Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2002 ws6 do and donts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 ws6 do and donts

New to site,
Currently got the 315s on the back.
This year and model already has ls6 intake and I hear it's pretty darn good for the engine.

Header and y pipe set up that's not too expensive? Obviously ground clearance is an issue. Anybody find a good set up that's not too much?

Slp Flo pac kit and jaam air kit compatible together?

And then finally
I cannot find a cam set up for this car that has jumped out at me or been recommended enough to notice one in particular. I just want to wake up the motor, I don't need a full blown timing chain lifters springs and everything. Is there a cam swap out there that just literally swaps the cam only?

Thanks to all and anyone who can shed some light on this thanks.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Speed engineering has a nice header system with a y pipe for $379, thats about as cheap as you're going to get . That is the price for the 1-7/8 primaries on the headers dont waste your time with the 1-3/4 the larger primaries will make more power everywhere even on a stock motor and especially on a larger one.

For an exhaust a good 3" catback would be fine for bolt ons or you can ditch the y pip on the headers cutting the price down and put that towards a set of true duals.

I speak for a lot on here when I say the only thing good from SLP is their lids, everything else largely under-performs or performs the same as other parts for a much higher price. A magnaflow catback is all stainless, has good performance and is around 400 new.

If you're looing for a ram air that will actually provide noticeable gains go check out the SSRA or CHRIS1313 ac version.

And no any time you swap the cam you need to upgrade certain things. The springs on the ls1 are adequate for the stock cam only. At a min to do a cam swap correctly you'll need Springs, Pushrods, Cam, gaskets, fluids, dyno tune, and preferably an oil pump and a new timing chain. In parts plan for at least 1000 then another 500 for a tune.

If that's too much for now then I recommend just doing the bolt ons first and see where you stand.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by redbird555
Speed engineering has a nice header system with a y pipe for $379, thats about as cheap as you're going to get . That is the price for the 1-7/8 primaries on the headers dont waste your time with the 1-3/4 the larger primaries will make more power everywhere even on a stock motor and especially on a larger one.

For an exhaust a good 3" catback would be fine for bolt ons or you can ditch the y pip on the headers cutting the price down and put that towards a set of true duals.

I speak for a lot on here when I say the only thing good from SLP is their lids, everything else largely under-performs or performs the same as other parts for a much higher price. A magnaflow catback is all stainless, has good performance and is around 400 new.

If you're looing for a ram air that will actually provide noticeable gains go check out the SSRA or CHRIS1313 ac version.

And no any time you swap the cam you need to upgrade certain things. The springs on the ls1 are adequate for the stock cam only. At a min to do a cam swap correctly you'll need Springs, Pushrods, Cam, gaskets, fluids, dyno tune, and preferably an oil pump and a new timing chain. In parts plan for at least 1000 then another 500 for a tune.

If that's too much for now then I recommend just doing the bolt ons first and see where you stand.
Ok I will look into what you have recommended thanks a bunch
Cheers
Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Whatever you do, do not put a K&N or other oiled air filter on this car or... you'll be sorry.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by wssix99
Whatever you do, do not put a K&N or other oiled air filter on this car or... you'll be sorry.
What's the issue here?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by transbam02ws6
What's the issue here?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o-talking.html
Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by transbam02ws6
What's the issue here?
Just do a search and you'll learn all about them.

No reason to do this unless you race. Gaining a fraction of a hp for the maintenance, grief, and damage that the air filters cause doesn't seem to pay off on a normal car. BTW - I don't believe that people can "feel" the difference one bit. (Unless the feeling comes from driving with a thinner wallet padding ones butt.)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do a search and you'll learn all about them.

No reason to do this unless you race. Gaining a fraction of a hp for the maintenance, grief, and damage that the air filters cause doesn't seem to pay off on a normal car. BTW - I don't believe that people can "feel" the difference one bit. (Unless the feeling comes from driving with a thinner wallet padding ones butt.)
LOL, you must really hate K&N. I have ran one for 30,000 miles and never had any of the above mentioned happen to me.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
That's for the K@N intake which is restrictive. The filter alone is not restrictive at all.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The main issue with K & N air filters is user caused, people simply over oil them. When you first pull the brand new filter out of the box it has this nice orange color throughout.

So when people clean the filter they spray enough oil on it to make it look like it just came out of the box. That is way too much oil. Right before the new filter is boxed at the factory a thin application of oil is sprayed on. Then after a few days or weeks in the box that oil migrates through the rest of the batting resulting in the orange color. A light spray on the air intake side and none on the MAF side is the way to do it. But everyone wants a completely orange filter and that is too much oil. The amount of oil that looks right is usually too much.

If you regularly clean your K & N, say 3 times per year, and watch and clean your MAF sensor wires, a K & N can work just fine.

Just my input, not wanting to start a debate. This subject can turn into one of those "what oil should I use?" discussions.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ghardester
The main issue with K & N air filters is user caused, people simply over oil them. When you first pull the brand new filter out of the box it has this nice orange color throughout.

So when people clean the filter they spray enough oil on it to make it look like it just came out of the box. That is way too much oil. Right before the new filter is boxed at the factory a thin application of oil is sprayed on. Then after a few days or weeks in the box that oil migrates through the rest of the batting resulting in the orange color. A light spray on the air intake side and none on the MAF side is the way to do it. But everyone wants a completely orange filter and that is too much oil. The amount of oil that looks right is usually too much.

If you regularly clean your K & N, say 3 times per year, and watch and clean your MAF sensor wires, a K & N can work just fine.

Just my input, not wanting to start a debate. This subject can turn into one of those "what oil should I use?" discussions.
Some people know how to clean and oil properly but most don't
Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 Slow WS6
That's for the K@N intake which is restrictive. The filter alone is not restrictive at all.
Seeing he has a trans am, I'm throwing this out there to educate the op. Isn't that why we are all members? To learn from each other
Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Save the manuals!

I have ran one for 30,000 miles and never had any of the above mentioned happen to me.

LOL, you must really hate K&N.
I don't hate them. (I hate prostate exams.) For K&N, I merely have a strong dislike and distrust for them. It would be one thing if they shut up about this problem or at least acknowledged the issue. The fact that they are trying to cover up the issue (and NOT honor their warranty) makes them a fair target for disdain. (http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm)

If I was in a situation where buying an oiled air filter was appropriate, I'd choose any other brand over K&N. (AEM, Green, etc.)

Originally Posted by ghardester
The main issue with K & N air filters is user caused, people simply over oil them.
This is what K&N would have us believe and what they sprinkle their Kool-Aid with. According to GM, many other members, and my personal experience - the filters foul the MAF right out of the box.

They will tell us anything so we'll compliantly lay back so they can shoot their oily wad in our faces. (Or our engines, anyway.)

That being said, I'm sure ambient conditions have something to do with the severity of this. The oil should shed easier in hot environments and I'd also think that it would be more prone to foul the MAF faster when its cold and the oil is stickier.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Seeing he has a trans am, I'm throwing this out there to educate the op. Isn't that why we are all members? To learn from each other
I agree. i was just making sure the OP knew the difference

I don't hate them. (I hate prostate exams.) For K&N, I merely have a strong dislike and distrust for them. It would be one thing if they shut up about this problem or at least acknowledged the issue. The fact that they are trying to cover up the issue (and NOT honor their warranty) makes them a fair target for disdain. (http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm)

If I was in a situation where buying an oiled air filter was appropriate, I'd choose any other brand over K&N. (AEM, Green, etc.)

This is what K&N would have us believe and what they sprinkle their Kool-Aid with. According to GM, many other members, and my personal experience - the filters foul the MAF right out of the box.

They will tell us anything so we'll compliantly lay back so they can shoot their oily wad in our faces. (Or our engines, anyway.)

That being said, I'm sure ambient conditions have something to do with the severity of this. The oil should shed easier in hot environments and I'd also think that it would be more prone to foul the MAF faster when its cold and the oil is stickier.
I agree that can happen from using to much oil in my humble opinion That meme gave me a good laugh, heard yodas voice as i read it.

Quick Reply: 2002 ws6 do and donts