Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Outer window sweep replace W pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Outer window sweep replace W pics

So here is my attempt at replacing my window sweep on my 95 Trans-Am which I am right in the middle of completely redoing the interior. please overlook all the dust as I just got the nose media blasted down to the rubber in preparation for painting. So I will list my steps and attach the pictures. If I can add a title when I post it, maybe it will make it better to understand when you actually look at it. I have not seen this method as of yet, if its been posted then my bad.............
STEP:
1- Cut the little overlap rubber piece all the way from one end to another to expose the clips.

2-place a screwdriver in between the clip and sweep. The clips are attached with staples so prying them out was not difficult at all.

3- this detached the sweep from the clips making it very easy to see how the clips actually sit in their slot.

4- install the new sweep with knowledge knowing how its supposed to go in now.

I took off my panel, mirror and mirror bezel to do this. made it much easier to remove and re-install.

Cut the small overlap piece of the sweep

cut it all the way from one end to the other

Now jam a screwdriver behind each clip and the sweep and twist to pull the staples out

You can clearly see the staples and how they attach to the sweep

Now pull the sweep out

This is how she looks on the old sweep

and how she looks on the door. Look close at the center long piece how it goes into the hole

This is the little booger that causes all the stress

The new sweep with the new clip that now doesn't look so tough

and there you go. New sweep installed after about 10 minutes of wiggling and lining it up.

Hope this can help at least one person.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

A +++

Have you been able to notice a difference yet? (This thread is making me want to do this!)
Old 11-09-2015, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
A +++

Have you been able to notice a difference yet? (This thread is making me want to do this!)
I just washed my car and no water dripping behind door panel so yes, exactly what I wanted to stop.
Let me say this, I got the complete inner and outer kit from 1a auto, which they say these sweeps are lifetime warranted so the drivers side matched perfect but passengers did not. The middle clips were off about an inch so they would not line up properly. I drilled through the fiberglass lip and attached with small screws. Made it work. I am however going to contact 1A and call them out on this and see if they will ship another passenger side sweep.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Update**** just got off the phone with 1A, they want me to send pics of the old vs new and they will send out a replacement. Sounds fair to me
Old 11-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Thanks. Please post back with the result.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I did this on my 98 formula and it makes a difference. I bought mine off eBay though

Quick Reply: Outer window sweep replace W pics