Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

02 ws6 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 ws6 wont start

Help!!! Unresolved still..
02 ws6 manual won't start. It's been in storage and untouched for the past 4 years. The battery was on a trickle charger and looks good (even tried jumping it too). I removed the starter and had it tested and it worked fine. When I try turning it over I hear maybe one click and nothing, it doesn't crank, try to crank or anything. Like I said one click and that's it. It has power on the inside and radio and everything. Not sure what to do now. Security system?? I've tried both sets of keys. I did have the main cable that goes from the battery to starter changed just over 4 years ago due to corrosion, but it worked fine after. Any ideas? Thanks!!
So it was at a shop and they did jump start it and it was running fine. I don't remember if there were any lights up on the dash. (I was more interested in getting it loaded on the trailer and back home with me as I had moved and was waiting till winter was over to bring it home.) not sure if they jumped it or what but if they arced it with a screw driver they would have known the starter wasn't bad. So it was running for like 20 minutes and I drove it onto the trailer.

Update, put the starter back in after being bench tested (at advanced auto where they said it was good) tried to start and same thing, one click. Put a jumper box on the positive and negative to the block and tried, one click and nothing. Lights didn't dim, stereo worked fine as did everything else. Dash said check gauges and service engine soon. Oh and I had the key in the ignition in the off position all day. Tried swapping the starter and ignition relays under the hood and same thing one click nothing. OBD reader didn't report any faults, I don't know if the shop I was at had already cleared any, but none came up when I tried with mine.
I tried moving the shifter around as I started and clutch in and out. The only difference was with the clutch out nothing but if I pushed it in while I had the key turned over I got the one click, and if pushed the clutch in and out with the key turned it would click every time the clutch when in. But no crank.
Please help!!

Last edited by mjmurphy; 03-23-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the starter and injector relays, drivers side beside the rad? I have had many issues with this, relays and poor contacts in the sockets! You could also check the Vehicle Anti Theft with a scanner?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Neutral safety switch? My car will do this sometimes and moving the shifter around, or sometimes trying to start it in neutral will work.

I got a new switch, so hopefully that'll cure the issue.

Quick Reply: 02 ws6 wont start