Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What to look for when buying

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a 98-2002 Pontiac Firebird (I prefer the WS6) or Firehawk convertible and I was wondering what specifically I should look for and what questions to ask before I buy. I come from the mini truck world (I used to own 3 S10s - all stock) and don't know a lot about this generation cars. Any advice you could give a middle aged man would be valuable. Thanks.

- Eric
Old 10-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Launching!

A few things i'd ask about/check out:

-how bad the door sag is, not fun to fix if it needs it

-if the T-top/convertible top leaks

-if both headlights go up and down without noise

-and obviously, since these cars stock are rare, what's been done and how many miles on the mods
Old 10-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

A few thoughts...

-Firehawks come with optional SLP installed content. Check the inside of the passenger door, you will see a white sticker there that will list those. There is also an SLP installed sticker on the driver door.

-WS6's are popular, but don't discount a base model Trans Am. WS6 is really only a fancy hood, an expensive badge, an exhaust system, and wheels. You can often pick up a base Trans Am for a lot less, because they are less sought after, and customize it to your taste. If you are set on the OEM hood, you can buy a used one, or a reproduction.

-interior trim pieces in these cars are getting hard to come by, so take a close look at the interior (door panels in particular will crack at the top). No reproduction panels are available, and ones without cracks are getting more & more expensive. Have a look at the seatbelt loops, dashboard top, front seats etc.

-Firehawk chrome wheels were poor quality from the showroom. You will inevitably see peeling in the wheel barrels. A set of used Firehawk wheels can get really pricy, particularly if they are in great condition. If the car has the polished wheels, you can always get them chromed (a friend of mine did that).

-common issues with Firebirds in general are power window motors, and headlight actuators. Both are quite inexpensive replacements, and can be done by a moderately skilled owner. Once you have done the replacement of either/both (like me), the next time is super easy. And there will be a next time!

Overall, they are super fun cars (I've owned 2 Third Gens (1982-1992) and 2 Fourth Gens (1993-2002).

Good luck with your search!
Old 10-30-2015, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

$300 a motor isn't cheap... I would attempt to rebuild the motor before replacing it, they have kits for that (headlights)
Old 10-30-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Good advice posted thus far.
From a convertible owner standpoint, check all the rubber that meets the top. It should be soft and supple including the header on top of the windshield. If the rubber isn't in this condition, leaks are probably in your future. Make sure the top is actually cloth (Haartz material) and not aftermarket vinyl. Look for tears and check the threading by the rear glass window. Ask the owner if he has been treating the top with items such as RAGGTOPP which repels water and keeps it clean. Make sure the top operates smoothly and recesses properly in the rear boot area. A boot cover should also be included (3 plastic pieces). If not, expect to pay $300+ for a nice cover with the bag.
I've owned 'verts for many many years, from German models to my current two 'verts. None have needed top replacement or had any issues. That's the type convertible to buy, otherwise you are looking at $1,000+ to get the proper Haartz top with installation. Not the end of the world if you find the car you love but it can also tell you about the maintenance history of the car. A poor top may mean a poorly maintained car in general.
Good luck with your search. The nice ones probably won't be close by so expect to travel some weekend.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ask about the power window motors. Do they work? Have they been rwplaced? If so, ask who did it. My last firehawk had a chewed up inner door because the last owner did a butcher job on replacing the motor. Not a huge deal but still something to ask.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trevmust
$300 a motor isn't cheap... I would attempt to rebuild the motor before replacing it, they have kits for that (headlights)
I didn't even pay half that for a new OEM motor. If you look into the rebuild kits, the reviews are mixed. Both my motors have been replaced by new ones, and I have had no problems with them.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got my new motors from rockauto for $80 a piece and they have screws in the gear housing for it to be removed instead of just being sealed like OEM ones.

To get back on topic, OP, inspect the tail lights as well. Some 4th gen Firebids have a tendency to turn their tail lights into fish tanks. Spray the car down with water (since you should be checking for the t-tops to leak anyway) and see if they fill up or not.

Check out the power antenna. Its really common for those to have issues.

Front turn signal housings have a tendency to crack and allow moisture in which eventually damages the light sockets. Some people have reported success in combating this by drilling a tiny hole in the bottom of the housing.

Foglight housings tend to get melted because they're plastic and the bulbs get extremely hot.

The 99+ models tend to have issues with the paint on the sail panel. Check to see if those are present or if the owner has already dealt with it.

Everything else has been covered.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Teching In

One thing, ws6 those years came with a power steering cooler. They are known to go bad. There are posts on this site about it. Easy fix, most just remove it and bypass it. Just will need to flush both systems.

Originally Posted by BadAzzS10
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a 98-2002 Pontiac Firebird (I prefer the WS6) or Firehawk convertible and I was wondering what specifically I should look for and what questions to ask before I buy. I come from the mini truck world (I used to own 3 S10s - all stock) and don't know a lot about this generation cars. Any advice you could give a middle aged man would be valuable. Thanks.

- Eric

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying