Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

driver window motor new and not working correctly? also name of window tab?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default driver window motor new and not working correctly? also name of window tab?

1998 trans am

I decided to tackle the window motor replacement job today.
following the sticky its removal is pretty easy however I ran into an issue during installation.
the motor I recieved turns freely however when I push the gear together the motor still runs but the gear isnt moving? is the gear suppose to stop moving when theres too much resistance? yet keeps the motor moving?

Im thinking of holding the gear with pliers and turn the motor on should I be able to hold the gear and hear the motor turning or should I not be able to hear the motor turning(stopped)?

second question relates to the tab that holds the window in place(stopper?) there is two stopper at the top one of those broke, does parts store sells them? i cant seem to find their part number.

and how do I remove the guides without removing the regulator? the guide with the plastic roller broke(common problem it seems) im thinking of welding it back but cant find a write up on how to remove it from the window.

any insight would be great thank you.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

I think the window tab you're talking about is the felt window guide. Ecklers and Classic Industries sells that part.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LS325ci
is the gear suppose to stop moving when theres too much resistance?
Yes. When this happens, the circuitry in the motor heats up and there is a thermal cutoff switch inside that should cut power to the motor when this happens.

BTW - Adjusting the window guides is a bit tricky. shbox has a great tutorial on how to do this when you get your new ones in.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks i got it all fixed. the NEW motor was shot. the gears is suppose to spin when you hear the motor spinning. exchanged it under warranty.

and thanks for the part name. I needed that clip.

Quick Reply: driver window motor new and not working correctly? also name of window tab?