Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Hood & Hatch Supports

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood & Hatch Supports

Ok guys, I have a bit of an annoying issue. When I bought my car, the trunk lift supports were shot, so I went and got some new ones, well two sets later and they've done it to me yet again. Granted I'm getting them from a junkyard, but still. This time I'm going to buy new, so does anyone know the best, most reliable brand of supports? One of my hood supports is bent, so I'll be replacing them as well.

As always, thanks for any help.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

contrary to popular belief, there is a difference between rear hatch support between the FB and the TA.

I have a 2002 FB and recently swapped out the hatch for the TA hatch (high rise spoiler)

My buddy works at the local Graff Chevrolet Parts department and he got me the right rear hatch struts. once I get home I can get you the actual part number off the packaging. they cost me $60 at his price.

not sure about hood supports
Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bleepster
contrary to popular belief, there is a difference between rear hatch support between the FB and the TA.

I have a 2002 FB and recently swapped out the hatch for the TA hatch (high rise spoiler)

My buddy works at the local Graff Chevrolet Parts department and he got me the right rear hatch struts. once I get home I can get you the actual part number off the packaging. they cost me $60 at his price.

not sure about hood supports
THIS right here. I made sure to get the struts off the T/A I got my high-rise hatch from, it's the firebirds and camaros that share the same struts, but the T/A struts are beefier due to the noticeably (when carrying over to install on the car) heavier hatch.

as for what brand is best, I don't know.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
THIS right here. I made sure to get the struts off the T/A I got my high-rise hatch from, it's the firebirds and camaros that share the same struts, but the T/A struts are beefier due to the noticeably (when carrying over to install on the car) heavier hatch.

as for what brand is best, I don't know.
Mine is just a firebird, and I don't plan on swapping to a trans am hatch (don't personally like the look of the high rise)

So basically I just need to get ones for the T/A?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used TA earlier this year, and also wanted to replace the stock worn struts that were starting to weaken.

Strong Arm 4897 Rear Hatch Struts
Strong Arm 4543 Hood Struts

These are what I bought, they having been A+ in my book.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

I got mine off Amazon. TUFF SUPPORT struts from Parts avenue. $33 with lifetime warranty. Working for me so far.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

I really like a lifetime warranty since I've had to replace them twice so far, but I've had bad luck with amazon orders. Are they amazon only our do they have an actual site?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

http://tuffsupport.com/Pages/Gas-Spr...-Black/19.aspx
Old 11-11-2015, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Alright then, thanks a bunch guys. Looks like my support problems are a thing of the past

Quick Reply: Hood & Hatch Supports