundy birds?

Thanks in advance!

Id post pictures but its a stock ttop car and needs to have the front and rear bumper painted from the paint cracking and chips.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

a few simple and relatively cheap things to start with:

1. Remove side molding and firebird name plate from the doors.
2. Debaffle the stock air lid (it's a daily so unless you just want to sink alot of money into it, it's not worth a full on v6 lid (plus very hard to find the v6 specific lid for 99+ cars)
3. eliminate the box between the airlid and throttle body (using a piece of PVC pipe). makes working on the front of the motor easier.
4. If you have upgraded your stock exhaust on your ls1 car (with a 3" cat-back) adapt the v8 midpipe and rear section onto the v6, will help some and give it a better sound.
5. if you have to repaint the rear bumper get a T/A rear bumper and have it painted to match, they just look better, also try to get a T/A highrise hatch while your at it, swapping those 2 body parts out just helps the look of the car so much.
Attached Thumbnails New to me 2000 V6 Firebird-2012-09-03_16-38-31_556.jpg   New to me 2000 V6 Firebird-2012-09-03_16-45-06_259.jpg   New to me 2000 V6 Firebird-2012-09-09_19-09-25_757.jpg  
Old 06-07-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

WS6Store has various decals to choose from. After Thoughts Auto has the rear tail light panel bird decals too which can be a nice touch - especially if yours has faded to be pinkish. Maybe some new exhaust tips too, if you don't want to replace the exhaust itself.

Some more expensive options would be Bilstein Shocks and BMR/Strano springs to lower the car for a much nicer stance, if you can deal with it it being an inch lower. WS6 Store also has heated seat kits which would be nice in a DD.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
WS6Store has various decals to choose from. After Thoughts Auto has the rear tail light panel bird decals too which can be a nice touch - especially if yours has faded to be pinkish. Maybe some new exhaust tips too, if you don't want to replace the exhaust itself.

Some more expensive options would be Bilstein Shocks and BMR/Strano springs to lower the car for a much nicer stance, if you can deal with it it being an inch lower. WS6 Store also has heated seat kits which would be nice in a DD.
Heated seats aren't really needed when you have cloth seats like the v6's, unlike vinyl/leather seats they aren't as effected by temperature extremes.

but I would say yes to new shocks as a general rule.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Heated seats aren't really needed when you have cloth seats like the v6's, unlike vinyl/leather seats they aren't as effected by temperature extremes.

but I would say yes to new shocks as a general rule.
I disagree about cloth seats. I find that while their temperature doesn't raise/lower as much while sitting, they don't change temperature as quickly once you're driving. I used to drive a cloth interior Grand Am GT a lot and even after 30 minutes of driving on a hot day, the seats still were kind of hot and slowly leaking heat onto me, while leather cools down in the A/C much more quickly. Same thing with the cold.

Either way, I can't say heated blankets are a terrible thing even if blankets aren't ice cold from the start, which is basically what this would be like. Also, I thought you could get leather with the V6 as an option so he might not have cloth seats anyways.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with Daniel, I did 2-4 when I had a V6 camaro.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

also check out fullthrottlev6.com you'll find all the v6 info you could need there, being that you have the 2000 model that means you have the later exhaust manifolds and not the "log" style of the 99 and earlier cars which makes changing the spark plugs easier, so again unless you just want to go all out probably not worth the cash to do headers on it, if a 99 or older then yes do headers if for no other reason then to make changing plugs easier, also like with any "new to you" car, run some Lucas Fuel system cleaner thru it then after a tank or 2 to get that all run thru change the fuel filter, you know just do the standard tune up stuff everyone should do when they buy a used car.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
I disagree about cloth seats. I find that while their temperature doesn't raise/lower as much while sitting, they don't change temperature as quickly once you're driving. I used to drive a cloth interior Grand Am GT a lot and even after 30 minutes of driving on a hot day, the seats still were kind of hot and slowly leaking heat onto me, while leather cools down in the A/C much more quickly. Same thing with the cold.
Going off topic here but so glad to hear somebody say this. Leather seat surfaces adapt so much quicker to your body temp, while the cloth reminds me of trying to sleep on a hot mattress on a summer night with no A/C ... the gift of heat that keeps on giving ... torment.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Pontiacerator

Back to topic, for years I had a 60's Pontiac LeMans as a DD with a GTO as my fun car. V6/LS1 Firebirds work the same way. You get the style and the feel of the platform on a daily basis, plus better economy, but the power when you really want to rock it.

Then again, if you can afford it, why fool around? The fastest car in my stable is also my DD: stalled A4 LS1.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd also get the front plate cover/filler if you don't have it when you repaint the car, if you do. Makes a huge difference and it's only about $50 for a new unpainted one at after thoughts auto. I've never been pulled over for it here in Virginia, and have been pulled for speeding a couple times and they never mentioned it. At least one should have noticed because he walked in front of my car when pulling me over.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

new wheels be nice.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Teching In

The mods I've had the most fun with for my v6 would be the exhaust. Which is pacesetters to the tsp Rumbler. And the posi and gears. It's much much more fun to drive.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info so far! A lot of good feedback to get me started. Id say I will most likely not touch the motor for power just because its really just a back and forth to work and Its about a an hour drive. I may mess with the stock air lid for more airflow but most likely wont go new heads route as Id rather spend the money on the LS car.. Also with the springs and shocks I completely understand with the better stance as Ive got a 2 inch drop on the Camaro but again not sure I want to go to the extreme with this car. But thanks for the options.

The Bumper and Plate cover are great options. Has anyone had any luck painting their old bumpers. The issues ive got is the rear bumper seems to be peeling off the clear coat and the front bumper is splinter cracked from the very center and spreads. Ill try to get some pictures for more detail. Im not an expert with paint but since it is a DD it would give me a chance to play around and practice.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Also The Driver Seat seems to sit real low. Ive got electric seats on the LS to bump it up higher but I cant seem to get this seat to raise at all. I know it has the two levers in the front but I can only get one to slide the seat. Whats the other lever for? Any ideas on raising the seat? I can see fine just wished it was a tad higher
Old 06-21-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1BlackLS1
Thanks for the info so far! A lot of good feedback to get me started. Id say I will most likely not touch the motor for power just because its really just a back and forth to work and Its about a an hour drive. I may mess with the stock air lid for more airflow but most likely wont go new heads route as Id rather spend the money on the LS car.. Also with the springs and shocks I completely understand with the better stance as Ive got a 2 inch drop on the Camaro but again not sure I want to go to the extreme with this car. But thanks for the options.

The Bumper and Plate cover are great options. Has anyone had any luck painting their old bumpers. The issues ive got is the rear bumper seems to be peeling off the clear coat and the front bumper is splinter cracked from the very center and spreads. Ill try to get some pictures for more detail. Im not an expert with paint but since it is a DD it would give me a chance to play around and practice.
peeling clear and spider webbing both require sanding off of affected areas then a complete repaint, there is no way to try to salvage the existing paint in either case.

I just got my front suspension "rebuilt" (all new Moog Ball Joints and control arm bushings plus my BMR/Bilstein combo) and on the short drive from the mechanic to the alignment shop I could tell how much better that front end rides versus the worn stock parts (even with the pull from the alignment being out of whack), definitely something to consider if the miles are on the car.

Originally Posted by 1BlackLS1
Also The Driver Seat seems to sit real low. Ive got electric seats on the LS to bump it up higher but I cant seem to get this seat to raise at all. I know it has the two levers in the front but I can only get one to slide the seat. Whats the other lever for? Any ideas on raising the seat? I can see fine just wished it was a tad higher
Never have figured out the second lever, I remember thinking something was wrong with the seat when I got the car because the lever I was pulling wasn't letting the seat slide, till I realized I was pulling the wrong lever.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Pontiacerator

You can't adjust the height on a manual seat.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

I have the same problems on my burgundy V6. Heres to whoring! Theyre not totally worthless cars as alot of people will claim

Quick Reply: New to me 2000 V6 Firebird