Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Trans Am Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am Issues

Hello all,

I started having troubles with my Trans Am two days ago. She has lost a lot of power and is very hesitant on accelerating, seems she is sputtering a lot. The check engine light came on, then started to blink and then back to solid. I got her home, parked her and started her the next day. Though, since it snowed I wasn't able to go anywhere. Surprisingly enough though, she wasn't hesitating for the short amount of time I was trying to move her. Well, today I started her up and the hesitation and sputtering returned.

It seems she runs fine idling, anything that has to deal with accelerating she sputters like crazy and then backfires a little. She starts right up with no problems either. I put this gas I've never tried before in her, honestly she started acting like this when it got to that gas in the tank. (I say that because I put the new gas in when she was half-full, now she's at a half tank again and this problem began.)

So, I want to get her looked at and the engine code read, but I can't move her and really just afraid to. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not completely sure but this sounds like what happened when I had my 97 bird. The sparkplug wires were sitting on the intake manifold and getting too hot causing a shortage thus misfiring. All I did was buy new wires and redirect the wires so they didn't touch the intake anymore and that solved it so that might be something to look into.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go get or borrow a OBD II scanner, it will take all the guess work out of what your CEL means, you can get them for about $50 these days.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Flashing SES light = misfire.

Get your codes read first thing.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech PJ!

When is the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

When is the last time this car got a tune up? Wires, plugs, filters, etc?

Last edited by Paul Bell; 02-28-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I got the codes read. And here they are! So I am going to give her a tune up, new plugs and wires and a new fuel filter.

Guessing the O2 sensor only triggered because of the misfire.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am Issues