Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter

I have a 98 ws6 and my starter I think hung up battery is dead but every time I would go to jump start it and just give it power from cables it wants to start on its own not even cranking the key or its just on and it's whining(spinning) I don't know if it's the starter or something else I really love this car and don't want to see it go and if anyone knows a mechanic in northern nj that knows those cars well I just want it to keep running
Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It's hard to understand what your problem is. Periods and punctuation are in the language for a reason.

For example:
The dog shoved the cat up the *** on the farm loves hay

is different from:

The dog shoved the cat. Up, the *** on the farm, loves hay.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
It's hard to understand what your problem is. Periods and punctuation are in the language for a reason.

For example:
The dog shoved the cat up the *** on the farm loves hay

is different from:

The dog shoved the cat. Up, the *** on the farm, loves hay.
Haha, ya know ****, I don't know what is so hard that people can't word their questions correct in order to get a accurate response. OP edit your post and try again so we know what's going on since we are NOT talking in person here.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

There's no need to give up on the car. Advance Auto can test your starter and alternator for you. If you need help finding a shop, ask someone you trust where they take their car for service. You could also try your local GM dealership. Labor may be a little higher, but at least they know what they are doing. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If it sounds like the starter is trying to engage yet won't turn (crank) the engine even with a jump from another car, the starter may be bad.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It may be his poor grammar but it kind of sounds like as soon as he hooks the car up for a jump, the starter stars trying to turn the car on all by itself. But since the key isn't in the run position, the car obviously isn't going to start.

OP, get your battery tested, check your grounds and wiring ( ESPECIALLY at the starter ) and if you still have problems, get a new starter.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
It may be his poor grammar but it kind of sounds like as soon as he hooks the car up for a jump, the starter stars trying to turn the car on all by itself. But since the key isn't in the run position, the car obviously isn't going to start.

OP, get your battery tested, check your grounds and wiring ( ESPECIALLY at the starter ) and if you still have problems, get a new starter.
yes thats exactly it everytime i go to jump it the started starts to crank the motor
Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

dzik, is English not your first language?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If your engine is cranking (turning) when you try to start it but it won't start, it could be a few things. Fuel system, ignition system, PCM problem, blown fuses....

I would suggest you find a small repair shop that's not a chain. No Pep Boys, Midas, Mavis, Sears, none of that.

Tell them you want an estimate. They should find the one thing that's preventing the engine from running, you don't want them to start changing every part they touch until they hit on the right one.

Also, have them make recommendations for service. I'll take a guess you'll need spark plugs & wires, fuel filter, oil & filter change, etc.

The important thing is to only authorize the work you want done, don't let them just do what they want-it could get expensive.

I want to re-state not to go to a chain shop, use a small privately owned garage.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Hes not trying to start it though. As soon as he hooks up jumper cables from another car, the starter activates on its own. He confirmed this in his 2nd post.

I wouldn't imagine the car would actually start in this condition since his key isn't in the run position so the PCM and electronics aren't getting any signal to activate. At least thats my theory.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Starter relay? If the coil is stuck it'll keep power going to the starter solenoid. Seen that a few times

Quick Reply: starter