Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Trans Am WS6

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2000 Trans Am WS6

Hey all, I'm finally about 1.5-2 weeks away from getting my first F-body.

I was fortunate to find a 2000 Trans Am WS6 M6 with just under 8k miles. I would like to keep this car clean, show it and enjoy it while making it mine a little bit.

I was hoping to go with headers and exhaust and probably fast 90 intake manifold and throttle bodies down the line.

I know I can get the LS6 intake manifold and such, but like I said I want to show the car so I'll get the fast intakes more than likely.

What I want to know is what you guys recommend for headers and exhaust or what you feel about doing headers and exhaust to a mint and stock car like this.

I want to do:

TSP 1 3/4 Stainless Headers - No real gains over the 1 7/8 from what I see.
TSP Catted Y-pipe - to keep the drone down
SLP LMII w/ Corsa Clones
Fast 90mm Intake Manifold/TB
CCW 550's in 18's

That's about all my mod plan consists of for this car. Any suggestions or things to possibly add?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cars are meant to be driven, Id go TSP 1 7/8 no doubt. the rest of the set up seems good to me
Old 07-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sladester2
cars are meant to be driven, Id go TSP 1 7/8 no doubt. the rest of the set up seems good to me
It's going to be driven a reasonable amount, just not going to daily it.

Any real improvements with 1 7/8 over 1 3/4? I've seen TSP compare their 1 7/8 vs Pacesetter 1 3/4, but never compared the two. To me this seems a little odd.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't done my exhaust yet but throw some Strano or UMI springs, Strano sway bars and strut/shocks of your choosing. Made one hell of a difference in the way my car handles.
All of that stuff can easily be removed and put back to stock if need be.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hardbones
I haven't done my exhaust yet but throw some Strano or UMI springs, Strano sway bars and strut/shocks of your choosing. Made one hell of a difference in the way my car handles.
All of that stuff can easily be removed and put back to stock if need be.
I would like to do that as well, some nice suspension and new struts and springs. My only concern would be how do I store stock suspension? Is it best to compress the strut while storing?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red04montels
I would like to do that as well, some nice suspension and new struts and springs. My only concern would be how do I store stock suspension? Is it best to compress the strut while storing?
My new ones had these plastic straps holding them compressed so I reused them on my stock ones when I put them into storage.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Launching!

My new ones had these plastic straps holding them compressed so I reused them on my stock ones when I put them into storage.
That's exactly what I was thinking, perfect!

Any idea of the best spot to buy the exhaust stuff at? I was going to wait until Black Friday to order, but are there even that good of sales on Black Friday for f-body parts?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put magnaflow catback on my car, great price, all stainless, not to loud and the tips look great. There was a vendor on here selling them for about $600 a while back, normally sells for about $725 or so.
Watch the vendor forums, the people on here throw out great deals all the time.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Launching!

I put magnaflow catback on my car, great price, all stainless, not to loud and the tips look great. There was a vendor on here selling them for about $600 a while back, normally sells for about $725 or so.
Sounds good, I've been on the site for a long time, just don't post and never really bought anything.

I want the LMII, I think with cats it will keep the rasp down and sound good and if it's not loud enough, I'll throw the LM1 on.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the vendor forums.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Congrats on the car purchase. What color is it? Look forward to some pics when you get it
Old 07-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to say that your choice in catback is bad but actually I think it's ok. If you want it louder you can change it to LM I like you mentioned and if you want it more quiet you can always add the Powerflo conversion. Even with cats it is probably going to drone a little bit though. In my opinion both LM bullets are low quality pieces of crap.

I would consider different options first.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

+1 for the magnaflow catback. I have that on my car and I think it sounds great.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roidz24
Congrats on the car purchase. What color is it? Look forward to some pics when you get it
Thanks! I'm waiting on the appraisal actually, which is today and then if it goes well I will be putting the money down on Sunday.

It is Silver as well. I have some pics that I'll try and post later.

Originally Posted by Fourth-Gen Man
I was going to say that your choice in catback is bad but actually I think it's ok. If you want it louder you can change it to LM I like you mentioned and if you want it more quiet you can always add the Powerflo conversion. Even with cats it is probably going to drone a little bit though. In my opinion both LM bullets are low quality pieces of crap.

I would consider different options first.
I have also heard that people put in Magnaflow and Borla bullets? That's kind of why I'm liking this catback is it is very easily interchangeable. I've liked what I've heard for SLP on LS1's, LS3's and such, so I think it will be good.

My current car drones a bit, so it's something that I've gotten used to, at least with the WS6 and proper tips the noise will be pushed to the back. Currently my noise gets stuck right under the trunk and carries into the cabin.

Originally Posted by imprtkillr2810
+1 for the magnaflow catback. I have that on my car and I think it sounds great.
I would do this if I didn't want the 4" corsa clones, the magnaflow catback price with the quad tips (to get the pipe all the way to the back bumper) is super expensive and doesn't leave much opportunity to change anything.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

The WS6 store has pretty good prices on exhausts.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nathan C
The WS6 store has pretty good prices on exhausts.
They seem to be about average with everyone else, I was looking at Texas Speed as well. I'll have to keep an eye out in the vendors section along with waiting until Black Friday won't be a terrible idea. That way the car's in storage and I can work on it or mod it right away come Spring.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's for show, save and get the Corsa catback. The tips do look better than clones, minus the corsa name on it...

I also wouldn't recommend any loudmouth catback with headers, even if it's a M6.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
If it's for show, save and get the Corsa catback. The tips do look better than clones, minus the corsa name on it...

I also wouldn't recommend any loudmouth catback with headers, even if it's a M6.
If you tuck them correctly on the bumper it's pretty hard to tell a difference from what I've seen.

Why not to the lm with headers? Why not with cats?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you tuck them correctly on the bumper it's pretty hard to tell a difference from what I've seen.

Why not to the lm with headers? Why not with cats?
I think there's too much rasp - especially when revving, if you'll be doing that at shows. I personally think there's better options if going with headers. Maybe texas speed or something.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also heard that people put in Magnaflow and Borla bullets? That's kind of why I'm liking this catback is it is very easily interchangeable. I've liked what I've heard for SLP on LS1's, LS3's and such, so I think it will be good.

My current car drones a bit, so it's something that I've gotten used to, at least with the WS6 and proper tips the noise will be pushed to the back. Currently my noise gets stuck right under the trunk and carries into the cabin.

Yes you can change them out pretty easily. If you put a Borla XR-1 in there it makes a huge difference. I have the Powerflo on my car and the drone was awful until I threw out the LMII and put the XR-1 in it's place. Now it's amazing.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fourth-Gen Man
Yes you can change them out pretty easily. If you put a Borla XR-1 in there it makes a huge difference. I have the Powerflo on my car and the drone was awful until I threw out the LMII and put the XR-1 in it's place. Now it's amazing.
This is what I'm thinking I may do, go with the LMII, pick up a LM1, XR-1, Magnaflow bullet, etc.

Then I'll have total control with a cheap stainless catback.

XR-1 and Magnafow with the rest being SLP, I've heard can keep the rasp down and you can get some really good sound out of them.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am WS6