Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

WTF?!?! No way it brings that kind of dough, right?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF?!?! No way it brings that kind of dough, right?!?

Well, it appears that my old T/A found its way into a used car lot. I haven't been able to get in touch with the guy I sold it to so not sure what happened there....but $21K!!! I'm thinking there is not a snowballs chance it brings that.

Counter to the posts suggestion, the car is not "mint" although it is very clean. The Carfax is clean but anyone with any knowledge about body work will be able to tell it was in a collision. The body work it good but there is evidence that the front quarter panel was pulled and the driver door jamb is missing its sticker. I am not sure what happened, it was like that when I bought it but clearly I didn't pay anywhere near $21K

Thoughts?

https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/5218833454.html
Old 10-06-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

You think they would at least push the power antenna completely down before posting that picture online. Otherwise it looks clean from the pictures.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Well, the power antenna went out a while back. I replaces it with that shorty. Gonna just have it shaved on my new one as the power antenna doesn't work on it either.

No doubt its clean but, come on, $21.9K....

I don't even think Pewter is a desired color on the TA and its certainly not a rare color. I see ultra low mileage CETA cars sometimes listed for crazy $$ but not a standard run of the mill WS6.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Launching!

This one's pretty sweet. Expensive for sure but looks like an awesome bird. It's been up on Houston CL for a while:

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5223040302.html
Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Haha....that dealer is dreaming. I doubt any bank would consider financing a 13 year old Trans Am for $22k, even banks that specialize in loans for special interest/collector type cars won't see that kind of value in a 47k mile 13 year old garden variety WS6. And anyone that has the ability to pay cash would probably know better than to overpay by such a huge amount. I guess they are hoping for someone ignorant/foolish and with plenty of money....every dealers' dream.

No worries, your old car will be there for your viewing pleasure for a VERY long time at that price. Possibly forever.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Haha....that dealer is dreaming. I doubt any bank would consider financing a 13 year old Trans Am for $22k, and anyone that has the ability to pay cash would probably know better than to overpay by such a huge amount. I guess they are hoping for someone ignorant/foolish and with plenty of money....every dealers' dream.

No worries, your old car will be there for your viewing pleasure for a VERY long time at that price. Possibly forever.
Yeah, I'm not really sure where they are pulling there values from. I checked their website and they have a few F-bodies for sale. All are WAYYYYY overpriced IMO. I get that a dealer is going to charge a bit more for a car that an individual but holy cow. That price just blew my mind.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all a marketing game with the dealership, especially on used cars.

The dealer slaps on a high asking price on the window, then they can offer discounts, and allow the buyer to "get a better deal" by negotiating a grand or 2 off.

Then the whole trade-in part comes in (if the buyer has a trade). The dealer can offer a "higher value for the old trade-in" to make it look like a better deal, when the bottom line it isn't.

100% Marketing.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Well the dealer lists the color as GOLD, that is enough to tell me he doesn't know what he is doing. Also how can he call it "mint" when it doesn't even have the right wheels, I mean if he is going for the collector market they would know those are the wrong wheels.

just typical marketing BS that is part of why I don't deal with dealerships.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold a CETA convertible, M6, with Kooks LTs, black C6 wheels, and a few other performance enhancing mods - all stock parts including wheels and tires - went with the deal. Car had 28k miles and was immaculate. I settled a shade under $20k. MAYBE I get $20k if I don't sell a convertible in October (in the Northeast) and wait until the spring - but I want to move on to a different automotive adventure (but still convertible). I don't think it will bring that. Buyers weren't banging at my door, but there were enough to know it would move if I were flexible on price.
Attached Thumbnails WTF?!?! No way it brings that kind of dough, right?!?-bbg.jpg  
Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
The dealer slaps on a high asking price on the window, then they can offer discounts, and allow the buyer to "get a better deal" by negotiating a grand or 2 off.
Yeah, except this example is quite a bit more than a grand or two off. They will have to come down several thousand dollars to find a buyer. Yes, dealers always start high, but this is just delusional for the specific car in question.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Also how can he call it "mint" when it doesn't even have the right wheels, I mean if he is going for the collector market they would know those are the wrong wheels.
"Mint" is a meaningless word. I see it everywhere, all the time, to describe anything from a "nice" car to something that is just shy of being junkyard ready. For the most part, when you read the word "mint" in an automotive ad, you might as well assume they actually mean "fair". If a car is truly exceptionally nice (#1 or #2+ condition) the owner will generally be familiar with what an actual show car looks like, and how to describe one, and will write a more comprehensive description rather than just a...."car is mint, look at the pics!"....type deal.

When inspecting cars that have been described as mint, and I find myself pointing out their issues to the owner, said owner usually gives some variation of the following explanation: "Well, it's not perfect but it's better than most of the others I see." That seems to be the new meaning of the word "mint".

Sorry for the rant, but I've looked at a lot of cars lately and I'm just fed up with how overstated the condition is on SO many examples.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Launching!

What about this one: https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5223040302.html

Anyone think it can bring 40 thousand bones?

I ain't got that kind of cash laying around for a toy but I don't know that I'd spend near $40K on ANY F-body. Part of the draw for me personally is that you can get them to go fast on the cheap-ish, you can wrench on them yourself with relative easy, and you don't see a ton of well taken care of examples rolling around.

This one ain't cheep and I wouldn't want to put a wrench to it so I wouldn't be a buyer anyway. Put to someone who is interested in collecting cars....maybe.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike TA
What about this one: https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5223040302.html

Anyone think it can bring 40 thousand bones?

I ain't got that kind of cash laying around for a toy but I don't know that I'd spend near $40K on ANY F-body. Part of the draw for me personally is that you can get them to go fast on the cheap-ish, you can wrench on them yourself with relative easy, and you don't see a ton of well taken care of examples rolling around.

This one ain't cheep and I wouldn't want to put a wrench to it so I wouldn't be a buyer anyway. Put to someone who is interested in collecting cars....maybe.
That appears to be a truly special car, assuming it's properly documented (that VIN would suggest that it definitely wasn't intended for sale to the general public.)

Personally I would want no part of it, the color and wheels are massive turn-offs to me and you can't start changing things on a car like that if you want it to stay special/valuable; a traditional 30th Anniversary package (white/blue) is far more attractive IMO. Having said that, to the right collector this very well might bring that kind of money.

I love 4th gens, I've owned four and bought two of them new, but if I was going to spend ~$40k on an F-body at this point it would be a top tier early 2nd gen Z28 or SS - not a 4th gen.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

That SEMA show car is a different beast. Not sure why it is on CL. That's a Hemmings type car.
As far as $22k asking price on the 47k miles WS6, who is even going to bother calling? How can you even start with a number so high? Never mind the insane description. Car buying is never easy and this is a prime example of what you have to deal with. It does get old, real old.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Launching!

That SEMA car looks really damn cool. I'd love to take a look at it. Not as an interested buyer but it would be cool to check it out.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LMAO....and its pewter / automatic! Good luck with that. Its a $12K car at best.

I have two red 02s WS6s with right at 30K miles I would take $18Kish for...$21K is crazy.

Quick Reply: WTF?!?! No way it brings that kind of dough, right?!?