Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing

I thought I would update on what I've done to the Firebird. The first thing was my passenger speaker started rattling terribly so I thought I would replace it. I decided to just buy a used one on ebay, cause I didn't feel like replacing all the speaker. Overall I found it easy to replace. The hardest part is getting the door lock to clip on the metal rod for the lock mechanism. Now it sounds decent enough with out all the rattles.

Then I figured I should replace the air filter and might as well go with a K and N drop in filter. What a hunk of SH**. The rubber is super thin and flexible, even with weather stripping it doesn't seal tight in the box. It's only and inch tall vs 1.5 inches for a regular filter. So if you don't line it up and carefully close the lid it fall down into the tray leaving an opening for dirt to come in. I installed 2 layers of weather striping to the lid and still didn't like the way it it seated. I decided to return it and get a regular Wix filter, so I can sleep better knowing the LS1 breaths clean air. That was much thicker and fills the whole depth of the tray and seals better. And I honestly couldn't notice the difference in power of oil vs paper filters. Maybe on a DYNO there is a marginal difference, but the seat of my pants feeling can't tell one form the other. Oh and did I mention the K and N is so thin and flimsy light shins through it like a furnace filter. If you have a K and N filter I would open your box and check to see if your MAF screen has debris on it. If it does I would toss the K and N in the garbage and get a "normal" filter. Not worth the risk of engine damage.

Then today I got bored so I decided to wash the car.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing-img_0791.jpg   1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing-img_0801.jpg   1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing-img_0813.jpg   1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing-img_0814.jpg   1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing-img_0818.jpg  

1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing-img_0815.jpg   1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing-img_0809.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Pretty Formula! Black is a pain to keep clean.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

thanks, I know its hard to keep clean. I takes a couples passes with a microfiber towel and some quick detailer to get the "smudges" off and it still looks dirty in 5 minutes. If you have a black car you know what I mean
Old 02-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Looks nice!

Originally Posted by McGinnis
I decided to return it and get a regular Wix filter, so I can sleep better knowing the LS1 breaths clean air.
And you can sleep even better knowing that you won't have the notorious horse power-robbing MAF fouling issue that comes with the oil shedding off the K&N filter.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

The K and N just doesn't fit cause its junky. The regular filter rests along the outer edge of the bottom of the intake box and the top is supported by the lip that holds it up tight against the lid. The K and N just sits on the top lip and is so rubbery, it just flexes and does not sit properly. Getting you MAF oily is just an added perk. I shined a flashlight through the K and N and almost all the light went right through. A paper filter just had a soft glow of light through it. K and N was too cheap to properly design a thicker rubber edge and taller pleats to the filter. They just took a "universal" filter and included a piece of weather striping to cure their problem. For $65 drop in filter it should't need layers of weatherstripping to fit in a car it's "designed" for. Well that's the end of my rant
Old 02-04-2015, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn I wish my seats were in that kind of shape.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I too wish my seats looked like that
Old 02-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McGinnis
thanks, I know its hard to keep clean. I takes a couples passes with a microfiber towel and some quick detailer to get the "smudges" off and it still looks dirty in 5 minutes. If you have a black car you know what I mean

Looks Great,

and yes I know what you mean.

Quick Reply: 1999 Firebird Maintenance and Detailing