Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Did you end up replacing your seals or going with the ones that came with the motor?

Even though, I replaced mine, I'm afraid to look. I'm not sure this type of connector was ever a good choice for the wet location. If I have corrosion again next time I'm messing with the motors, I might go to something different.
I didn't replace them, I just went with them. Maybe I should this time, luckily RockAuto warrantied the parts.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys I have headlight motor problem. So the passenger side headlight started popping up and down and making the grinding noise. So I replaced the gear with the an aluminum gear and installed everything today. BUT the headlight still pops up and down like before. Just the grinding noise is gone since I have the new metal gear install. Anyone come across this problem?? HELP

Also headlights pop up when the switch is turned to the parking light position. Shouldn't they stay down and only pop up when the switch is turned to the full headlight position. Does that mean the switch is bad?

Last edited by MRMonster; 05-28-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You did the gears on both sides of the car, right?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

You did the gears on both sides of the car, right?
No just the one. The other headlight isn't working at all but I am pretty sure its the harness because the lights flick on and off when I jiggle the connection point. Right now I was fixing one side at a time. You think since the other side isn't working that is causing a problem?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MRMonster
No just the one. The other headlight isn't working at all but I am pretty sure its the harness because the lights flick on and off when I jiggle the connection point. Right now I was fixing one side at a time. You think since the other side isn't working that is causing a problem?
If both are bad You must fix both.
And while you working on your headlights check the harness and the big connector under each headlight - they are know to corrode a lot.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vikingramair
If both are bad You must fix both.
And while you working on your headlights check the harness and the big connector under each headlight - they are know to corrode a lot.
That is the part I am going to check next. I just don't get how they both affect each other. If I pull the fuse on one headlight the other should work like normal, right?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I got myself a 98 TA and after replacing those gears I have a new problem. Electrically everything is fine but, the headlights only pop up about half an inch when switched on. If someone holds them open slightly when the switch is thrown they will pop up with no issue. Bumpers are in place and ok. Just seems like somehow the linkage has too much play or too much angle to the linkage. Almost seems like it is having to push straight up on the back of the door with its initial movement. This going to end up turning into replacing the headlight linkage?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Jrock3rdGEN
So, I got myself a 98 TA and after replacing those gears I have a new problem. Electrically everything is fine but, the headlights only pop up about half an inch when switched on. If someone holds them open slightly when the switch is thrown they will pop up with no issue. Bumpers are in place and ok. Just seems like somehow the linkage has too much play or too much angle to the linkage. Almost seems like it is having to push straight up on the back of the door with its initial movement. This going to end up turning into replacing the headlight linkage?
If the problem is on both sides, than you must have done something that is causing binding when you put the units back together. Each side works independently, so I'd think the problem is systematic and has something to do with the install.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jrock3rdGEN
Tried to pop up manually? any binding , resistance when doing this?
If i remember correctly 1 of the 3 screws holding motor in place is inserted from opposite side.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by vikingramair
Tried to pop up manually? any binding , resistance when doing this?
If i remember correctly 1 of the 3 screws holding motor in place is inserted from opposite side.
Great point. If those motor screws are in backwards, they will bind on the linkage.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:32 PM

Hello just changed headlight motor in a 95 Trans Am now here is the problem 1 goes up and the other goes down. Can't seem to get them together. What's the secret? Tried all different settings???
Old 06-06-2015, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pam Patterson
Hello just changed headlight motor in a 95 Trans Am now here is the problem 1 goes up and the other goes down. Can't seem to get them together. What's the secret? Tried all different settings???
Check this first - wires to motor,there backward
Old 06-06-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. If you are sure that the arm is on correctly, your motor could be wired backwards. That's an easy fix. Just use a paper clip to dislodge the red and black motor wires from the connector and reverse them. You should be able to compare the connectors on both sides of the car. The red and black wires should be in the same positions since the part number is identical for either side.

+1

Just spent most of the day trying to figure this out until I saw this post.
I returned the first motor because it was doing the opposite (up when suppose to be off and down with lights on when headlights turned on). I thought it was defective. The 2nd one was doing the same thing, so I switched the wires going to the motor and works like a charm! Although on the passenger side it was brown and green wires and not red and black like the driver's side.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Hey fellas my car is a 98 trans an and I was wondering if a headlight motor from a 93-97 lt1 car will fit my 98? Or atleast will the gear inside the motor interchange? Thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2015, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7beast
Hey fellas my car is a 98 trans an and I was wondering if a headlight motor from a 93-97 lt1 car will fit my 98? Or atleast will the gear inside the motor interchange? Thanks in advance
Checked Rockauto site and received different part number on LT1 / LS1 motor.

Gear seems to be same.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:40 PM

Hi Folks,

I have a crazy one for you. Just replaced my drivers side headlight motor for at least the third time (they only last about six months). This time the motor only spins when the arm is disconnected. I can turn the headlight up fine manually after disconnecting. Tried to spray the connector under headlight for corrosion as well as the two controllers on driver side under hood.

Any ideas what I should try?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Default spoiler lite

I have a 2000 trans am. cant find an 8.5 inch spoiler lite lens. red
Old 06-29-2015, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Default Headlight gear went out

1999 WS6 M6

So I don't know if it's just bad timing or if somehow my new remote start messed up my headlights. I got an Autopage remote start installed on my car last week and about two days later my drivers side headlight began making the dreaded grinding noise after closing.

Now every time I hit the unlock/lock/remote start my car the head lights pop up and down, then grind. Today was my first day off since the incident started happening so I went out to do the ol "gear flip" in hopes that would fix it. I went through the process, turned the motor 180 degrees, linked everything back together and BOOM, still makes the grinding noise.

I've only owned the car for about 6 months so odds are in this cars 16 year life someone else could have done this trick before me but I don't know. Before I go ordering the brass gear, is there anything else I should check that would be preventing the headlight from normal operation causing this terrible grinding noise? Is this any sort of symptom that the motor itself is almost shot?

Last edited by KStornadoes; 06-29-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by KStornadoes
Before I go ordering the brass gear
Before you order metal gears, you should be aware that:
- Metal gears can break also.
- The motor is often the issue leading to the problem - not the gears.
- The motor tab problem is best serviced by getting new motors.
- Not all metal gears are created equal.

This thread has more information on the above: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ght-doors.html
Old 06-29-2015, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Before you order metal gears, you should be aware that:
- Metal gears can break also.
- The motor is often the issue leading to the problem - not the gears.
- The motor tab problem is best serviced by getting new motors.
- Not all metal gears are created equal.

This thread has more information on the above: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ght-doors.html
180'd the gear. No luck, same issue. Had a hell of a time disassembling and reassembling the headlight. Got the new gear in and it did the same grinding noise. Now it does it when the light goes up AND when the light goes down. It functions just has the loud annoying grind. This a symptom of a bad motor perhaps?

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE