Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

98 Formula Joining IN "Dookie Bird"

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Formula Joining IN "Dookie Bird"

What's going on everyone!

I picked up the DookieBird a month ago, I have done some things to change her up. ZR1 wheels 275/315 555 tires, Strano/Koni, Founders panhard LCA, LCARB, 1 3/4 LT ORY, 3in Cutout, SLP lid. I have some questions in regards to maintenance and if it's running optimal.

My average water temp at cruise (70mph) is 210-215 I feel like this is too high? I have tried researching about it and found information about an air duct that directs the air to the radiator, im not sure if mine is missing or not, can someone provide me with a picture of the location and part #?

Gauge Cluster; my water temp, voltage, and oil pressure seems to be FUBAR'd they are stuck in their current location on the dash. I was thinking replacing the whole cluster would be simpler. I picked up a cluster but the wiring seems to be wrong (99-02) Lesson learned there. Do I have to get a LS1 98 cluster or can the V6 cluster work?

4L60E; This bastard trans is giving me a hard time. while stock she shifted fine 1-2 WOT and struggled 2-3 (Tapped rev limiter) now with the current modifications and tires I tap the rev limiter a few times at 1-2 and 2-3, but 2-3 doesn't shift at WOT. Regular driving and she shifts perfectly fine 1-2-3-D.

I will try a transmission flush and see if the oil is gunking it up. Another option is two swap out the servos with an upgraded version.

I did pick up a 4L80E with 100K out of a 2500 van. I have located the yoke I needed and which trans mount to get. The issue I seem to face is the fact that I am running a 98 computer. Has there been a discovery on getting the 98 ECM to control the 4L80E? I heard to use a 99+ I need to get a new wiring harness, my gauge cluster wouldnt work, and other crap needs to change. This is why I am kind of leary to change it right away.

Future plan is to get an LQ4/H/C; I am looking to get around 450rwhp
Old 07-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Welcome to the site. I'd suggest posting your questions in separate threads in the General Maintenance, Stereo & Electronics, and Transmission sections. You should get a lot more feedback that way. I'd also slow down on the cluster thing until you confirm the cause. It could be a number of things - even a fuse.

BTW - Have you purchased a license plate yet? I may not be up on the modern lingo, but when I look up "dookie," I find this:

ˈdo͞okē : brown pasty substance from one's *******

Is this what you are after?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your car is running hot at 70MPH. My car with a stock thermostat runs 185-187 at those speeds. The wind deflector is a long black piece under the car, and is the lowest point of the car up front. It directs wind straight up to the radiator. Here's a pic of it http://www.pfyc.com/mm5/graphics/new/fb1016.jpg
Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

She got named Dookie bird because of the craptastic peeling chrome wheels on the car.

JB, don't think I have that. Thanks for the reference.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by FLiP726
She got named Dookie bird because of the craptastic peeling chrome wheels on the car.
You can't leave us hanging like that without posting a pic! Are these stock wheels? (If so, I'm particularly interested as I've been in a chrome vs. painted debate with my better half.)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Pics are on my phone, I was trying to figure out how to use ICloud but... i suck with technology. They were aftermarket 16x7. Previous owner tried plastidip on them, but peeled off. I replaced them with a stagger ZR1 wheels.

BEFORE

AFTER

Fastest track time, 3rd was missing. I let off and slowly back to WOT to shift it. I was trapping 85 when 3rd wouldnt shift.
Untitled

Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by FLiP726
Pics are on my phone, I was trying to figure out how to use ICloud but... i suck with technology. They were aftermarket 16x7. Previous owner tried plastidip on them, but peeled off. I replaced them with a stagger ZR1 wheels.
Wow! Those were indeed very interesting wheels. I really like the replacements. Now that you have the new wheels, I guess the car's name/stigma will stick with it. (My car's did also.)

Nice ride!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, just about. I want to get her in tip top shape when I get back to town, 2 weeks in MS for training.

Quick Reply: 98 Formula Joining IN "Dookie Bird"