Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

02 WS6-Hard time starting in Cooler Weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 WS6-Hard time starting in Cooler Weather

I have an 02 WS6 M6 with 78K miles. Only engine mods are ported and polished TB and SLP lid. My problem is, I go out in the morning about 6am to start it and its around 60 degrees and I turn it to start, I have to hold it there for 10-15 seconds before it fires up. Then no problems after that. Now, I can do the same thing, but around 1pm when its 90 degrees outside and it will fire up quick with no problems. The only difference in the two senarios is outside temp. What I have done so far with no improvements are: new battery, new starter, checked what I can see of wires, replaced all fuses and relays that deal with ignition and starting. Tried both keys. I don't know, maybe the ignition switch or the VATS has something to do with it? It seems to be temperature tempermental! Help, I don't want to go to the stealership! Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Teching In

I don't think it would be the ignition switch. As you say, your car is being "temperature temperamental" so I would suspect it would be more along the lines of the fuel being colder and not getting into the cylinder as quick. But at 60degrees I wouldn't think that would be the problem either. Nor would electrical strike me as being the issue at hand. If you haven't changed oil in a while you could give that a shot. I'm thinking the car just needs a little tune up. That's all. If spark plugs are stock you could look into replacing those as well as checking the wires. You could check fuel filter and air filter and make sure they are clean as this might hurt the start if they are dirty. Hopefully this helps!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
I don't think it would be the ignition switch. As you say, your car is being "temperature temperamental" so I would suspect it would be more along the lines of the fuel being colder and not getting into the cylinder as quick. But at 60degrees I wouldn't think that would be the problem either. Nor would electrical strike me as being the issue at hand. If you haven't changed oil in a while you could give that a shot. I'm thinking the car just needs a little tune up. That's all. If spark plugs are stock you could look into replacing those as well as checking the wires. You could check fuel filter and air filter and make sure they are clean as this might hurt the start if they are dirty. Hopefully this helps!
This has been happening for almost a year now. Oil was just changed 2 weeks ago. Fuel filter and air filter were also changed not to long ago. I have not checked the spark plugs or wires. I believe they are stock still. I have checked the voltage to the starter via the ignition wire during the hottest part of the day, which was 106 and got the 12 volts with the key turned to start. I went out the next morning at 6am and it was 60 degrees and still got the 12 volts when the key is turned to start. So I know when I turn it to start, the starter is getting the 12 volts, but it still won't turn over for 10-15 seconds in the morning.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Teching In

I guess I should clarify, does it seem like the car is cranking slower than usual or is it that it just wont start for that 10-15 seconds?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Its not a slow cranking problem. I have no cranking at all for the 10-15 seconds, then it will crank fine and start. Weird symptoms!!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What type of oil do you use and what area do you live in?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jayfire
Its not a slow cranking problem. I have no cranking at all for the 10-15 seconds, then it will crank fine and start. Weird symptoms!!
Oh yea. Completely different from what I thought you were saying. I know you checked the wire by the ignition for power but did you check at the starter?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
What type of oil do you use and what area do you live in?
I use Mobil full synthetic 5-30w. I live in Dayton NV, one hour southeast of Reno.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
Oh yea. Completely different from what I thought you were saying. I know you checked the wire by the ignition for power but did you check at the starter?
That I have not tried. Not much room up in there. I will try using an alligator clip wire on the starter lead on the starter so it hangs enough to hook up my meter and test. Update on another observation, started the car this morning, took 10 seconds to fire, drove it for 15 min to work, shut it off and tried to restart and still has the delay but only 3 seconds now. It was up to operating temp too.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Save the manuals!

This is really odd. I'm wondering if your starter relay may be going bad. (Maybe it's sticking and needs a few seconds to heat up or break free to make contact.) When you turn the key to start the car, all the dash lights come on as normal, right?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Teching In

This is really odd. I'm wondering if your starter relay may be going bad. (Maybe it's sticking and needs a few seconds to heat up or break free to make contact.) When you turn the key to start the car, all the dash lights come on as normal, right?
I have replaced all the relays already. Even put the piece of foam under the cover to make sure the relay was pushed in nice and tight. When I turn the key in the morning cool hours, it does have a very short delay before all the dash lights and dings come on, then hold the key for 10 seconds before the starter engages. Everything is completely normal if I go out at noon and try starting it for the first time that day. I get the dash lights immediately, and starter engages immediately. I know this is some weird stuff going on. I have everyone around here stumped!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Save the manuals!

The good thing - this is repeatable.

It sounds like something is sticking or not connecting and is heating up as power is applied to the ignition circuit.

I wonder if its the starter solenoid? I'd suggest putting a tester on the starter to see if it's getting power when you turn the key but the engine isn't cranking. If there's no power there, then you may need to start tracing the circuit.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Teching In

The good thing - this is repeatable.

It sounds like something is sticking or not connecting and is heating up as power is applied to the ignition circuit.

I wonder if its the starter solenoid? I'd suggest putting a tester on the starter to see if it's getting power when you turn the key but the engine isn't cranking. If there's no power there, then you may need to start tracing the circuit.
That is next on my list! I did put a tester on the ignition wire going to the starter, but not attached to the starter and checked for voltage with key turned to start and I did get 12 volts. I did this in the afternoon and replicated it in the cool morning hours and nothing changed, still get 12 volts when key is turned to start position.

Quick Reply: 02 WS6-Hard time starting in Cooler Weather