Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1998 Trans Am project

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Trans Am project

I picked up this car about 2 weeks ago. Standard T/A with LS1, A4, t-tops, leather seats, ect. It is 100% bone stock and was owned by a middle aged woman since 2000. I've always wanted one of these cars, and after 10 years of driving I finally have one.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

This is my first ever performance car, so I'm taking things a step at a time. I have a few things I need to fix on the car before I start modifying anything. This needs to be a daily driver for now, so I'm not doing anything too radical. I'm thinking intake, headers, exhaust, tune, wheels/tires, brakes, suspension, sub frame connectors, and strut tower brace will be a good start. I'm doing research trying to decide what brands/products to go with. Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Machine
This is my first ever performance car, so I'm taking things a step at a time. I have a few things I need to fix on the car before I start modifying anything. This needs to be a daily driver for now, so I'm not doing anything too radical. I'm thinking intake, headers, exhaust, tune, wheels/tires, brakes, suspension, sub frame connectors, and strut tower brace will be a good start. I'm doing research trying to decide what brands/products to go with. Any input is appreciated.
What are you looking to do with the car (drag race, handling, just a fun street car etc.) and what aspects are you looking to change (traction, handling, feel, ride quality etc.).
You need to answer those before you buy anything. - There are a lot of parts out there that will improve one aspect, buy greatly hurt another, you need to decide your priorities.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with JD...this guy always makes sense and will give you expert advice on how you can build your new T/A
Old 04-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What are you looking to do with the car (drag race, handling, just a fun street car etc.) and what aspects are you looking to change (traction, handling, feel, ride quality etc.).
You need to answer those before you buy anything. - There are a lot of parts out there that will improve one aspect, buy greatly hurt another, you need to decide your priorities.
I want it to be mainly a street car, but I would like to eventually run it at the drag strip for fun as well. I'm not looking to put a roll bar in it right now, so I don't want it to be TOO fast. Good street manners are the #1 priority, if it can also make a decent pass at the strip that's a bonus.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exhaust, lid and 3.73's. Plus a good cleaning.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Exhaust, lid and 3.73's. Plus a good cleaning.
I was thinking of going with the SLP lid and Loudmouth 2 cat back. I'd also like to do the long tube headers with cats and y pipe, but I'm not sure when I'll have time for that as it looks like a big job.

I've been getting mixed reviews about the 7.5 10 bolt on this forum. Some think it's ok for an automatic, others think it isn't worth it if you are looking for more power over stock. My car has the 2.73 gears, so I figure anything will be an upgrade over those. Would 3.73s in a 10 bolt be ok for mostly street driving? Would it hold up if I take the car to the drag strip a few times a year?

I know the car needs a good cleaning and wax. It's literally been raining every other day since I got the car, so the only cleaning I've had time to do is going through the car wash at the dealership I work at. Any recommendations for what wax to use?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mad Machine
I was thinking of going with the SLP lid and Loudmouth 2 cat back. I'd also like to do the long tube headers with cats and y pipe, but I'm not sure when I'll have time for that as it looks like a big job.

I've been getting mixed reviews about the 7.5 10 bolt on this forum. Some think it's ok for an automatic, others think it isn't worth it if you are looking for more power over stock. My car has the 2.73 gears, so I figure anything will be an upgrade over those. Would 3.73s in a 10 bolt be ok for mostly street driving? Would it hold up if I take the car to the drag strip a few times a year?

I know the car needs a good cleaning and wax. It's literally been raining every other day since I got the car, so the only cleaning I've had time to do is going through the car wash at the dealership I work at. Any recommendations for what wax to use?
Well your paint looks a bit faded. But I use Colinite 845 Sealant with Meguiars Carnauba Plus Wax. Swapping exhaust isn't terrible, But putting the headers on sucks, but LT's are worth it in the end. I have 4.10s in my stock 10 bolt and my buddy has 3.73s in his stock 10 bolt as well. They are fine if you are looking for a street car. You run into issues when you make more power with sticky tires. But if it's for street use, shouldn't be too bad.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

A couple minor updates.

The throttle position sensor took a crap, throwing a code and causing the car to idle rough and shift VERY hard. Replaced the part, cleared the code, no more problems.

I replaced the passenger side window motor which was bad when I bought the car. The hardest part was figuring out where to drill the holes in the door. Google search to the rescue. The screws the motor came with were not long enough for the top hole. I tried to use just the bottom screws, but the motor kept binding up as it was slightly out of alignment. I had to go to several hardware stores to find the right length and pitch screw. Now it opens and closes smoother then the drivers side.

Both DRL sockets were bad; the connections were corroded and had poor wiring splices from a previous repair. It took several parts runs due to only one socket being in stock and being given the wrong bulbs. Now I have front turn signals.

I replaced the serpentine and A/C belts as they were very cracked. If they weren't the original belts they sure were close.

I replaced the spark plugs and wires that likely were original. I had to go to two parts stores before finding a full set in any brand. I guess they don't bother stocking plugs for LS1s? I had to settle for Autolite XP104 "Fine Wire" plugs. Surprising, Pep Boys had a set of MSD Super Conductor wires on the shelf so I bought those also. As expected, plug installation SUCKED. That's not a job I want to do again anytime soon.

Next on my list is a four wheel brake job and new wheels and tires. I'm going with 17 inch ZR1 replica wheels. Not stock but not too aftermarket looking either. Tires will be 275/40R17 all around.

I need an upper dash panel as the original is cracked and broken. It seems like everyone wants around $500 for them. Any better deals out there?

The power radio antenna is bent. Anyone sell a stock style replacement?

The A/C is blowing warm. Not a big deal as I can evacuate and recharge the system at work and check for leaks. Besides, I have t-tops and it's almost warm enough to take them off.

Once all of those are fixed I'll be ready to start with modifications. I can't wait!

Last edited by Mad Machine; 05-24-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are needing new wheels and brakes, might look into the CTS-v brembo brakes. They are a decent price, they look great and perform great. As far as the dash pad, you can find them cheap at a junk yard. If I were you, I would just pull a broken one and piece it back together as a project. Would end up cheaper since most people want an arm and a leg for them. My antenna broke, I said screw it and don't use the radio and just stream from my phone lol. My ac has a leak in it, but I would rather sweat a bit with the tops off than have the ac going!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to see someone doing some preventative maintenance for once instead of just chasing horsepower. Don't forget to change out all the fluids/filters and cleaning out you're MAF and throttle body, I was surprised how much better my car ran with all that gunk off the MAF sensors. Top all that off with running a can of seafoam though a quarter tank of gas.

What mods you plan on doing first?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Founders Performance has good inexpensive suspension parts. If you can't find a replacement dash, you can find carpeted dash mats for around $50. For replica wheels and tires check out OE Wheels. Good looking TA!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

TAKE HIS ADVICE!!!!!

i would focus on getting a good shock/spring combo for what you want to do with the car.

I also agree with tipnity that the paint could use a little TLC, a good polish and wax will likely amaze you. It does look like it was well taken care of though.

Congrats on getting what you wanted though, its a good feeling
Old 06-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Another minor update. Picked up front pads, rotors and calipers from Pep Boys today. Decided I wanted to dress up the brakes a bit for when I put the new wheels on, so I also got some brake caliper spray paint. The rain held off long enough for the paint to dry.

One can is enough to paint 4-6 calipers

Before.

After. Turned out much better then I expected. I also painted the other side after letting them dry for an hour but forgot to take a picture.

I'll try to install the brakes tomorrow night after work.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

looks like a good start..
Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

So much for doing brakes tonight. The parts store gave me all wrong parts. Wrong pads, wrong rotors, wrong calipers. WTF!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Finally got the correct brake parts. Apparently the girl at the counter looked up parts for a Trans Sport, not a Trans Am...

One of my rusted and warped rotors. Pedal had a BAD pulsation.

Really? Both rotors had the original factory clips on them. Either the previous owner only had pad slaps done or an on car lathe was used. Either way, these 17 year old rotors need to GO!

Ah, much better. The caliper paint is nearly the same shade as the car.

The paint started coming off on this side when I installed it. Oh well, I'll touch it up later.

I still need to do rear brakes, but the car already stops much better with no more pulsation. I'll do the rears next week.

The stock 16'' wheels are in pretty poor shape, so no brake shots with the wheels on yet. I will be getting 17'' ZR1 wheels soon and will post wheel and brake shots then.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Rear brakes are done. New pads, rotors and calipers. I also used the brake fluid exchange machine to flush out all the old fluid. Forgot to take pictures. No more pedal pulsation and brake noise. Next on the to do list is new wheels and tires. I'll be ordering them soon.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

My ZR1 wheels from OE Wheels came today. They shipped much faster then expected. As an added bonus, the wheels were on sale. The tires are ordered and on their way from Tire Rack. I can't wait to put them on the car.

Ah, shiny.

I would like to replace the chrome center caps with ones that have a Pontiac logo. Does anyone know if these will fit?

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...rts/g4967.html
Old 06-27-2015, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Looks good man !

Quick Reply: 1998 Trans Am project