Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohh ok i got it now! Thanks bro
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default help please

I have read through as much as I can and I tried replacing the motor checked the fuses and swapped the headlight module out and I still can not get the drivers side light to come up and down its lit but doesn't move. Does any one know what I should look for now.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is power getting to the motor?
Check the connectors under the headlights. They get corroded.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I checked the connection w a volt meter and had my dad turn the lights on and off and never saw any power to the end of the connector that you plug the motor into. I think it was 5 prongs
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Don't quote me, but I think the 5 wires are positive to high beam, low beam and ground for the bulbs then the other 2 are positive and negative for the motor that gets switched depending on which way the motor should turn.

It sounds like a more in-depth electrical problem that I can handle cuz all my motors and stuff are long gone. I'll try though.

So you say the left motor works, but not the right?

Try checking the right side fuse with a multimeter or swap the left and right side fuse just to make sure a blown fuse not the problem. sometimes they can blow, but look fine.

If that's not it, pull both fuses and see if power is going to both fuse sockets. They might be hot all the time or maybe just right after turning on the lights. If the right side fuse sockets get no power (and the left one does) you'll need to look under the fuse box because they both get power from the same wire.

If both fuse sockets do get power then I think it's something with the headlight brain by the fuse boxes. Are those 2 big plugs all clean or corroded? Did you say you swapped it already?

I know you said there was no power going to the motor, but make sure the motor is not bound up. Turn the manual **** until the motor is moving freely. This is just to cover all bases.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-02-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Both hdl door fuses have their own orange wire coming from it. I bet that those are the same 2 orange wires going to the 5 pin connector on the headlight brain module.

See if the fuses have power, if so, then see if those 2 wires I mentioned above also have power to them at the brain box.

Yep, the right side door fuse goes to the orange wire on the end of the 5 pin connector. The left side to the other orange wire. They should both be hot at all times.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-02-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nvrstsfd23
I have read through as much as I can and I tried replacing the motor checked the fuses and swapped the headlight module out and I still can not get the drivers side light to come up and down its lit but doesn't move. Does any one know what I should look for now.
Since your lights work, but the motor doesn't do jack, I'd almost bet that the plug itself was bad. I had the exact same problem on both sides. All lights worked, and both motors didn't. One side, BOTH plugs needed to be replaced. The other side, it was only the wiring harness side and not the end that goes to the motor/headlight. Likely one or both pins are screwed up somehow. On mine, one was physically broken on one side and the plug it went into was water damage and a broken pin and the other was corroded from water damage. Looked okish, but it was bad and broke off when I was replacing the plug.

If it is the plug, it is very easy to replace, and I've posted the AC Delco part numbers for both plug ends in another post. I think it's even in THIS sticky that I posted it. I did not clip off the extremely long wiring that came with the new plugs as it gives me a boat load of room to deal with the plugs in the future. A bit of wire loom and it looks all nice again.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Launching!

I cannot find one thread about replacing the headlight motor. Do I have to take apart the whole headlight asembly? This is such a PITA! How do u people with big arms and hands fit a ******* wrench under the headlights to the bolts on the motor! No wonder Pontiac got canned.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^gear wrench is your friend
Old 04-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Ya I spent 90$ on my open end set but hey it's my only set.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Launching!

100$ for the motor?! Holy crap that's insane!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Ok so I bought a new motor. After I took the other one off I noticed I slight kncking sound comming from the other motor. Not like a stripped gear just a little knock that's constant untill I unhook the battery. The I realized that the privious owner did some Jerry rigging. The connectors on the actual headlight on the pass. Side face like this, - -
the ones on the driverside are l l
so someone decided to splice in two different connectors and a home made ground. It looks like the old connectors had corrosion so they probably didn't want to fix it the right way. So should I just resplice and put new plugs on for the headlamps?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Anyone? No one looks at this sticky don't make me
start a thread...
Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the original harness is still there just cut it off and resplice everything. As noted in the first post the harness develops heavy corrosion.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

On my 2002 WS6, the passenger headlight is dimmed to the point of being barely lit. The odd thing is, when i switch to high beams, it turns off completley.
Also, theres a lot of flickering so alternator causing the problem or just a part of it?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

The quickest way to swap the motor is to remove the 2 bolts than the headlight pivot on. You need an torx head socket and a long extension. Then a 10mm ratching wrench will make quick work of the motor bolts. The headlight cover stays in place, but the plastic shroud has to come off.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by High_Angle
On my 2002 WS6, the passenger headlight is dimmed to the point of being barely lit. The odd thing is, when i switch to high beams, it turns off completley.
Also, theres a lot of flickering so alternator causing the problem or just a part of it?
What does your volt meter say?

The headlight bulb wires are seperate from the motors. Their wires go thriough the headlight switch. Are the drivers side lights brighter?
I'd check the plugs that go on the back of the bulbs. They get corroded often. If they are, then the easeist fix is to cut the connector off and crimp on some insulated female spade connectors.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Launching!

I dont know if this has been answered before, I read through alot of it but may have missed it. About 2 months ago I put on the mods in my sig and disconnected my battery. When I had everything put back together, I went for a drive that night and went to turn on the headlights only to find out the passenger side came up but not the driver side. So I manually ran the light up, then shut the lights back off and it worked fine. I guess it reset it or something.

Now, last week I diconnected my again to clean up the tray under the coolant tank since its rusting. Got everything put back together, went to turn the lights on and now the driverside comes up, but the pass dont. So I tried running it up manually like I did the ds thinking it would reset it too. Nope, doesnt do anything. It turns on but wont move up or down. So I just left it up and trying to figure out what the hell is goin on with them.
I never had a prob with my lights before, It only happens when I unhook the battery that I have probs with them going up and down.

Any suggestoins?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check that the headlight cover isn't hitting the hood. Also check the linkage, it may be binding.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Launching!

The cover isnt hitting the hood. When I run it up manually, it does just fine. The linkage isnt binding either, I tried moving the light up and down by hand but nothing

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE