Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Salvage Title Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage Title Build

I came across a CL add a while back for a 2002 Black M6 WS6 with 24,XXX miles. Down side was that it had a salvaged title due to a theft and collision. I had seen the car go up and down on CL over several months for various prices. Last month I took a flyer on it and purchased it for $6000. After looking/driving it I figured at the worst I would use the drive train in something else and part out or sell the body as roller. Monday I got the car over to a local body shop that I use and trust to assess the actual damage to the car. I bought it from a body shop owner that did some repairs but some things were not right on it. After assessing the damage with my guy and getting his option I have decided to use the car. The damage was not extensive at all and will only cost about $300 to fix. So....Im going to do a simple bolt on car. Here is what I bought:

The only gap on the car that looked bad was the front clip (you can see the gap in the first photo. They also did a hack job with the dash (clearly the airbags deployed). I located a good dash (good but not great) in CL for $60 so that is easy enough to fix. I am not a car collector and I am not some one who would try to pawn a previously salvaged car on someone for a profit so I thought, what the hell...roll with it. A/C blows cold, everything works fine, and it is bone stock.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

be sure and change the wheels too.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Launching!

LOL. They have been on CL and the classifieds for 3 weeks. What do you know.....not one call.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

nice grab! Looks like they put the front bumper back on without the impact absorber.

looks like a good car to tinker with though, congrats!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nomisbocaj
Seems like a great deal for 6 even with the damage. Oh yeah I would Change the wheels too lol.
Great deal considering the damage but it was a fair deal considering the title status. The fact of the matter is that no matter how much money I put into it....its always going to be a $6,000 car or less due to the salvage title. It will never bring money for that reason alone. If I ever sell it I'll likely have to part it out or if I am too lazy to do that just eat it.

Like I said though...I am not a car collector and I dont buy these things as investments so as long as it can be repaired to be safe for myself and other drivers on the road and look correct I am good with it. In this case that was possible for a reasonable price so Im gonna use it.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Here is where I am with parts so far. Doing it on a budget so the classifieds have been great:

Fast 92
NW 92 TB
GM 85mm MAF
42lb injectors and Speed Inc fuel rail
Magnaflow cat back

I took the konis and BMR springs off of my pewter car and put them on the black one.

Called Martin at Tick and got TF 220 as cast heads and a cam (235/243 .630/.610 11+2) with new timing set up, oil pump, etc....

Working on a deal for AR 1 7/8 headers and ORY.

Still need to source a clutch, Tick master, and a 9" (4.10). Ill likely use Founders for the rear suspension stuff and a TA.

Just going for a street car set up.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Salvage Title Build-img_20150809_174721.jpg

Got the car back from the body shop. All of the lines on the car now look correct. They are not perfect but way, way better. Started the tear down last night. I do have a question:

The airbag light is on. I had the shop check into it and they said it was a missing airbag module. I see that they run about $50 but i have no idea where it is located. I have to change the dash anyway as the one in this car aint all that great. Anyone know where that module is located?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:32 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The module for the air bag is around the base of the steering column if I remember correctly. The air bag electrical components are all bright yellow, so look for yellow wiring under the dash that isn't plugged in to anything.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
The module for the air bag is around the base of the steering column if I remember correctly. The air bag electrical components are all bright yellow, so look for yellow wiring under the dash that isn't plugged in to anything.
Thank you sir. I will hunt that down as soon as I am done with the engine. I bought a manual for the car but it makes not mention of it. I guess they dont really want you fooling with it.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I thought the air bag module was under the center console?
Old 08-18-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull console the airbag module is underneath it.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Pull console the airbag module is underneath it.
Did you buy this out of Texas? I think I called in the same car but was a day to late....to buy a WS6 with 24k miles is unheard of for $6k as long as you plan to keep the salvage title means pretty much nothing
Old 08-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Yep. Magnolia, TX. It had been up and down on CL at different prices. I sold my pewter car for a mint ( for an F body anyway). Didn't ever plan on selling that one but....everything is for sale for the right price. For what I sold that car for I bought this one, plus all of the parts listed in prior post. And your right....don't plan on selling it. I had the body shop I use check out the frame to make sure it was good to go and it was. Given those circumstances I do not care about the salvage title status.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Now I am wrestling in some poly motor mounts while its apart.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks like a good deal for $6000.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002Firehawk
That looks like a good deal for $6000.
So far so good. The only things that I have found wrong with it were what was stated or the obvious things that could be seen. Before I tore the top end of the motor down it ran great. The build is going well but slow due to work, kids, etc. Yesterday i got the poly mounts finished. That wasnt too bad with all of the stuff out of the way. It did take a few days as I was just picking at it in the evenings after work. I also got the new cam in, the old oil pump off, and the new valley cover on. I am also waiting on the Kent Moore tool to remove the factory crank sprocket so that I can install the Cloyes timing set. Once it comes in I will be able to button up the front of the motor.
Hoping to do a little bit more today. I have the rockers sitting in some Purple Power to clean them off so that I can get them set up with the trunion stuff. Slow and steady.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Default Uodate

Well, we had a small hiccup with order from Trickflow for the heads so still gonna have to wait another couple of weeks before they arrive. That puts me at a stopping point under the hood. Since I can go no further there until they arrive I went ahead and ordered a stage 2 monster clutch, slave cylinder, Tick adj. Master cylinder, and a new MGW shifter. Also got on the phone with Carl with CRP and got my narrowed S60 ordered with a new torque arm.

Shout out to Martin at Tick Performance and Carl at CRP. Both are great guys to work with and have a wealth of experience to share.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Take some pics if you haven't already. I think it adds some flavor to the post to see what you're done.

Next summer I'd like to tackle a head/cam swap.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002Firehawk
Take some pics if you haven't already. I think it adds some flavor to the post to see what you're done.

Next summer I'd like to tackle a head/cam swap.
Yeah, your right. I will try to get some up in the next couple of days. Between working and kiddos I havent had much time to get pictures up.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say you got a really good car for the price. Paid the same for my convert. and it needs much more cosmetically and has higher miles, but was never hit.
Really like how clean your interior is. Have fun, and post some more pics!

Quick Reply: Salvage Title Build