Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Power lumbar/side bolsters issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power lumbar/side bolsters issue

I just purchased my 1999 trans am ws6 six speed 4 days ago and I absolutely adore it. However there is one major issue that causes daily discomfort. The power lumbar and side bolster controls for the drivers side are somehow activating the passenger sides adjustable seats. As it sits the driver seat has so little support I put a pillow in the lower portion to support me so it's comfortable for my commute. Please advise if anyone knows a solutions to this issue, thank you.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Strange, does the pass side control activate driver seat?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Tho should probably be discussed in the Stereo & Electronics section. There will be some good looks there. I wonder if this might be a mod by the P.O.?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

This may or may not be a correct diagnosis in your case, but here's what I experienced with the factory, unmodified, 2002-model, power-adjustable Trans Am seats that I swapped into my 2002 Camaro:

Despite the fact that I properly installed the seats and connected the seat wiring correctly (I triple-checked), when I first tried to adjust the lumbar and side-bolster supports on the driver seat, I was unpleasantly surprised to hear what sounded like sounds coming from the passenger seat.

After a lot of experimentation and investigation, I found that — at least in my set-up — the compressors/inflators seem to be located in the passenger seat, as that's where the noise (along with what appears to be an air-supply tube) were/are coming from.

At first, I thought that my driver's seat wasn't adjusting, because I had held the buttons in the "deflate" position so long that all of the air went out of my seat, it needed more time to refill than I expected. And, since the sounds of operation were coming from the opposite seat, I thought that they weren't inflating at all.

Once I got over the disorienting sound origin, and gave my driver's seat air bladders time to properly inflate, I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything was copacetic, and that both my driver's seat and passenger's seat air bladders were all working properly.

I wonder if your car's seats are exhibiting the same symptoms that mine did/do, and that you've simply deflated your driver's seat air bladders so much that they need time to fill?

And, maybe I've just got a weird setup.

(Does anyone else's set of power-adjustable seats seem to act the way that mine do?)

Good luck with your seats — I really enjoy mine!
Old 06-24-2015, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

the compressors/inflators seem to be located in the passenger seat - Correct

( Passenger seat below in the picture, black box is the module handling this)

Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

the compressor and brain module i guess you would call it are under the passenger but the unit actually draws power from the driver seat as part of the harness that connects the to switches for the driver seat.

If I understand what your problem correctly your driver side buttons control the passenger side seat. Do the passenger side control the driver side? When you hit the button for the driver side does the motor come on and thats why you think it controls the passenger side (since its under the seat).

you may have a ruptured air hose leading to the seat, or a common problem with the air pump setups is people leaving them to full during a hot day and the air expanding at bursting the badder inside. you could be a victim of this. Would need to know more about whats going on, but at first read and having to install one of these systems without the oe harness and having to make my own. You may just think that the controls on the driver seat are activating the passenger seat because thats where the motor and pump are, but it may not actually be filling the passenger seat bolsters at all.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
the compressor and brain module i guess you would call it are under the passenger but the unit actually draws power from the driver seat as part of the harness that connects the to switches for the driver seat.

If I understand what your problem correctly your driver side buttons control the passenger side seat. Do the passenger side control the driver side? When you hit the button for the driver side does the motor come on and thats why you think it controls the passenger side (since its under the seat).

you may have a ruptured air hose leading to the seat, or a common problem with the air pump setups is people leaving them to full during a hot day and the air expanding at bursting the badder inside. you could be a victim of this. Would need to know more about whats going on, but at first read and having to install one of these systems without the oe harness and having to make my own. You may just think that the controls on the driver seat are activating the passenger seat because thats where the motor and pump are, but it may not actually be filling the passenger seat bolsters at all.
When I hit the two switches on the left side of the drivers seat I hear and can feel the passenger seats adjusting. The passenger side controls its respective seat.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you know if the oe harness is being used or if someone re wired it?

The switch wiring could be wrong.

The other assumption is there maybe an internal baffle to divert air between driver/passenger that is malfunctioning. Like a blend door on an a/c system.

Wiring of the driver switches I can help ya with , internals of the pump not so much.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:46 PM
Teching In

As far as I know the car is 100% bone stock 1999 WS6 TA. I'll take a look at the wiring and maybe take some pics to extrapolate what's going wrong tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Dterminator09
When I hit the two switches on the left side of the drivers seat I hear and can feel the passenger seats adjusting.
Are you sure that the passenger seat is adjusting? Or, could you be hearing the pump work? (since its under the passenger set for both sides)

I always assumed the system was independent with each seat - so the pictures/descriptions above are very interesting.

I will give 100 bonus points to the first person who writes up a mod for this system, which inflates/deflates a blow-up doll from the bolster controls. (for defeating HOV restrictions...)
Old 06-26-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

that would be pretty easy actually, but you you would need to use one of the switches for the driver seat or relocate one of the passenger seats haha. But it would be pretty simple, the only thing is it might take quite a while to blow it up haha

I installed this setup in a firebird, and refused to pay for the harness so I went to a stereo shop and lowes bought some clear hose and brass barbs and used a 9 core stereo wire for the harness and wired it myself.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28RS

I wonder if your car's seats are exhibiting the same symptoms that mine did/do, and that you've simply deflated your driver's seat air bladders so much that they need time to fill?

And, maybe I've just got a weird setup.

(Does anyone else's set of power-adjustable seats seem to act the way that mine do?)

Good luck with your seats — I really enjoy mine!
Yup I have the same problem, never got around to looking into it. I hear the passenger side go off when I use the drivers seat controls and the passenger seats do inflate when I use there controls. So maybe I'm just not allowing enough time for the driver side to fill up or I have a broken hose somewhere. Anyways I'll test it out tonight when it cools down so I can go for a drive. Thanks for the info
Old 06-26-2015, 05:44 PM
Save the manuals!

I assume there is one pump for both sides, then? I wonder if there is a selector or valve that can go bad and fail to only channel air to the passenger side?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Thank you everyone for your advice, I managed to get the driver seat working again and what a difference. I don't leave the car and immediately do some back stretches anymore.
All I did was replug the black wires together and after awhile it started working both side bolsters and lumbar functions.

Quick Reply: Power lumbar/side bolsters issue