Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Buying a rebuilt title Trans am?

Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a rebuilt title Trans am?

So I was looking to buy this 2000 Pontiac Trans am m6 with 50,000 miles for $5500 but it has a rebuilt title? Should I get or avoid it? Are there problems with buying a rebuilt title car? What should I look out for? He said it crashed on a high curb and bent the lower radiator support which caused the airbags to go off...
Old 07-19-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I think it's at least worth taking a look at. Take it for a drive and make sure it's solid and drives straight. I don't think a salvage title should necessarily scare people away in my opinion. Just know what your buying and know the history. That's a damn good price.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you don't plan on reselling the car take a look at it. Like the above post it's not a bad price if it drives like a normal car.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:26 AM
TECH Addict

it all depends on who did the repairs, I've owned a honda accord that was a salvage title and it ran fine for years till I sold it, would be great if you could get pics of how badly damaged it was before they fixed it, then you could crawl under there and look at the fix. if the repairs are done by a competent shop with the right tools then there should be no issues with it, they just aren't worth as much in resale. I think the 06 Lexus IS250 my brother got a month or so back is a rebuilt title and he's done a thousand mile road trip on it already with no issues, we did have to clearance the rear quarter (that appears to have been replaced) at the lip of the tire to stop rubbing the tire because the kid he bought it from slammed it with 2" drop springs and the patch seam of the quarter stuck ino the wheel well further then it should (like .25 inch), best would be if an alignment shop could look at it, that will tell you the most, if one wheel has a radically different caster then the other side while camber and toe are good that could cause handling issues and odd tire wear and I would probably stay away from it because it could suggest the front "frame rails" (unibody) is bent in a way that might not be easily visible to the naked eye.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I would never recommend a 'bad' title car to a family member or close friend. The reasons are too numerous, never mind the re-sale negative. Many 'bad' title cars are simply money pits. Be careful!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Teching In

I think Im going to pass of this one, because it's about a 5 hour drive... Anyways there's a few ls1 camaros in my price range that are closer.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

exactly if you want to keep the car i would go look at it. In my family we have bought plenty of rebuilt title cars. The key thing is to drive them all and check them over everywhere. pull the carpet back where the accident occurred, get the car on a lift if you can etc. My dads yukon is an 03 with a rebuilt title and its been great. the repair was done right and unless i told you there is no way to tell the car was ever hit.

I have seen some bad ones though, frames still bent, odo turned back, electrical problems etc. the key is to just look them over. cars can be totaled for a lot of things so it doesnt mean it was in a horrific crash
Old 07-22-2015, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The things cars get totaled for these days is just ridiculous more than half are just cosmetic body repairs. I would say if your plan is to keep a car buying the RIGHT "r" title car is honestly the best route. You get it cheap and as long as it was nothing major the repairs should be evident and easy to evaluate. Definately if buying ensure the owner has before pictures and fully documentation of repair the guys that do are the ones you want to buy from....the ones that don't are not even worth bothering to drive and see in my honest opinion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a rebuilt title Trans am?