Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

have you checked the fuse for that side headlight?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea.. i checked the fuse and it was good...and there isnt any sounds comin from the motor...so i guess its the motor?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

take of the connector going to the motor and have someone turn on/off the headlights and see if you have voltage (using a vom) if you have +12 its time for a new motor.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
take of the connector going to the motor and have someone turn on/off the headlights and see if you have voltage (using a vom) if you have +12 its time for a new motor.
or... take the connector off the headlamp control module, fine the two pins that control the passenger side, one is a ground and the other power...run two wires from those pins, one to ground, the other just tap a 12 volt source (positive battery terminal), if the motor pops up, than you have a bad control module...if it doesnt, switch the wires around and try it again...if it still doesnt work, than you'll have to go to the connector at the motor and do what was said above to condem the motor itself...hope this helps...goodluck.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Teching In

u wont be believe this ****...i was just messin around lookin at the headlight motor, just tryin to figure out whats wrong with the headlight..and i just flipped the switch and out of no where it started to work. I tried it several more times and it still is workin.. I guess it was a pinched wire or something. thank god cause tomorrow i was gonna take the motor out..
Old 01-30-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

check for some corrosion in the connector
Old 02-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Teching In

yea i spoke to soon...it failed on me last night..checkin for corrosion today
Old 02-08-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

any updates?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Teching In

its gotta be a loose wire. its been workin for awhile now. lol but as soon as i got the one to work..my other bulb blew out
Old 02-09-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

damn!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Launching!

i did this on both my headlights today. but found a faster way. if you raise the headlight and remove the headlight bezel. then remove the motor shaft retaining nut (probably the rustiest one lol). !do not remove the actuator arm! lower the headlight. remove the 2 hinge bolts they are torques heads with 10 mm nut on them. have someone hold the loose light assembly up while you raise the light assembly. use a flat head screwdriver to pry the actuator arm off of the motor shaft. remove the headlight assembly. use the manual *** that raises the headlight to turn the gear 180 degrees. put it back together in reverse order. this shortcut is not for those that are not use to trying the faster way. i just did this to save time but it worked really good.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Teching In

im still havin problems with my headlight...when i raise it myself and wiggle the wires around the headlight works... but after a day or so it stops workin again. Could it be anything else besides the connections. And if its the connection how do i change it and where can i buy it
Old 02-27-2006, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got so sick of dealing with headlight problems, that I got a conversion kit for my car.
I think it looks better, and I haven't had any problems in the tree years I've onwed this kit.
Attached Thumbnails Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE-boris-launching.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Motion.Picture (10-25-2020)
Old 03-19-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how long do these headlight motors usually last?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackbirdls1
how long do these headlight motors usually last?
Which ones the stockers or the brass ones?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

just wanted to say thanks for the "quick fix" tip. i had that grinding headlight problem when it went down so i turned the gear 180 degrees (did this about a month ago) and it's worked perfectly ever since. hopefully it'll last for a while.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

WD40 is fine and works great. Don't worry about rust. Its not that serious of a worry to only spray 2 spots. If it wanted to rust, it would be by now.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Default headlight headache

I have a 1982 Recaro Trans Am. My headlights will go down just fine but they wont go up at all. If my motors work to close them but not to open them, can my motors still be bad? I have changed the headlight isolation relay but nothing changed.
Anyone had this problem before?

Teebird
Old 05-21-2006, 12:27 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teebird
I have a 1982 Recaro Trans Am. My headlights will go down just fine but they wont go up at all. If my motors work to close them but not to open them, can my motors still be bad? I have changed the headlight isolation relay but nothing changed.
Anyone had this problem before?

Teebird
Hm. Have you seen the 3rd-gen section at the bottom of bfranker's page? http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

That may not be what your problem is, but thought it's worth a look...

3rd Gen Headlight Fix
1982 to 1992 Firebirds and Trans Ams

The bad news for you 3rd generation Firebird guys (1982-1992) is that I won't be offering brass gears for you guys. Now, the good news is that 99.9% of the problems associated with headlight problems for you guys is NOT related to the nylon gear failure! You guys are fortunate in that your problem can likely be fixed with less than a buck's worth of supplies from a common place such as Home Depot or any hardware store.
In the 4th gens, the shaft which turns to raise and lower the headlight is connected to the gear via a rubber piece which sets in the gear itself or, in the case of my brass gears with no rubber, the shaft is actually connected via tabs to the brass gear. In the 3rd generation Firebirds, this actual physical connection doesn't exist. Instead, in each light are located three hard "pucks". These pucks provide the mechanical connection between the nylon gear and the shaft which raises or lowers the headlight. Over time, these pucks will actually disintegrate into small granules and dust! The very good news for you guys is these pucks are nothing special. You can use just about anything you can get your hands on that is the proper size and will fit in the areas these three pucks "used" to be located at. I recommend using a thick rubber hose or tubing of the proper diameter and length (1/2" outside diameter and about 1/2" in length) but I have heard of one guy who didn't want to go out and buy anything but had a hot glue stick laying around so sliced off some pieces of that instead! I don't recommend that though since I don't know how long the glue stick will last in there Instead, slice three 1/2" pieces off your hose/tubing and drop them in place where your pucks used to be located. Once you do this you can put your light back together and you'll be good to go! Total cost for this fix is about $0.12 or there abouts
Old 06-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Default headlight problem

I have an 01 trans am...when I engauge or disengauge keyless entry headlights come up then down and make a roaring noise . The noise only comes from left headlight drivers side? Both lights come up though! Any idea? Is it the same thing I am seeing here about gears?
Thanks,
Tiffany

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE