Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

TCS and ABS inop question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCS and ABS inop question

I did see only one thread on here, but it was dated back to 2009 and I had posted this question on a group that I am on and I am getting different feed backs on it.

2000 Pontiac Firehawk, recently new motor installed and has only 600 miles on it. Car had sat a year while waiting for new engine to be put back in.

I was driving the car the other day and noticed that the car had sort of a wobble/floating feel to it in the front end. Like you are driving on a bridge with grooves.
No lights were on at this time.

Then took the car out again later that evening, and both TCS and ABS inop lights came on as I was driving.
Nothing felt odd while braking.

Brought the car home. Waited about 2 hours, got in the car, and lights were off.
Backed out of the driveway, started to go down the street, under 5mph, applied brake because of down grade, and lights came on, and a vibration happened with the brakes. Like the ABS had kicked in.

I've gotten, wheel hub/bearing, sensors, tie rods and other suggestions, and nothing seems to add up.

I took a video of both front end wheels, 12 and 6, and 3-9 positions, but heck if I know what this all means.

I do not have a scanner tool that will read ABS or TCS and Advance or Autozone have a scanner for customers to borrow for this situation.

Any other suggestions or anyone that experienced this?

Videos of front wheels:

Attached Thumbnails TCS and ABS inop question-11988369_10205742500176659_5985271081905788667_n.jpg  
Old 09-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Betting on a bad ABS wheel sensor. They are built in to the front hub/ bearing assemblies. It looked like there was some slack in the front hubs from the video you posted.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

All consistent with a bad wheel speed sensor, but untill you scan the ABS system, you can only guess at the problem. Hopefully, the ABS codes will point you to the wheel that is off.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HerHawk
I do not have a scanner tool that will read ABS or TCS and Advance or Autozone have a scanner for customers to borrow for this situation.
If you've got one near you, try O'Reillys. The one near me had an ABS scanner to borrow that I used to scan my 01 Silverado.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Not sure if I want to drive it though. It felt odd when this happened.
Someone mention to remove the fuse for the ABS.
What are you thoughts on that?
And there are a few fuses, I believe for the ABS
Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Our son brought it to our mechanic shop. Code C0035 came up.
Now, is this something I can do to fix it?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Our son brought it to our mechanic shop. Code C0035 came up.
Now, is this something I can do to fix it?
Good news - this code is very descriptive and tells you the problem is with your front left wheel. (Not all codes are this helpful!)

http://engine-codes.com/c0035_chevrolet.html

This type of code can be due to a cut wire or an unplugged connector, but given your driveabilty problems, it is likely a serious problem with the front left wheel hub. (The wheel speed sensor throwing the code is integral to that part.)

It looks like its time for new hubs (typically, you do both the left and right together) and I would not drive the car until you are ready to get it fixed.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, we are going to change out the hubs, both sides, tie rods and bushings whenever my husband has the time to do it.
That is what I was wanting to know also, if the car is safe to drive.

Is the speed sensor part of the hub assembly? Meaning, when you buy it, does it all come together?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Is the speed sensor part of the hub assembly? Meaning, when you buy it, does it all come together?
Yes, it's probably 1/2 the cost of the part.

I would still check the wiring, just in case. You could have a simple unplugged/cut wire causing this. In that case, you can defer the hub replacement a bit and consider the car safe to drive for the time being.

I would assume it's not safe to drive if the wiring to the sensor looks OK. Normally, the bearings in the hubs will give you some warning/squealing when they start to wear - we'll before the speed sensor goes bad. If your sensor is damaged, I would assume that there is either abnormal wear/damage in the hub or excessive heat, etc. going on.

The hub is the only thing holding the wheel to the car - so I personally don't like to press my luck with them and don't skimp on this particular part. (I'd recommend going with a name brand bearing.)

Quick Reply: TCS and ABS inop question