Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Panicked once door panel off......pics posted

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Panicked once door panel off......pics posted

Ok so guys I've been gutting my 1995 Trans Am that I got 3 weeks ago. Complete interior re-do. Ordered the doorman window motors because the windows moved so slow up and down I figured it was time for replacements. Got the panels off and both sides saw evidence of someone being there before me! (After 20 years surely I'm the first to take the door panel off, right? lol)
So saw rivets that looked like were installed, previous ground out or something, I dont know. 2nd thing I noticed, everything behind the door was wet! The speaker, all the wires, everything. 3 rd thing was I started looking closer and the window on both sides wasn't even touching the outer rubber seal. There is a gap all the way down the length of the window...........so at least I know HOW the water is getting in.
So based on the pics.....
1- does it look like the entire window frame, channels etc have been replaced?
2 - is it possible the windows are slow because they are in a bind from shoddy work?
3 - There are 2 tabs on top of the door frame that have a felt looking pad that are adjustable.....looks like I can adjust these to "push" the window out more and against the seal to stop the leaks. Or should I use SHBOX method of adjusting?

One other thing....trying to give as much info as possible, there was busted glass on both sides inside each door as if both windows had been previously busted out.

Also those 2 adjustable tabs on the top of the door frame with the little felt pads........well on the drivers side one is broke off and there is no pad at all so i will definitely have to purchase one of those. Any idea on a name of the part?

ANY and all comments are welcome.......this is my first rodeo at 47 years old lol

Thanks in advance

Smoove

Looking from the end of the door, a gap on passenger side all the way to mirror

Looking down from the top on drivers side, a gap the entire length of window

WTH has someone done here?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out shbox.com, Rob has info on adjusting the window in his 'How To' section. The adjustable tabs are window stabilizers are p/n 10257988 and are available at the dealer or eBay, might check the junk yard too.
Don't be too concerned about water in your doors, it can't be helped make sure the drain holes in the bottom of the door are clear.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I noticed Shbox has 2 methods of adjusting the window in the outboard direction, one of which was the busted stabilizer on top of the door frame. Already ordered that part via Shbox parts list. Gonna go ahead and change the motors since I have them.
Noticed the window was going to far down and binding everything before it stopped. Shbox can help with that too.
Most of the drain holes were plugged off and the moisture barrier was missing from both doors. So that will be fixed before panels go back on too.
Again thanks for the reply.

Smoove
Old 09-22-2015, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I noticed Shbox has 2 methods of adjusting the window in the outboard direction, one of which was the busted stabilizer on top of the door frame. Already ordered that part via Shbox parts list. Gonna go ahead and change the motors since I have them.
Noticed the window was going to far down and binding everything before it stopped. Shbox can help with that too.
Most of the drain holes were plugged off and the moisture barrier was missing from both doors. So that will be fixed before panels go back on too.
Again thanks for the reply.

Smoove
Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

STEP AWAY FROM THE EDGE OF THE CLIFF. Everything will be OK. We'll help take care of you!

Originally Posted by Smoove
So saw rivets that looked like were installed, previous ground out or something, I dont know.
Before you go further with this, you'll want to read this thread and also use the shbox method for your door replacement. (Assuming the regulator rivets that you see there are correctly installed.)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

2nd thing I noticed, everything behind the door was wet! The speaker, all the wires, everything.
This is normal. The door is designed to be like this. This is why the vapor barrier you are missing is important.

3 rd thing was I started looking closer and the window on both sides wasn't even touching the outer rubber seal. There is a gap all the way down the length of the window...........
This normal-ish as that rubber gets old and stiff. (After 47 years, I'm sure you know how that goes...)

2 - is it possible the windows are slow because they are in a bind from shoddy work?
YES. Follow the shbox adjustment method when you get the new stabilizers. Proper adjustment could do a lot for you.

3 - There are 2 tabs on top of the door frame that have a felt looking pad that are adjustable.....looks like I can adjust these to "push" the window out more and against the seal to stop the leaks. Or should I use SHBOX method of adjusting?
Be careful. Those stabilizers don't do anything to seal the window to the weatherstripping. If you properly adjust them, per shbox, you'll see that they keep the glass away from the body weatherstripping so the glass doesn't drag on it. If you adjust those things to seal the glass on the weatherstripping, they won't seal on the body seals properly and the glass will bind.

If the outside weatherstripping bothers you, I understand that it needs to be replaced. I also recall that it's a PITA. (I have the same issue you do, but have not ventured to do the replacement, yet.)

Quick Reply: Panicked once door panel off......pics posted